flint-knapping in England & Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Guys,

Someone from a flintknapping forum contacted me with an idea to organise a knap-in. This would be a gathering, to swap each others flintknapping material, and learn from each others failures and successes.
It would never be anything like the Wilderness gathering, just a day out in which flintknappers, and people who are interested in flintknapping can get together.
I would just like to know if there is any interest from this direction. The suggestion was to have such a gathering somewhere in central england.

Many regards,

Anthonio

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I might be interested. I have read a little about knapping, but have never managed anything more than abo-type flake blades. About what you get for randomly banging rocks together :-?

Any ideas on where in central England? Is there anywhere that that people can pick up suitable rocks, or would we be bringing our own? :)

Chris

Well,

The idea would be for some people to bring their own if they have suitable material. I will be bringing loads of stone. I will also bring more exotic materials like obsidian etc... I hope there will be some trading in some form. It really depends on the people that come.
Also, The instructors that would be present will bring their own stone too, for teaching/demonstration purposes!

Besides, one of the greatest media to practise on is beer bottle-bottom. I love making arrowheads out of this glass, and with the right colours, a lot of people ask what stone they are made of!! (Sometimes, they don't even believe me when I say It's guinness or Becks, or Gin glass..... Besides,... There is so much rubbish even in the wildest places, that glass is a valid material (Even "natural" in forests where there are a lot of Hunters..)

R

RoJ

Sorry about Hampshire, you guys, only suggested that because most of the would-be knappers I had heard of seemed to be located east or west of there, and, beside, its handy for me in Oxfordshire :) . Since a 'stand-alone' knap-in might be difficult, there are often country fairs around there, so it might be easy to latch-on to one of those and gather more possibles?
Let me or Anthonio know if interested or you know of a fair where this might work, please.
Cheers,
RoJ

starfury

Dec 2, 2003
Wessex
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I'd be up for a Hampshire meet.Theres loads of flint around the edge of farmers fields around here.The best flint i've found comes from Beer in Devon,its worth a trip if you want some decent knapping material.

OK,

It seems there is plenty of interest in a "knap-in". Is there anybody who could help us find a site and organise this site too? The problem being that I am across the water and it's hard for me to go and look at a site etc... Perhaps a day in May would be good,... any suggestions?

Many regards,

Anthonio

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hampshire might not be really central, but I am happier driving in that direction than I was about driving to what I thought "central England" might have been :)

Driving south is almost like driving down hill :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE