Is this normal for a Castrom?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
@Murf That’s really great. Pleased to hear it’s being sorted.
Yeah, absolutely, being polite and kind goes a long way.
Do you have to send back the original?
I’ve been after one of these for a while, if you’d consider parting with the first one?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It is obvious you are/were not happy with the grind on the knife, I cannot understand anyone praising Casstrom, if I had reason to send a knife back to a manufacturer and they replied as you stated ..which seems a bit weak for a knife with a 25year warranty .."Leo said that the difference in grind was within acceptable limits for the knive based on it's price point and manufacturing and would not affect it's performance." I would have asked for a full refund, and looked elsewhere for a knife.
There is no reason to accept a sub-standards item, and its not as though it's a cheap knife.

Last edited:

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
It is obvious you are/were not happy with the grind on the knife, I cannot understand anyone praising Casstrom, if I had reason to send a knife back to a manufacturer and they replied as you stated ..which seems a bit weak for a knife with a 25year warranty .."Leo said that the difference in grind was within acceptable limits for the knive based on it's price point and manufacturing and would not affect it's performance." I would have asked for a full refund, and looked elsewhere for a knife.
There is no reason to accept a sub-standards item, and its not as though it's a cheap knife.
Fair enough. We all approach situations differently I suppose. Personally, I value the kind of service I received from Castrom and I appreciate the effort they've gone to with me. Customer engagement seems to be very important to them and I would have no hesitation in ordering from them again. Add to that the knowledge I gained about blades and grinds from some of the replies to my original post as well as making contact with a local chap who sharpens and grinds blades for a living then I would say that I've had a very good result. None of that would have come about if I'd simply sent it back asking for a refund. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been easier, it would have and I did think at one point about sending it back and looking at a TBS but like I said, we all approach situations differently. For me, a good natured discussion about a possible problem helps me to gain insight into it and so better informs me about a possible solution.

So, in hindsight, would it have been easier for me to simply send the knive back and look elsewhere? Yes. Would I have gained the knowledge, engagement and contacts I now have if I had done that? No.

Different approach, different outcome. Neither is right nor wrong just different. Horses for courses stuff really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE