Fishing with spiderwebs!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Going to try the technique w/o the kite using just a palm frond rod.

If you are gonna try this out Ash, use golden web (Nephila) spiderwebs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver

Are those fish really called "long Tom's"? Never heard of that:D.
It reminds me of a book in which the custom of cannibalism in the pacific was discussed (I think it was "the Happy isles of Oceania", by Paul Theroux). Some of the islanders that practiced it used to call the flesh "long pig" as human flesh apparently tasted like pig. He even suggests that there's a correlation between the former cannibalistic practices and the popularity of spam on the same islands...

Cheers,

Tom

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I understand that an old method of catching eels in the fens, was to thread worms onto a piece of 'worsted' (wool) and roll it into a ball. The eels get their teeth entangled in the wool.

Jim

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
According to `The book of the spider` (by Paul Hillyard, a funny book, filled with spider-lore) one E.A.Pratt mentions a second method of fishing with spiderwebs in his book ´Two years among New Guinea cannibals` (1906); a net made by the spider on a loop formed by a bent piece of bamboo. ´In a very short time the spider weaves a web on this most convenient frame`. I´ll see if I can scan the accompanying picture from the book, it looks like a huge scooping net, as tall as the man holding it up.
here you go:

spiderwebfishing.jpg

According to Pratt , fish ´of about one pound in weight´ were caught using these nets.

One E. W. Gudger: has written about these spider web fishing techniques: ´On spider webs and spider web fish nets´ (1918) and ´More about spider webs and spider web fish nets´ (1924). If someone here has access to these articles I would be very interested to read them.

Cheers,

Tom

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you are gonna try this out Ash, use golden web (Nephila) spiderwebs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver

Are those fish really called "long Tom's"? Never heard of that:D.
It reminds me of a book in which the custom of cannibalism in the pacific was discussed (I think it was "the Happy isles of Oceania", by Paul Theroux). Some of the islanders that practiced it used to call the flesh "long pig" as human flesh apparently tasted like pig. He even suggests that there's a correlation between the former cannibalistic practices and the popularity of spam on the same islands...

Cheers,

Tom

They sure are. Very common in Western Australia and around the top end to Queesnsland. Same here in the tropics

They seem to grow bigger in WA or maybe the fishing pressure is greater in Asia.

As for "long pig", according to my classmates who lived in PNG and I believe it is corroborated elsewhere the natives do prefer Melanesian long pig to Caucasian which they say does not taste as nice!

They are probably right since Corks eat processed and flavoured rubbish while they eat organic.

But its seafood for me. Golden orbs are not rare here so I'll "harvest" a web soon. Now got to get myself over to the sea somehow!

http://www.austmus.gov.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/ahians.htm

http://www.oceanfootage.com/stockfootage/Long_Tom_Fish

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
We call needle fish pipers in NZ and they are very good eating. You can catch them with very small hooks but that wouldn't be as fun as with a spider web. I've only ever caught them twice. Once one came out of the water onto the deck of a raft we'd taken on a camping trip. The second time was on a hook about 10 times too large when I was actually fishing for snapper. I think the piper probably got hooked by accident from the outside rather than in any sensible way.

I enjoyed the windfall both times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE