Folder for bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
Dear All,
I have made a couple of posts but this is my first question. I have read a few discussions on fixed vs. folder on the forum and also suitable combinations of both.

Would the Flexcut Carvin' Jack be a good bushcraft folder?

It looks like quite a small knife with potential to be tremendously versatile and safe to put in your pack. I have been thinking about getting a small folder to complement my GB wildlife hatchet and Frost's Mora and this seemed a good option.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
RJP. :-?

Cool

Jan 30, 2004
Here's the link to one: http://www.woodcarvingstore.com/FlexcutWoodcarvingTools/CarvingJack.asp

jack_open.jpg

It looks pretty cool, but I'd take a SAK or Multitool. (and a spoon LOL) A saw, scissors, pliers etc would be more useful for me than carving tools. JMO however.[/url]

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That's a great folder for whittling and woodcarving. I love using mine. But it's use is fairly limited to detail work although you could clean small game with it and even gut a deer. But I see it more as a luxury than as a "go to" folder. It will carve spoons and trap triggers etc, but you'd be at it for a long time trying to carve a canoe paddle for instance. And the tools are delicately razor sharp.

Personally I want something with a bigger blade to back up my fixed blade, like a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman. Something with a saw blade is very handy and reassuring.

I can say that since I got my carvin' jack, I probably won't be going on too many backpacking trips without it. I love using it because I love carving twigs and such. But I will still be lugging along a larger folder. One of my favorites for backpacking is the SAK Camper and I back that up with a Leatherman Squirt P4 bacause I like the pliers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE