One knife or different knives for different occasions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 31, 2021
Clitheroe
For edc , I dont think the Swiss army can be bettered for its usefulness. It might not be the highest build quality but it ain't bad and to build a far better version would raise the prices 20x

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
My new edc is this....

21ed43ade2df498727fc8030dd28d57f.jpg

A gift from a guy I work with. I'll see how it goes.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Day to day use my sak huntsman or issue clasp p/k. Do own an old leatherman but rarely gets used.
Fixed knife is my Chris Caine knife and parang or a mora. Having a practice with a svord but probably won’t keep. Got rid of all my axes.

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I carry a Victorinox Hiker on a cord around my neck and most often have a Condor Mayflower which I gave a Scandi grind. I find a Scandi grind very handy for simple/less refined woodworking - tidying up frayed ends on a saw cut, smoothing out simple joints, putting on a quick and dirty bevel, etc. Things like making and fitting gates, sheds and decking. Can't say I do a lot of bushcraft really.

I also have an Esee JG5 which I use every day in the kitchen for food prep or in my veg garden for trimming carrot tops and so on.

I have several other fixed blades which don't see everyday use but are used for carving, coppicing, snedding and whatnot.

Mar 31, 2021
Clitheroe
I started carrying two knives during foot and mouth . In the unfortunate event of loosing a knife ( something I haven't done in many , many years ) . Later on I have moved to one for game and one for genral use like cutting wood for fire ot other use , ropes and cordage etc
I also make knives that will work for most things but there are alway compromises to be made

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I’m an odd sort of Bushcraft instructor. I often do carry a knife. Generally someone is at hand that does.
When I need a blade I choose the appropriate tool for the task. Skinning a deer I use a bark river mini Canadian.
If I’m carving a spoon I use a Forestknights Sloyd knife is one is handy. Or more often a mora as I have literally 100s.
I have a range of carving knives. Various styles of spoon knives.

Around 30 to 40 axes. I lose count. Sometimes I give one away a d occasionally I buy another that takes my fancy. My favourites are my Nic Westermann, GB Large Carver and a tiny no name I got for £10:00. I’d cry if I lost that one.

I’m quite fond of my leatherman jiuce xe. That’s been on every expedition with me for the past 20 years.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
My tastes for carry differ all the time, if it is a long time out doors in a base camp, and I am a well equipped. My fallkniven A1, and my lovely scandi S30v Enzo 95 trapper. For carving I always reach for a scandi grind blade.

If I am going to take a single blade, I would take the flat ground knife research rasul. There is something about the blade shape and steel that screams it can do it all in a small package. I am yet to put it through its paces, but it just feels right.

Every day carry as a folder it is currently a lionsteel thrill, but if I had to choose one it would be the Spyderco Gayle Bradley 2.

I always carry a multi tool, particularly when at work.

Axe wise I really like the robin wood small carving axe, Gränsfors carpenter axe and a crkt Chogan. Again if I had to choose one, it would be the Gränsfors carpenter axe, which is a bit of a sleeper axe, but very good.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
This is a question that keeps me awake at night but most of the problems are caused by UK law and the general knife-fear culture we live in. I used to rely on the SAK farmer for everything but ended up downgrading to a normal SAK so I could have scissors and tweezers etc. It's more versatile but not great as a knife and it's already getting quite battered from light use because the metal is so soft. I've got a Leatherman Rebar which is a useful tool with a better knife but it's heavy and bulky, accessing the tools is tricky and it's not UK legal. To be properly useful to me a knife has to have a pocket clip and be one hand opening. My Spiderco Persistance is great for that but not UK legal which leaves me wondering why I'm not just using a fixed blade knife whenever I use it in the places where it is legal. I'm thinking of trying the CRKT Pilar instead as a UK legal option but would I ever bother to carry it if I had another knife in my pocket anyway? Which brings me full circle back to slumming it with the SAK.

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I carry a Rough Rider Canoe in my pocket all the time except Football matches.
I have a sak huntsman if I have a bag.
I have a reason I am willing to stand up in court and say, I have my Leatherman Charge TI.
Hiking I have as extra my CRKT knife in my survival kit.
Bushcrafting I have my large Rough Rider Canoe, a mora, and a folding saw.
If they sorted UK law so it made sense I would carry the leatherman charge all the time as it is the one EDC tool to rule the world however I live in the real world and carry as I am prepared to describe in court.

Reactions: Van-Wild

subwoofer

Mar 8, 2013
Hove
First 'one is none', I could leave it there, but...

To me, a knife is like any other tool. Do I have just one drill bit, just one spanner, just one saw, just one pair of pliers? Definitely not. Different knives suit different tasks, and although you can make do with just one knife if you have to, why would you?

EDC, of course, is limited to UK EDC legal folders, and this means I will have three or more on me (Victorinox minichamp on my keys, plus a minimum of two other bigger slip-joints - today I also have the Fallkniven U1c, HH pilar, and Rough Rider Glow, but this changes).

Once I get out to where I can carry fixed blades, then there will be smaller blades for fine work, FFG blades for slicing and food prep, maybe a scandi or two for wood processing, and I might prefer a larger blade in place of using a hatchet or axe.

So definitely, absolutely, many knives.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
EDC, of course, is limited to UK EDC legal folders, and this means I will have three or more on me (Victorinox minichamp on my keys, plus a minimum of two other bigger slip-joints - today I also have the Fallkniven U1c, HH pilar, and Rough Rider Glow, but this changes).
Is EDC the base or does yours also change based on circumstance? I ask this because when I carry my Leatherman, I class it as my EDC. In fact I would argue that every knife I carry is an EDC knife because it is part of that days EDC.

subwoofer

Mar 8, 2013
Hove
Is EDC the base or does yours also change based on circumstance? I ask this because when I carry my Leatherman, I class it as my EDC. In fact I would argue that every knife I carry is an EDC knife because it is part of that days EDC.

For me Every Day Carry is exactly that, and yes it is a baseline upon which I build where circumstances allow. EDC will be those items/tools I can legally carry in all but exceptional circumstances (such as if entering premises where no knives of any sort are allowed or flying).

However, we can't carry everything all the time, so items will go in and out of rotation and be swapped out as part of the EDC baseline.

EDC is completely personal and what you can carry might differ to someone else, so your EDC and EDC baseline might include lock knives or fixed blades.

I often think of two classes of carry, EDC, as I said, for those things with little to no restrictions (for your individual circumstances), and DC (just 'daily carry') for items you are now able to legally carry on your person, but only due to having good reason or due to a specific need.

Not sure if I've made things clearer or more confused.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I'm not very knife orientated & only have a few but when I do take one out I expect it to be able to deal with everything. I don't have a knife for this or a knife for that.or a back up or a back up for the back up. I don't do any major construction work either when I'm in the wood(s) so I can get away with something simple.:)

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
Victorinox Huntsman and Morakniv Bushcraft seem to meet my camping needs.

The Huntsman or a Spartan usually find their way into my pocket each day.

carrying more than one tool goes back quite a few years in history and all over the earth disk -- "Otzi" would be an early example...
i'm falling into the second catergory. before my misfortune more than 2years ago i used to carry an F1(general cutting chores), Buck 684(rehandled with hardwood scales, for small game/ eel/fish gutting/skinning + general food preparation) and original Leatherman Supertool -- a combination which worked well for me and is still bitterly missed (may the scumbags who robbed them spend a long time picking up soap in a nicaraguan prison!); hopefully at some point this year i'll be able to get a new Leatherman + Pocketboy... (y)
currently a Bahco "multipurpose tradesman knife"(basically a Mora companion with a different name) serves as my edc, in addition i'm also usually not far from a large knife, parang, nata and/or machete (not sure if they classify as knives...) depending on mood+task (fortunately knife laws are less fuzzy in central america @least in the countryside :cool:

in addition i've a few knives for whittling but they don't get carried around as whittling (spoons etc.) is usually done only "at home"...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE