Is this normal for a Castrom?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
Hi all
For a long time I've got by using a little Hultafors utility knive and a GB small forest axe for all of my bladed needs. A few weeks ago I thought it was time for a moderate upgrade on the knive front and so decided on a Castrom Lars Falt Bushcraft Knive on the basis that it's pretty solid and didn't break the bank.
The knive came and after looking it over, there seemed to be a big difference in the grinds on either side with one being almost a millimetre bigger than the other. The retailer exchanged the knive and the replacement came today. It too seems to have a big difference in the two sides. I've closely messured the grinds at various points and there is definitely a 1mm difference. It's easily noticed if looking straight down over the knive point (as in the photo). I would have thought that the two sides of the point should be perfectly equal for an equal grind but as the photo shows, one side is noticeably longer than the other. I maybe wrong but wouldn't that mean that one side has a different grind angle than the other. My question is this... is this normal and am I being pedantic or has Castrom got a quality control problem?

Attachments

• 20220804_134801.jpg
    20220804_134801.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 18

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There are knives that are asymmetric by purpose (like the Yakut) but I don't think that was supposed to be.

Reactions: Murf

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
These two photos show the differences a bit better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-165123_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-165123_Gallery.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220804-164920_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-164920_Gallery.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 12

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
If you’re not happy, return it.

However!

Is it going to make a noticeable difference in use? Probably not.

As you sharpen it you can slowly tweak it. If it’s going to be used as a main knife, in time you just won’t notice it. I couldn’t say that I pay any attention to how even the bevels are when I sharpen, just if it’s sharp. We all use a knife asymmetrically.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
It seems to be quite common on this knife. It’s the same on mine but I don’t look that hard and it hasn’t affected anything, however as already said if you’re not happy send it back. You’re well within your rights to.

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
If you’re not happy, return it.

However!

Is it going to make a noticeable difference in use? Probably not.

As you sharpen it you can slowly tweak it. If it’s going to be used as a main knife, in time you just won’t notice it. I couldn’t say that I pay any attention to how even the bevels are when I sharpen, just if it’s sharp. We all use a knife asymmetrically.
Yeh, I do get your point about tweaking it over time and I'd be fine with that if it wasn't for the fact that there's a 1mm difference. 1mm of steel is a lot of material to remove. I haven't got a bench grinder so all that would have to come off by hand. You're right, I can return it and that would be the end of but my post was more about asking if the grind was normal for Castrom and if I should worry about.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Don’t tweak it in one go. Just every time you sharpen, take it a bit across.

You’re clearly not happy though so you should send it back.

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
You're partially right.. I'm not particularly happy with it but at the same time I'm not particularly un-happy. I mean, I'm not going to lose sleep over the grind on a knive. What I am though is indifferent to it which is a real shame as I was really looking forward to receiving what for me is a big leap in knive ownership. I remember the day I received my GB forest axe. I got that after using a little b&q hatchet for a long time. I liked that little hatchet but the GB was such a perfect upgrade that I still smile to myself as I use it around camp. It's a joy to use and I was hoping to get the same sort of experience from the Casstrom but I think grind issues and my own indifference to it will push me to look somewhere else. Like I said, a shame but nothing more than that and my trusty little Hultafors can soldier on for now.

Olly.B

May 23, 2021
Fareham
It's one of those things that I probably would never have noticed but now you mention it I'm going to check mine. It's worth asking Casstrom and getting their opinion. There may be a reason for it in which case you may be removing metal unnecessarily.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Is the bevel angle the same on both sides? They just pushed a little harder on one side? If so, I'd ignore it and take more off the short side to even them up over time if it mattered.

Some times, it does.
Away in the back of an old Asian grocery store were the dishes and knives. I bought a nice little 6" cleaver for veg. I'm ambidextrous. I noticed that I had to hold it differently from left to right. Sure enough, the bevels were not the same. The store owner showed me that it was a right-hand veg slicer. I bought 2 more of them and did the grinding to make the bevel symmetrical and 20 degrees. Makes me want to cut my 8" cleavers down to 6".

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
Is the bevel angle the same on both sides? They just pushed a little harder on one side? If so, I'd ignore it and take more off the short side to even them up over time if it mattered.

Some times, it does.
Away in the back of an old Asian grocery store were the dishes and knives. I bought a nice little 6" cleaver for veg. I'm ambidextrous. I noticed that I had to hold it differently from left to right. Sure enough, the bevels were not the same. The store owner showed me that it was a right-hand veg slicer. I bought 2 more of them and did the grinding to make the bevel symmetrical and 20 degrees. Makes me want to cut my 8" cleavers down to 6".
Thanks for that. That was really helpful. I can understand the problem a lot better now. As best as I can measure they are different. I've added a couple of photos with an angle app on top of the blade. The shorter side is 13 degrees and the longer side is 11 degrees. By taking the shorter side down to match the longer it would finish with a grind of 11 degrees on both sides. I suppose my next question would be... is 11 degrees on both sides ok for a scandi grind on a bushcraft knive?

I should say there is a big positive coming out of the this and that is I'm learning more about knives and blades than ever.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-173520_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-173520_Gallery.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220804-173419_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-173419_Gallery.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
It's one of those things that I probably would never have noticed but now you mention it I'm going to check mine. It's worth asking Casstrom and getting their opinion. There may be a reason for it in which case you may be removing metal unnecessarily.
Yep, I'm chatting (not complaining) to Casstrom and I should say they are a great bunch of lads. My query has gone to the MD whom also happens to be the grind guru. I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: wookii

Olly.B

May 23, 2021
Fareham
That would be very useful thank you. There may be a bias as 90% of the population are right handed. I had an argument with Hultafors a couple of years ago as they sold a chisel knife which only works for right handed people (screw the 10% of you lefties we can't be bothered to tool up to cater for lefties was their position). Gransfors are a good company as they do their carpenter's axe for example for both left and right handed people.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Top quality* wood carving tools such as gouges are normally ground for a total included bevel of 20 degrees. Carving knives don't take as much bashing and they are commonly 12-15 degrees. Spoke shaves 25, draw knives 28 and both elbow and D adzes are 28-30. Those angles put enough steel behind the edge to support it in activity.
*Pfeil, Stubai, Taylor, Iles and so on.

Since I bought those 3 little cleavers, I have revised them all to be 20 degrees total included bevel, as are my 2 x 8" cleavers. It doesn't matter now, right or left, they perform with my same
expectations.

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
Interesting topic here. What’s the latest? Have you heard back from Casstrom?
Im nearly sorted. Like I said, I was speaking to Castrom (not complaining). Their main uk contact is Leo, a top bloke based in Sweden. After a chat about the problem, Leo said that the difference in grind was within acceptable limits for the knive based on it's price point and manufacturing and would not affect it's performance. I was ok with that and was prepared to simply crack on with it by getting the blade a new grind locally but Leo went on to say that it wouldn't sit right with him that there was a customer with one of his knives left to feel disappointed every time it was used. To that end Leo said that he was going to arrange for a replacement and that he was personally going to the factory / warehouse to hand select a perfect knive for me and dispatch it from Sweden. Well, to be honest what more can say. Customer service like that is a rare thing these days. Leo and Castrom have gone above and beyond what could have been expected in this scenario. I appreciate that in the grand scheme of things my problem was a small one but Leo took it seriously and resolved it brilliantly.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Leo and Castrom have gone above and beyond what could have been expected in this scenario. I appreciate that in the grand scheme of things my problem was a small one but Leo took it seriously and resolved it brilliantly.
Acting reasonably sometimes brings out surprising results. :) :thumbsup:

I don't think the difference in angle would have affected the performance in any meaningful way but as you said it is in one's mind still.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE