flint-knapping in England & Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mel

Nov 13, 2003
West Sussex
www.wilderness121.co.uk
I would love to come to a flint knapping gathering - especially intriguied by the idea of making arrow heads out of bottle bottoms. I also have a bag full of left flight feathers from Christmas turkeys if anyone wanted to make some complete arrows.

: -l)

Can a make a plea for it to take place at a weekend though please or in school holidays - us teachers don't have the option of taking a day or two off work.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Antonio and everyone else

David here in Berkshire. Just found out about your knappin idea. I have the perfect location to use at Ipsden, South Oxfordshire, easy to find cheap to rent with open sided barn if it rains, catering facilities and camping field with fire pit etc plus I have 3/4 of a tonne of beautiful Grimes Graves black flint we can use!!! and I can organise it for the spring. interested ?

E me at david@wildernessliving.co.uk

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I would be up for learning some flint skills.... so would my other half Karen. Sounds like a nice place roving rich has found, though garys offer of wales is closer to me ;-)

Ed

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Antonio, It is an ideal site. If a bit far south for some?
I was unsure if we could use it, so had a word with my friend Dave who's jumped at the chance. He's a very keen Knapper (has a knapping pit at the bottom of his garden) and was wanting to do something simular anyway.
I believe you met him at the gathering ?
He is the man with all the contacts at the site so you would be best Emailing him at the address above for details.
Happy to be of any help

Rich :-D
PS he was in the process of logging on here so you should all be able to chat to him soon.

I am new to this website but have an interest in learning to knap.
I run a youth group in the Northants area and may be able to get exclusive access to a site for the weekend.
No flint available locally but woodland and field site for camping if required.
Email for more chat if interested

Right guys,

here an update on the organising of a flintknapping event:

I have spoken for a long, long time with Will Lord. (For those of you who don't know Will, He is John Lords son. You can check out about Will on his own web-site: http://www.beyond2000bc.co.uk/)

I spoke to him about the idea of a knap-in, and Will is very keen as well to organise such a gathering. We wer thinking about April-time. There are a few locations. One location I prefer is at Will's. There is the "flintknappers-lodge" for teaching under, a lot of material, a pub, B&B, and a camping field, not 500 Yards away from the site. The location, is maybe a bit less good. it is at Ramsey, Harwich. So what I would like to know, is, if we want to go with this location, or if we would rather use one of the sites kindly offered to us, by a number of people on this forum.
I'd also like to know, how many people feel they could attend in beginning-mid-april.
Will Lord is an awesome flintknapper, and I personally cannot wait to be teaching alongside him! it looks, like it might turn out to be a terrific weekend!

many regards to you all, and thanks for your support!

Anthonio

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Where in wales is your site - North or south?
Gary said:
Antonio once my site is sorted you can use that. Its in Wales though.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Anthonio - Now that this has expanded from a get together of people to share some knapping skills to a full blown gathering where you and Will will be teaching is there a cost involved because of the change in nature of the occasion?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for this valid question.

We want to try and keep it a gathering, with lectures, and teaching "sessions" we haven't fully worked it out yet, but you'll get more then a regular gathering out of it, yet slightly less then a full blown one on one, (Or 5 on one) course. I am hoping to find small traders (of material and tools) And I am hoping for an exchange in knowledge by partisipants versus a teachier providing all knowledge. it will therefore be much like the Wilderness gathering (Though on much smaller scale) I would be happy to get about 30+ people together. We want to keep costs minimal (IE our expenses). This means that the more people sign on, once the organisation is clear, the cheaper we can try and make it. At this point in time it is hard to put a cost on the knap-in.
I am also trying to have John Lord attend, which would be even better and more teaching time (Extra instructor)

Hope this (Temporarily) answers your question Tone (And any others)

Many regards!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE