Follow the sheeple or head for the hills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bug out or follow the sheeple?

• I'd go to where the police sent me.

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • I'd grab my rucksack and go bushcrafting.

Votes: 104 86.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Around 24 people? I think it'd be time to explain to them that, in my new found guise of survival expert, with the several days or rain and little or no shelter, similar situation with food, that they'd be better off being uncomfortable in the school or finding alternative places to stay rather than dieing of exposure.

If they got insistant on staying I think I'd have to save them by heading back to the school myself, after all they are friends and neighbours.

You have a very valid point there Glen, we are after all a small minority (people who know a thing or two about living in the wilder places of our planet!)
Most people would succumb to the elements if led into the hills, even if they were given advice, so yes let them go to the shelter of the schools or wherever else they have been told to go.
Although I would still go elsewhere myself.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Most people would succumb to the elements if led into the hills, even if they were given advice, so yes let them go to the shelter of the schools or wherever else they have been told to go.
Although I would still go elsewhere myself.

That many people with no kit or experience wouldn't do the woods much good either.

If they turned up fully kitted it might stand a chance of working, maybe even as many unkitted, inexperienced that could squeeze under my 3X3 tarp and be warmed by the one fire. 24 I wouldn't contemplate while there were better options for them.

If it had been something like a mini tornado and the ground/wood wasn't sodden maybe but I doubt I'd get much sleep, what with worrying about them torching the place.

Though I would suggest taking them out afterwards, say half a dozen at a time, at least partially kitted, then they'd probably realise why I suggested returning to the school at the time ;)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
God thread, of to the hills for me too!! Might pop back down into town on the odd occasion to resupply and see what the news was.

Reminds me of the 80s movie Red Dawn, but minus the invasion....

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
The natuaral reaction to this is to say "head for the hills" but then I start to think about it more.

I'd want to head first for the school to make the authorities aware I was ok and not to search for me. This would also give me a chance to see what was going on and what the set up was like. I might also then be able to get a bit of extra food / drink before heading for the hills with my limited rations.

This would also give me the chance to think more about the given situation. As for everyone following me to the hills, well I'd hope to "lose myself" amonst the masses at the school so that those that knew me couldn't follow me ;)

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Off to the hills, but might have to fight the kids to get the hammock, at least they have their own tarp now thanks to Decathlon!

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
The sheeple will bring disease, starvation, and thievery. Better off learning how to rely upon yourself. I vote hills.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Another vote for the hills,

One look at what happened in the US will show you what happens when you stuff a load of people in one place and things start getting stretched.

For starters any bloody excuse for me to get out bushcraftin will not be wasted lol :D My Garage is like an army and navy store with enough bush kit for around 4 people and 10 or more with tents. Food would be taken from the house and my canoe would also be taken if possible. Im not going to be going all survivalist here and looking to camo up and start setting man traps i would just rather have my own fate in my own hands.

I have little trust for the government and authorities who will have to make decisions that are best for the masses not the individuals (within limited budgets of course :rolleyes: ) The floods in the US after Katrina just went to show how badly things can go and how badly the situation can be handled afterwards.

naylor b

Jun 30, 2007
uk
head for the hills for me i cant stand busy place and haveing to eat drink and sleep in the same room with hunders of people for weeks doesnt tick any of my boxxes. And to miss an opertunity to bushcrafting would just be silly!

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
There's also the possibility that some jobsworth will try to say that any provisions go in the communal pot, and remember it's illegal to carry any of your sharps into a school.

cheers Roy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
sheeple - wow, there's a nice Belittling term for anyone who doesn't give a rats about bushcraft.

Actually, I would go with the sheeple... it's going to be pretty damn hard for the police to contact you in the event of a major problem if you've just sodded off... especially if neighbours know you're not away on holiday/business.

Also, while your house may only be under water for a day or so, the mess of overflowing sewage, litter and dead rodents will probably not help the carpet. you may want to get your post, charge your mobile and let friends, family, office etc etc etc know you're ok and that things are in order... perhaps let your insurers know they need to pop over or arrange more long term temporary accommodation while your ground floor is gutted and fixed?

Perhaps a third, option that would have some responsibility or letting everyone know you're ok, how to contact you, where you are going and how long you will be... simple stuff most travelers should be doing anyway... it'd be so funny if someone giggling away at their own smugness slipped down that very very wet hill and broke their leg... because that wouldn't be another burden on an already stretched emergency service would it!

Selfish and ill advised.

p.s. does "sheeple" cover physically disabled, mentally handicapped, injured, old, pregnant, ill, those with very small children or those generous enough to try to help while at the school?

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I'd bug out for a few days, like I do frequently for fun, better than being herded into a school with screaming kids 24/7 and disorientated people all complaining.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
No offence to anyone, but I do wonder at times if a lot of people on here fantasitise about these little disasters so they can run off to the hills.

When the buncefield depot exploded my grandparents who lives only a few miles away were evacuated due to the damage to the house and the potential dangers, as was the rest of the street. They were all sent to the local hall where a register type checklist was taken, before they were able to get to a friends in a nearby town and they could inform officals that they had alternative arrangements sorted. They then had to organise insurance, arrangements to get home, they had the threat of the houses being ransacked while the street was unprotected. If you really wanted to dissapear then fair enough, but at least think about letting people know that your doing so.

Plus Joe is quite right about the authorities having enough to worry about without the possibility of missing people because they had a little fantasy of running off to the hills and living a new life while the brown sticky stuff hits the revolving cooling device for everyone else.

I seriously doubt that would be the top of your mind if it was your house under water.

Also fantasy situation or not, I doubt that all the people who have been affected by these floods would be that appreciative of some of the comments you guys have made.

Basically have a little consideration for those that will be trying to help you and those that aren't as lucky as we are to have the option to head for the hills.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thank you squidders:You_Rock_ have an invisible rep point.

Altruism is a survival trait.

..but so is cannabalism, and there is a time a place for both. Flooding in Britain does not lead to katrina type situations. It is a few days in school hall with people you know normally in a hall you know. It is not a big deal. The odd bit of looting I would find funny if it was my house. Some scroat paddling through raw sewage to nik my rubbish, now that would keep me laughing for weeks.

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
i Vote going to school, as i would like to help my mum with my little sisters, its hard enough at home let alone in a crowded place espcially for the smallest Shes autistic and doesnt really enjoy being out of the norm or crowded places..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE