Water collection options for the garden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're a low mains water using household and looking to stay that way. However we're doing more gardening lately and need more water than a slimline eaterbutt gives. We're looking at moving that down to the front where less water is needed and replacing it with a higher volume water butt. However it's only possible spot due to gutter flow is by the side gate where a water collection vessel that sticks out too much will create issues with access.

I think there's only two options, a water butt against the wall that is wide side to side but a smaller dimension out from the wall.

The other option is putting in another water collection option to supplement the existing one that just fits. We can't daisy chain them along the wall because of space and a window, so it would need to be elsewhere. There's no gutters on the summerhouse or greenhouse to collect rain efficiently. Is there another way to collect water?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find that it's worth the expense to fit the narrow gutters and downpipes to greenhouses and sheds. It keeps the water away from them, but it also collects it for use on chosen plants, planters, etc., and not just soak under the sheds or splash against wall. It's kind of a win/win.

Reactions: Ozmundo

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Put gutters on your greenhouse and summer house.

You can get a device tht will mount near a downpipe on the wall that will then divert the water a much longer distance to fill a remote water butt (or IBC or whatever)

No experience of it myself, I just came across it while trying to work out my rain saving

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Very informative video BR. I'd seen it on another thread before I posted but didn't watch it as it looked beyond what we need. It is however very informative and surprisingly it was relevant to our small requirements. I think the idea of linking containers together with hozelock or even gardenia connectors makes a good idea. They don't even need to be nearby.

The 100l water butt we have has a flat circle area just below the top curve leading to the lid. This has a plug in it which I'm guessing is to allow an overflow into a second water butt. A hose connector and hose to the next one at the bottom might be one option. The second container being other side of the adjacent window to the first. Could be a 230l or even 300l one there.

We're low use but do run out on dry spells when we have them, not that often being south Cumbria though. A little more might be enough.

Reactions: British Red

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would worry about leaks emptying all the connected tanks if I connected them at the bottom. More of a worry for us as we're not on the mains.

I would second the idea of rerouting the downpipes of the house gutters. A water.butt doesn't have to be next to a downpipe.

Reactions: Kadushu

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I connect 3 butts together using hoses set up as a permanent syphon. This means the butts don't need to be drilled anywhere and the water level in the 3 butts is kept identical. The downside is that if the level drops below the end of a hose then the syphon is broken and will have to be set up again.

Reactions: Toddy and Stew

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I can’t imagine ANY normal domestic house using more than 20cm3 a day to be honest
SI demon strikes again. ;)

I am collecting water from about 50 m² roof area to 1000l cube that did cost me about eur100. It has been there for about 20 years and I think it has run dry once.

Reactions: MrEd and SaraR

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Someone on a camper forum who said he worked for hoze lock said there is no legal requirements controlling what hosepipe is made from.
This mentions legionella may be a risk too.
I have a hoze lock pipe with a timer on it feeding my polytunnel drip system every morning, plus another connecting two waterbutts, but I'm looking to change to mains water blue 25mm or food grade hose pipe soon. I have no idea if plastic from the hose can end up in my tomatoes?
Are water butts food grade anyway? These might be an alternative?

Reactions: Ystranc

rarms

Aug 6, 2017
Littlehampton, West Sussex
For a garden scenario, and if you have space, I would look on facebook marketplace or similar for some plastic pallets, stack a few on top of each other near a guttering downpipes, and then put an IBC on top. That should give you enough height to gravity feed a small veg plot or similar.

Reactions: TeeDee

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Gravity feed? Not in my house. It goes up steeply from the patio with the drain the downpipe goes to. I don't think I've lived in a place where the garden could be gravity fed. Some people must live in very flat places.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
That is a good video, thank you :)
Does one of the IBCs have an overflow? How do you connect that, would it be down pipe sized I spose?
One of my hoses is the same type of red food grade hose used in campers from when we had one, but when it's even a bit chilly out it gets super stiff to unwind.

Reactions: British Red

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
We're a low mains water using household and looking to stay that way. However we're doing more gardening lately and need more water than a slimline eaterbutt gives. We're looking at moving that down to the front where less water is needed and replacing it with a higher volume water butt. However it's only possible spot due to gutter flow is by the side gate where a water collection vessel that sticks out too much will create issues with access.

I think there's only two options, a water butt against the wall that is wide side to side but a smaller dimension out from the wall.

The other option is putting in another water collection option to supplement the existing one that just fits. We can't daisy chain them along the wall because of space and a window, so it would need to be elsewhere. There's no gutters on the summerhouse or greenhouse to collect rain efficiently. Is there another way to collect water?
You could always add another downspout somewhere more convenient. This will also make it necessary to move some of the guttering clips up or down to ensure the water drains towards the new downspout. We have a few rainwater butts dotted around where they’re most use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE