Fitted bandannas/'doo rags'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
those fitted bandannas the Americans refer to as doo rags (for some reason!).

Correctly, it's "Do-rag"

It's name comes from the compressed muslin triangular bandage that was part of US Army medical kit, and was called the "Drive On Rag" or "DO Rag".

They were used very much like modern soldiers use a Shemagh - keeping dust / insects off the face, as a washcloth and of course, to shade the head.

ForestNH/VT

Sep 6, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I had always believed the do-rag got its name from the fact that it was worn by bikers etc. to protect the hair-do. Not arguing - just seems a little bit simpler than the more arcane Drive on Rag. Curious as to your source. As for me, I have no source :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I had always assumed that a DO rag was just short for a “dirty old rag”, as an ex-stick welder, I’d wear a rag under my leather hood to stop the sweat from running in to my eyes. Didn’t know it had a name and all that ‘history’

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This is worth knowing; my fathers wifes a Cytologist, she spends a lot of time looking down a microscope, and so wears a bandanna to keep the sweat off the eyepiece.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE