Food slicer

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I can only invite you over sometime to sample a true deli sandwich. perhaps then you'll understand.

And once again with the arrogance.. I am a trained chef, I am fully aware of what paper thin slices of almost see through meat entails and practiced it on a weekly/daily basis.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"thin slice for deli sandwiches you'll never get with a knife "

Certainly sounded like that to me. If it simply miscommunication then I apologise.

And the shop I like to buy my near see through cuts if meat from, they do everything with a knife while you wait. The only slicer in the building is a knife.

Put your shovel down son, the hole you've dug yourself is deep enough, not just on this thread but on others you've 'contributed' to... I'm sure you have homework to attend to.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
TB: that makes me think of the French Mandolin slicer/shredder. I don't need one but I want one. I choke at the prices for the real ones.
I have hand held tools for shredding, zesting and ceramic peelers. I don't do enough to care who makes the most noise in the knife/slicer debate.
Getting down to team snarling, I see. Whatever floats your boat.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Put your shovel down son, the hole you've dug yourself is deep enough, not just on this thread but on others you've 'contributed' to... I'm sure you have homework to attend to.

So you are going to stand by the statement that one cannot slice meat as thin with a knife as you can a slicer? Clearly your knife skills are not as great as you presume.

And yes. I do have homework to attend to. I'm 27 and at university. So? Nice attempt at defamation of character though. Pretty pathetic.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
TB: that makes me think of the French Mandolin slicer/shredder. I don't need one but I want one. I choke at the prices for the real ones.
I have hand held tools for shredding, zesting and ceramic peelers. I don't do enough to care who makes the most noise in the knife/slicer debate.
Getting down to team snarling, I see. Whatever floats your boat.

Mandolins are great. And there really isn't a need to buy anything fancy with 101 blade attachments etc. Dauhphinoise potatoes, crisps, salads, all can be easily done with a 20 quid model (which I would consider expensive. And given this forum, you coOukd make one for pennies. Opines blade and a 4 inch log))

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As to slicing meat thinly it doesn't just depend on ones knife skills or whether one uses a knife or a slicer. How the meat is prepared/cooked before slicing and the type and cut of the meat comes into it too.
And from a Mods point of veiw can we please wind our necks in and not start a war over deli meat, hate to do some cutting of my own. ;)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Can anyone recommend a decent slicer? Ten thin slices of meat taste so much better than one normal slice.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So you are going to stand by the statement that one cannot slice meat as thin with a knife as you can a slicer? Clearly your knife skills are not as great as you presume......

Rik didn't say it; I did.

So tell me then, if you can do it with a knife doesn't it get tiring? I mean properly thin deli meat is thin enough to need roughly 20 to 30 slices for a single (small) sandwich. Triple that for a large one. I take it that means you're willing to make that many slices by hand with a knife to get one sandwich?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As to slicing meat thinly it doesn't just depend on ones knife skills or whether one uses a knife or a slicer. How the meat is prepared/cooked before slicing and the type and cut of the meat comes into it too.......

Yeah, Somebody already commented about chilling it properly before slicing. It obviously needs to be firm enough to hold together when sliced that thin.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And once again with the arrogance.. I am a trained chef, I am fully aware of what paper thin slices of almost see through meat entails and practiced it on a weekly/daily basis.

So I take it you're declining the invitation? It could have turned into a chance to show off your skills.

While I'm not a "trained" chef, I do have some fair experience over the last 59 years. Both cooking and enjoying the cooking of others (many of whom were "trained") In all honesty I'd enjoy sampling your food as well. No antagonism intended.

As to the "arrogance." Perhaps, but in my case I'm offering to show what I know. Granted the likelihood of you ever making the trip is low (because of practical travel and expense reasons, not because of animosity) But the offer was genuine.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
From time to time I get to visit a serious kitchen store which has an extraordinary stock of condiments and tools.
Far, far worse than a gun shop.

Their 2 different mandolin brands each run maybe $175 or so. That's about 2:1 = 90BPS.
I fear that the thrill would wear off faster than my apetite for things I could make.

BTW. Do you all realize that SubWay uses a polymer plasticizer in their bun dough,
some kind of ****e that is used in flexible plastic bottles? I don't give a sweet rat's patootie
how thin they slice the fillings.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....BTW. Do you all realize that SubWay uses a polymer plasticizer in their bun dough,
some kind of ****e that is used in flexible plastic bottles? I don't give a sweet rat's patootie
how thin they slice the fillings.

Like I said, I don't count Subway (and their's ain't deli sandwiches nor "thin" meat)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Doing my last charity shop run of the year ( kids finish on Friday ) I picked this up for £2.99

image.jpg1_zpshyxhqmbr.jpg

Still sealed in its shrink wrap. No idea if it's a good brand but at least it's German made. I assume the thing next to it is some sort of grater.

Atb

tom

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that if I was cooking for a crowd/family, day in and day out, I'd seriously consider a mandolin for rapid salad prep.
Three Chinese veg cleavers, several very good Porsche knives and I am in no rush for myself, at all.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My meat slicer is about 30 years old and still going strong. All metal, built like a tank. It's a Rival. Don't know if they still make 'em but I know you can pick them up on ebay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE