DIY at Clynfyw - my challenge! ...pic heavy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So - having posted the "DIY Challenge" I decided I would have a go....
Friday I was Solo and set up camp - I used my base camp site at Clynfyw with some furniture that lives on site.
First of all was the group shelter - designed by me but made by Kathmandu Trekking 15 years ago

Then there was my stretcher bed the fabric (MOD Basha) sewn together with para cord.

On this I laid my Waxed cotton covered blanket as insulation

and on top of this went my blanket sleeping bag with its Thai silk liner.

My Waxed cotton utility sheet (waterproof/basha/groundshhet) as a top windproof layer.

The bed was then protected by my custom 4x3m canvas tarp that I ordered from Bilmo - my design spec - his manufacture :)

Spare clothing was mainly linen and wool items I originally made for my bits of work at Castell Henlys Iron Age for. The hood is because my sleeping bag has no real integral hood...

I wore the laced front sweater a lot over the weekend....

I carried my gear up in my canvas and leather rucksack and canvas totes and a waxed cotton sea bag while useful bits were on my belt.
Hand carved whistle, hand made pouch, !st Aid, medi kit, hygiene kit in home made stuff sacks, flint and steel and sulfur matches in leather pouches and the camera in a leather belt pouch.

I wore a canvas cap, cambric shirt, ripstop cotton gilet, linen trousers, wool booties and Iron age shoes, with my Ventile-esque SAS smock in reserve.

My stove was a Red Bull meths stove and a 3 hinge trivet all spoons and the cup were hand made and the pot grab made from wool I spun but which my wife knitted. The frying pan was a sweetie tin lid and a bit of broom handle... the billies were originally coffee storage tins.

While I lit the fire with flint and steel, Sulfur matches and home made wax and sawdust fireblocks.

My knives were made by me entirely - one by stock removal, one forged.

My lighting was a home made candle stick set

backed up with modern torches (no input from me on them...)

Coffee, sugar , flour all in home made pouches and the hatched was a found head revived from terminal rust while the cordage was spun up from garden twine...

Spare cup, bowl, waterbottle and mending kit all of my own making.

Friday lunch was tomato and pepper bannock with dried tomatoes, dried peppers and beef jerky - all prepared by me :)

And all in the woods was loverly and Springlike :)

In the afternoon I set to making stuff - charcloth, a besom broom, a tripod to hang gear on, a set of gluts and some lightweight mauls for splitting wood and a couple of pot hooks.

In the evening I read a book and drank some Sloe Brandy by candle light and then retired.

On Sat morning I did some bramble bashing, cut loads of firewood, made birch twig bundles for burning, put in a new pothanger rail over the fire before a lunch identical to Friday's, got in more water and then was joined by Mark.

After that not much work got done as we had a lot of catching up to do.... and a bit of birdwatching!
Sat night came too soon as did Sun Morning - with rain
We chatted and whittled (Mark made 2 spoons) antil noon when we dropped camp and wound our ways home....
A great time and one that proved that buying the latest kit is not really neccesary - the only commercial kit I used were a pot grab, one torch, my hygiene kit, my glasses, my camera ... and my underpants!
I am currently working on a lightweight 4x3 basha and have plans to make some ripstop cotton "combat" pants type trousers but I really need to work on some more modern shoes ... the flat leather soles gave no grip to speak of and the lack of a heel left my calf muscles stretched and aching... and I need to find someone to knit me some socks to my specs.
I may start pattern cutting for a set of underpants....

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Brilliant stuff Mr Fenna. You truly are a "man for all seasons".
Very impressed by the depth and breadth of the kit and skills you're showing here. Truly think if the vaunted EOTWAWKI were ever to happen you'd still be around happily living in the woods.
Was watching a video on viking sock making the other week. Though taught to knit as a kid I'd be hard pressed to do it now. But thinking that I'd like to give their "narlbinding" please excuse the spelling, a go. Only uses one needle. Think it could be a way to while away the evening in camp.
Cheers for posting up, enjoyable as ever and always a joy to see.
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You mean that the EOTWAWKI has NOT happened :eek:
It is all fun - I like making stuff (always have) and I like learning (always have) and I like getting outdoors :)
Put it together and this is what I got :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Excellent write up there John of what looked to be a fun weekend for you, thanks for all the effort you put into both :)

You got any more pics of the cambric shirt without the gillet on? It looks to be a nice shirt

P5230093.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not yet - I finished it on thursday and it went with me still with the making marks on it!.
It is basically the same as my woolen ones but button not zip front and with a stand collar... and it has double elbows and placket cuff slits.... and it is presently filthy after 2 days in the woods :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Possibly for a couple of days :) - I will run out of clean clothing if I try to do it for the whole Moot and I do not think the frying pan will last the course.... and I doubt I will have time to make any better shoes/boots before the Moot....
Are you going to have a go? You have the pack done....

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Hi John Fenna,
I really enjoy your foto's, that is some good vibes.
Actually made me want to meet you, especially love your knife with wooden sheath and the bowl too
ps who made your shoes? ta!

great thread

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE