Forged bits & bobs (+ an unforged bow & 550 para bracelet by me) - Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
As some may have read I am currently between secondary school maths teaching posts so I have a bit of idle time on my hands. :yikes:
Not one for sitting loafing, and using the skills I acquired from the brill forging course I went on where I made Gypsy Irons, pokers, fire rakes and camp tripods, etc (and 30+ years of modding and making in metal and wood), I have got my home made forge up and running :campfire: & I shall soon be making fire irons, camp griddles etc. If anyone wants anything doing in particular let me know via a PM as I shall be putting bits up on the site for sale etc, very shortly in the classified area;) and if your not a full member, you won't see them.
It will mean a break from making spoon knifes, draw knifes and other tools though.
A few bits I made recently :headbang:

100_0685.jpg

100_0939.jpg

100_0914.jpg

100_0940.jpg

100_0915.jpg

100_0941.jpg

100_0912.jpg

100_0946.jpg

100_0962.jpg

1handle-4blades5.jpg

Shavehorse.jpg

100_0702.jpg

100_0721.jpg

100_0740.jpg

tworightsandadoublewitharulercle-3.jpg

Drawknife3.jpg

:sad6: but 'ain't I been a busy, busy boy den?:Wow:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Kev, loving your work

I've got a few ideas rattling around inside my head for camp hardware, I'll try and get a few down on paper

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I thought Maths teachers were supposed to be down the beach getting sand kicked in their faces? Just kidding, brilliant work mate, you've got a regular production line going there. Some top stuff too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I quite fancy a two or three u-shaped flat iron rods that can be bashed into the ground over a fire.
Like the old trapper guy had on Rays programme ....

About 2:00 into this ..
[video=youtube;7QxaO4teWmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QxaO4teWmA[/video]

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Busy man!

Get a shorter sting on that bow, just long enough so that you can get it on the bow ;)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I quite fancy a two or three u-shaped flat iron rods that can be bashed into the ground over a fire.
Like the old trapper guy had on Rays programme ....

About 2:00 into this ..
[video=youtube;7QxaO4teWmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QxaO4teWmA[/video]

Look about 2 foot wide and 2 foot high. What size would you need?

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Busy man!

Get a shorter sting on that bow, just long enough so that you can get it on the bow ;)

That was just a set up for tillering. Not bad for first attempt if I say so myself. If you look at the boards it's resting against it didn't need any work doing on full draw with the tillering stick

Busy man!

That was just a set up for tillering. Not bad for first attempt if I say so myself. If you look at the boards it's rsting against it didn't need any work doing on full draw with the tillering stick

Biker

Maths teacher?!!! (Sputter sputter) but mayhs teachers are boring and have chalk on their elbows and fling board erasers at sleeping puplils.

I bet on the cool scale you're around the ice cube and Rum and Raisen ice cream scale.

Most impressive Kev' Envious as hell that you got to do a forging course. Inside I have a blacksmith just dying to get out and have a go. Seeing that Masterclass series only made the desire worse.

Really impressed with the stuff you've made, very professional looking too.

(PS Has that axe got to you yet? The gouge arrived safe and sound that I sent the same day)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
You wait till you see me when we invade France shortly. I even have LOVE and HATE tat's on my knuckles (bad boy bouncer days :) :))
Nobody has ever guessed yet that I'm a teacher.

Nothing yet. Hope MI5 hasn't got them as terrorist articles. I told postie I was waiting for them and he said are you sure they will get through.
Hopefully Monday. I'm at the meet but SWMBO will be at home (unless she hides them away for herself ;))

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
My cousin lent me this :35:

Forge1.jpg

Its a Swan Portaforge running on Propane (hot enough to weld with apparently) :yikes:
So I made these for a few people that ordered them

WKStrikers.jpg

I like my take on a sea creature (the big 'un) but the single rams horns turned out OK as well

Not for bad £10 & £7 each as it was the first attempt with a gas forge.:cool:

All are made from old Sheffield files and are heated :campfire: to critical & water dipped twice to realign the carbon atoms (so there 'kin hard and spark like demons)
They were even sparking while being cleaned up with a plastic buffing mop:yikes:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Commissioned for another striker so made 2 more while the gas was on :rolleyes:
All out of old 5mm x 25mm thick Sheffield made files ;) . They were heated to critical and water quenched, reheated to critical & water quenched again to realign the carbon crystals :cool:

WKStrikers4.jpg

1st is a conch (£8) , 2nd a double rams horn (commissioned)(£17) and a small twisted thing (well what would you call it :lmao: ) that was an off-cut from the middle one (£6)
I was really please with the effect that the file teeth give the rams horns. It makes them look more real IMHO

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Just the "Conch" (£8) and "Sea Creature" (£10) left now. Anyone fancy any of the others or there own design (not too elaborate as hand forged not machine formed please) let me know by PM, but away for a week from Monday. (Don't worry, house mate live in so tools don't get nicked or robbed)
The "Conch" is approx 60mm wide x 70mm long, and the "Sea Creature" is 95mm wide x 155mm long. Both are made from old Sheffield files, 5mm thick, and twice heated to critical and water quenched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE