Water collection options for the garden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Someone on a camper forum who said he worked for hoze lock said there is no legal requirements controlling what hosepipe is made from.
This mentions legionella may be a risk too.
I have a hoze lock pipe with a timer on it feeding my polytunnel drip system every morning, plus another connecting two waterbutts, but I'm looking to change to mains water blue 25mm or food grade hose pipe soon. I have no idea if plastic from the hose can end up in my tomatoes?
Are water butts food grade anyway? These might be an alternative?
You shouldn’t use the mdpe blue pipe above ground if you can help it because it isn’t UV stable. Instead you should use the black HDPE pipe and compression fittings.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
For anyone wanting a food grade water storage system I would recommend using a palletised IBC cube but try to buy one that has been used to ship syrup for a drinks company. If you’re planning on using it outdoors then you may want to consider using one of the black IBC cubes and insulating the pipework.

Reactions: TLM

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is a good video, thank you :)
Does one of the IBCs have an overflow? How do you connect that, would it be down pipe sized I spose?
One of my hoses is the same type of red food grade hose used in campers from when we had one, but when it's even a bit chilly out it gets super stiff to unwind.
Ours doesn't because we aren't on mains drainage here in the Fens. If I was, I would connect the first IBC using a water butt connector. That forms an automatic overflow back into the drainpipe when the water reaches a set height

Reactions: Ystranc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE