Army overmittens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I need some new overmitts for my skiing. Can somebody tell me how generously sized the MTP shells are?
Also how well do they perform at around the -5C mark when it's raining and sleeting.
I wear a Large to Extra large glove, usually around a 9.5 or 10 and the shell would be to go over these in soggy weather; something our ski fields get a lot of.
I could make my own but the surplus look to be OK and as cheap as sewing stuff myself

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I wear a size 9 glove but have used the British Army surplus outter coupled with the inner down to -28, plenty of room and toasty warm and waterproof.

Reactions: Toddy

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Well the inners are quiet bulky compared to a glove? I would say so, at worse they're not expensive, plenty of grade A on the bay, buy them, if they're to small I'll buy them off you :)

• Haha
Reactions: Moondog55

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Well I'll take a chance and hope for the best.
Happy to sell them to you cheap bopdude but postage back to the UK from Oz won't make that exchange attractive.
I don't understand why the things are camouflaged in Woodland tho, from a purely cold weather perspective white or winter multicam would make more sense. You can't spraypaint Goretex or any other WPB without killing the breathability of the fabric

• Haha
Reactions: bopdude

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have been quite happy with the German winter gloves, they are in fläcktarn but I don't see that as a problem.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I need some new overmitts for my skiing. Can somebody tell me how generously sized the MTP shells are?
Also how well do they perform at around the -5C mark when it's raining and sleeting.
I wear a Large to Extra large glove, usually around a 9.5 or 10 and the shell would be to go over these in soggy weather; something our ski fields get a lot of.
I could make my own but the surplus look to be OK and as cheap as sewing stuff myself
The mitts and inners I was issued are sized correctly. They come with a waterproof outer gauntlet and inner pile lining. I wear a size M and these are M. These are a few years old but would probably still be available on the surplus market. A lot of the MTP kit is the same design just different camo.CBF2E939-C537-45BE-9490-DF1B1F1CD2FD.jpeg

Attachments

• 4CA096F5-5403-4BD8-A558-CDD58508810F.jpeg
    4CA096F5-5403-4BD8-A558-CDD58508810F.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 3
  • D2C14EB7-D295-4788-8C9D-6E87B64F8243.jpeg
    D2C14EB7-D295-4788-8C9D-6E87B64F8243.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 3

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I think my OR HighCamp may be a bit bigger all around than the British issue winter mittens. I'll know in a few weeks when the overmitts arrive.
Naturally they will get idiot loops and all that if needs be

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Well those British over mittens have arrived and I just tried them on over my XL Highcamp trigger finger gloves.
They fit but they wouldn't want to be any smaller. These surplus ones are definitely smaller than the now unavailable OR Mt Baker shell.
Also and it is important when the weather gets really cold is that they are not anatomically cut, but they'll do for me here as they also fit over my fat fingered Kombi ski gloves; also XL in size.
Size-wise they are bigger all around than the OR Latitude mitten shell but smaller than the Mt Baker shell and much much smaller than the OR Firebrand or Altimate mittens.
Good value for money even with the high postage costs but I think something bigger would be needed for an Alaskan or Canadian winter. I'll pull my other deep winter mittens out of the shed and try them on later today

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
For any serving or ex serving members a query.
What is or was the fabric used as camouflage over these mittens?
Here in Oz I've seen several different types over the decades, from US cotton M-56/M-65 cotton and the later NYCO shell to plain and textured nylon to Tyvek, the best of these were reputed to be the Tyvek.
I've seen and used the UL; almost sheer and translucent polyester shells but I can't see that fabric being useful in shell mittens as the fabric is too slippery and wouldn't provide any grip at all

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE