Getting into Fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 5, 2020
Peak District
Apologies if wrong place to post this but I’m interested in learning to fish and want to know the best way to approach this -

Lots of differing info online about where and how to start - wondered if you guys had any advice - no idea with what I’d like to end up doing but Game Fishing seems the most attractive to me at this time -

For context I’m about as beginner as you can be with no knowledge or past experience beyond trips out with my now deceased grandfather - I don’t have kit or knowledge and feel a bit bamboozled when trying to get to grips with it all - thought it best to reach out!

I live in the Peak District where I believe I have access to a wide range of fishing appropriate bodies of water, if geography matters in this discussion!

On a side note, anyone in the peaks/Derbyshire/South Yorkshire area that wants a useless fishing buddy post covid, let me know...

Any help much appreciated

F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I have been fishing most of my life as my dad is a keen course fisherman, course fishing didn't really interest me much as you couldn't keep the catch. When I was able to drive I bought some cheap sea fishing gear and done a bit of that but I always wanted to learn to fly fish. My grandfather was into fly fishing but gave up before I was old enough (in his eyes) to take me along. He did give me a few casting lessons on his lawn when I was very young though.

Skipping forward many years I started a new job and found that one of the chaps there regularly went fly fishing. As I didn't have any gear he offered to lend me what I needed. We hired a boat at Chew valley reservoir which was his regular spot and had a great days fishing. We went many times after that and each time I would buy a few bits of tackle in the shop at the reservoir. He ended up upgrading his rods and offered me his for a song.

What surprised me the most about fly fishing was how technical it was, not the the fishing side but also rod/line selection, choice of fly etc etc. And not only that the tackle changes so much for the type of place your fishing.

I would highly recommend finding someone who is willing to take you out and show you the ropes. I think I was quite lucky as the chap who took me didn't have anyone else to go with so every time he went he had to pay the full price for the boat rather then splitting it with someone. You might find someone who offers lessons in your area too.

I say go to your local fishing spots and talk to people, see what tackle they're using and I'm sure you will receive some good advice.

Another thing I say is don't be too put off when you get tangles, when your learning it'll happen ALOT. I still have bad days where it seems I find I'm spending more time sitting in the boat sorting my line than actually fishing. More often than not now I just cut the fly's off the line and re-rig if it looks line my fly's will be out of the water more than 5 minutes.

Keep us posted with how you get on

Cheers
Ben

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Which species of fish will be your main target? Expect variation with the geography.
Fish do have different behaviors so presenting them with an attractive lure does differ.

I suggest that the best start will be a lot of reading. Books are better than monthly magazines.
Start writing requests for free catalogs of all fishing aspects. The Mustad hook catalog is amazing.
This planet gushes with fishing literature of all ages.
That way, you learn what questions to ask when you do meet up with fisher folks.
= = = =
There's an annual flytying insect look-alike competition held in Las Vegas in the States.
One competitor from Britain was stopped and had all his entries confiscated
as Customs was not convinced that they were, in fact, not real insects. They were that good.

Oct 5, 2020
Peak District
I have been fishing most of my life as my dad is a keen course fisherman, course fishing didn't really interest me much as you couldn't keep the catch. When I was able to drive I bought some cheap sea fishing gear and done a bit of that but I always wanted to learn to fly fish. My grandfather was into fly fishing but gave up before I was old enough (in his eyes) to take me along. He did give me a few casting lessons on his lawn when I was very young though.

Skipping forward many years I started a new job and found that one of the chaps there regularly went fly fishing. As I didn't have any gear he offered to lend me what I needed. We hired a boat at Chew valley reservoir which was his regular spot and had a great days fishing. We went many times after that and each time I would buy a few bits of tackle in the shop at the reservoir. He ended up upgrading his rods and offered me his for a song.

What surprised me the most about fly fishing was how technical it was, not the the fishing side but also rod/line selection, choice of fly etc etc. And not only that the tackle changes so much for the type of place your fishing.

I would highly recommend finding someone who is willing to take you out and show you the ropes. I think I was quite lucky as the chap who took me didn't have anyone else to go with so every time he went he had to pay the full price for the boat rather then splitting it with someone. You might find someone who offers lessons in your area too.

I say go to your local fishing spots and talk to people, see what tackle they're using and I'm sure you will receive some good advice.

Another thing I say is don't be too put off when you get tangles, when your learning it'll happen ALOT. I still have bad days where it seems I find I'm spending more time sitting in the boat sorting my line than actually fishing. More often than not now I just cut the fly's off the line and re-rig if it looks line my fly's will be out of the water more than 5 minutes.

Keep us posted with how you get on

Cheers
Ben

Thanks so much Ben - I really appreciate this and it sounds like you had fantastic luck finding that bloke, seems a great time was had by all!

I really missed an opportunity as my old neighbour when I was 13-16 was an avid fisherman and offered numerous times to take me, but all I cared about was messing around with mates and camping so never said yes - really keen to find someone that can show me the ropes

Will keep you updated of course

Cheers!

F

Oct 5, 2020
Peak District
Which species of fish will be your main target? Expect variation with the geography.
Fish do have different behaviors so presenting them with an attractive lure does differ.

I suggest that the best start will be a lot of reading. Books are better than monthly magazines.
Start writing requests for free catalogs of all fishing aspects. The Mustad hook catalog is amazing.
This planet gushes with fishing literature of all ages.
That way, you learn what questions to ask when you do meet up with fisher folks.
= = = =
There's an annual flytying insect look-alike competition held in Las Vegas in the States.
One competitor from Britain was stopped and had all his entries confiscated
as Customs was not convinced that they were, in fact, not real insects. They were that good.

Thanks for this - will definitely be looking out for the appropriate literature, and hopefully not having any run ins with the law...

Reactions: Robson Valley

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lots of places in the Peak District offering fly fishing courses, you can only learn so much from a book, first hand experience is the best teacher, btw, im a Fishery Manager (Coarse Fishing) but also fly fish now and again on flowing and still waters.

One that i found, not affiliated to, just came up on Google.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Fly fishing itself ... you know, the technique, casting etc is very easy and you'll pick it up in moments. The rest is a complex life's interest with as much air and abstraction as there is concrete fact. You'll love it.

Msybe pick up a half decent 4 or 5 weight rod and a cheap reel, but a decent WF line. Watch some vids on casting and go to a stretch of water, or the park or backgarden and give it a go. Then see if you can't find a local club. You will become quickly addicted and spend all your time and money.

Oct 5, 2020
Peak District
Lots of places in the Peak District offering fly fishing courses, you can only learn so much from a book, first hand experience is the best teacher, btw, im a Fishery Manager (Coarse Fishing) but also fly fish now and again on flowing and still waters.

One that i found, not affiliated to, just came up on Google.

Fantastic - will give it a read and hopefully head over post covid/whenever allowed!

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Fly fishing is addictive. It's the woodland deer stalking of the fishing world.

I gave up some years ago, I just got too into it! I know that sounds mad but I would spend my student grant in the Orvis shop and tie flies for hours on dark winter evenings in my student digs (when I should have been studying).

For trout rivers (the best kind of fly fishing!)
I found a 9' #4 to be ideal. I actually used a DT line (not a WF. I don't actually think it matters much on a river)

Filling mill is your place for flies. Go for the skinny, rough, drab unassuming patterns. F flies, hares ear, CDC and elk, grey duster, Adam's will all work. Don't be scared of small flies. That's usually what they are taking!

Fish and walk upstream, deffo get waders and concentrate your dry fly fishing LATE into the evening. You'll have a blast, enjoy it.

Oct 5, 2020
Peak District
Fly fishing is addictive. It's the woodland deer stalking of the fishing world.

I gave up some years ago, I just got too into it! I know that sounds mad but I would spend my student grant in the Orvis shop and tie flies for hours on dark winter evenings in my student digs (when I should have been studying).

For trout rivers (the best kind of fly fishing!)
I found a 9' #4 to be ideal. I actually used a DT line (not a WF. I don't actually think it matters much on a river)

Filling mill is your place for flies. Go for the skinny, rough, drab unassuming patterns. F flies, hares ear, CDC and elk, grey duster, Adam's will all work. Don't be scared of small flies. That's usually what they are taking!

Fish and walk upstream, deffo get waders and concentrate your dry fly fishing LATE into the evening. You'll have a blast, enjoy it.

This is its appeal to me - a bit of quiet contemplation and a ridiculously addictive hobby - thems my favourite!

Thanks for the advice - really appreciate it!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
You'll love it then. Just wait until you get into tying!

Don't get too wrapped up in the gear either, just know the lower the number the lighter the line, and arguably the more enjoyable casting can be, with the sacrifice of distance and performance when it comes to wind and larger flies.

There's a whole bunch of insane yanks that devote there time to fishing with ultra light gear, fishing for brookies with #1 6 foot bamboo rods in tiny streams in places like New England (looks bloody good fun)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mountain rivers are normally very windy, one way in the morning, the other way in the afternoon.
Whatever the tackle for whatever the conditions, you need enough "muscle" to cope.

Spin-casting with an open-face reel (eg Garcia 300), 6lb mono and a light 6' rod is easier to pack and carry and
much faster to get you out on the water than any flyfishing gear.

You will always hook you biggest fish just after you light a smoke or pour a cup of tea.

All of my rods are 9' fence posts with big reels and lots of line for Tyee salmon and whatever else.
Don't hesitate to let it be known that you are in want of tackle. Nobody knows unless you say.
Estate sales can be gold mines.
Build a rod. It is not magic at all, worth 3X to 4X the price of the parts. Then repair rods.
= = = =
Above all, remember this:
There's a Zen thing which explains that we each have a finite life span, that our days are numbered.
Each day spent fishing or hunting (and camping, I suspect) is not counted. It's a free-bee.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Spin-casting with an open-face reel (eg Garcia 300), 6lb mono and a light 6' rod is easier to pack and carry and much faster to get you out on the water than any flyfishing gear.

Pre-rigged there is no difference in time setting up for fly or spin. Though it is true that you can score a new dock rod/reel spin combo for very little.

One thing you might like to add to your list of things to get is a rod bag like this: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plano-fishing-rod-case-54-in-0785928p.html

They come in lots of sizes

Oh, and don't look at the Thomas Turner site :)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use a cheap, hard plastic rod tube. Adjustable length to 58" so it fits all of my 2 piece 9' rods (reels in a vest.)
Fly reels and spools are all Hardy Marquis. Levels are Ambassadeur with star drags, disk brakes and spool clutches.
That's after decades of gradually moving up and building my own rods.

Lie on the dock on a sunny day and peer over the shady side into clear water.
Single barbless #12 on 10' of 6 lb mono and a little scrap of bait.
Those 6" perch are so eager to grab the bait, I can spend an hour playing with them.
I still hope for the day to teach my grandsons to fish like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE