flint-knapping in England & Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Adi007 said:
Where in wales is your site - North or south?
Gary said:
Antonio once my site is sorted you can use that. Its in Wales though.

Garys new site is in south wales, its on a 3500 acre private esate with 300 acres of woodland, 5 square km of sand dunes (the second largest and highest in europe), 4.5 km of coastline, 6 km of river, an estury and three natural springs :shock:

its where bearclaw bushcraft will be situated

I was just looking at it on the map as i was reading new posts

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Stuart said:
Adi007 said:
Gary said:

Garys new site is in south wales, its on a 3500 acre private esate with 300 acres of woodland, 5 square km of sand dunes (the second largest and highest in europe), 4.5 km of coastline, 6 km of river, an estury and three natural springs :shock:

:shock: :shock: That sounds like the most fantastic place. Do you think I could have a grid reference orname of nearest settlement so I can have a look on a map.
Sounds like the best place for a bushcraft school.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
ditchfield said:
Stuart said:
Adi007 said:
Gary said:

:shock: :shock: That sounds like the most fantastic place. Do you think I could have a grid reference orname of nearest settlement so I can have a look on a map.

Pete
There's a big clue in there from Stuart, check out the superlatives. won't be the first thing to come out of google but you'll find it... Of course it helps for me that I don't live too far away so didn;t need to do any map work.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Justin
aiming for the biggest quoted thread

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Justin Time said:
ditchfield said:
Stuart said:
Adi007 said:
Gary said:

Pete
There's a big clue in there from Stuart, check out the superlatives. won't be the first thing to come out of google but you'll find it... Of course it helps for me that I don't live too far away so didn;t need to do any map work.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Justin
aiming for the biggest quoted thread

I've found it! Well, roughly. I think. :)
I like multimap's function to swap from the map to an aerial photo - v.cool.

Sorry Justin but I just had to make my quote that bit longer :nana:
(Prepares for :f: )

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
you found it then :-D

the closest village is merthyr mawr

on OS map Explorer 151 1:25000 grid referance 87,77 puts you close to the center of the site

its impressive on the map but much more impressive on the ground :-D

Yes, It is going ahead,

Will and I have been working like mad to get everything organised for a flint-knapping event, and now it's ready.
There is a bunch of information to be found on the web-site (http://www.wild-liveschool.com/knap-fest.htm), But let me give you guys a small description here:

It's gonna be over the last weekend of April, Tickets are 35 pounds if staying the whole weekend, and 20 pounds if coming only for a day. The prices seem very low. The reason is that this event is not a course, it is a gathering.
So here's what you get for your money:

:-D You get to meet a lot of fellow knappers
:lol: You will be able to attend courses and lectures provided (So far) by John Lord, Will Lord, and me throughout the weekend.
:wink: The saturday evening meal will be excellent, because we are bringing in a deer, which will be prepared on-site for a nice vennison stew which will be cooked in clay-ovens (Build during the weekend as well)
:shock: There will be people wanting to trade material, and all of you are invited to do so too. You will also find a bunch of people selling knapping kits and finished items such as knives and jewellery
:-o We have organised a food-stand where you can get all your meals and snacks (Because we are only serving the venison stew included in the price)
:twisted: A lot of hard work (IE knapping till your arms fall off!)

I hope that what we organised so far is to your liking! We will be adding events between now and the end of April, so stay tuned!

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!
Hope to see all of you there!

Many regards,

Anthonio Akkermans

Thanks for your question,

This event is aimed at evrybody. What we hope will happen is that the event will become one where everybody shares his/her bit of knowledge. We hope to see people with less experience chatting with more experienced folk and vica versa.
We are expecting to see masters and beginners. What happens a lot at events like this is that more experienced people are sitting knapping away, and people start to gather around these persons, and so they have started their own "demonstration", This is where the event turns into a mini-community, and this is what we are aiming for. The more experienced people helping the less experienced...

Hope this answers your question!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE