Fids and Marlin Spikes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fids-and-Marlin-Spikes.jpg

While packing kit away after the Wilderness Gathering, including a "new" vintage Marlin Spike, second from the right, it occurred to me that I have a few of these tools now and I think they are greatly underrated by landsmen.

I have lost count of the number of times one of these tools, drawn from my Ditty Bag, has saved someone from having to cut a jammed knot out of a rope or acted as a lever to open the lay of a rope to make a splice.

They have been used as handles or toggles for hauling lines or seizing and binding. They get used as belaying pins occasionally and very often for widening holes in leather or cloth. I've even used one to punch holes through thin metal sheet.

These are the various types that tend to reside in my Ditty Bag but I have many others distributed about various pockets of my kit bags. Very versatile tools that I would recommend to anyone regularly working with cordage.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine gets used most in making baskets these days.
I made a lot of rope fenders at one time (up with the wall, down with the crown !) and I reckoned then that this tool was worth having, keeping and using :)

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There is a limit with most Crafts on the amount of things you can make isn't there?

One of the reasons I got into living history was looking at the hand made world these people were creating for themselves. It seemed like an infinite supply of projects back then but even that is starting to run out now.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE