Canoe fishing advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a simple and effective way to catch fish whilst canoeing... I'm not planning on stopping to fish, I'm just thinking of simply tying a line onto the back of the canoe as I paddle. I know nothing about fishing apart from the fact that they're tasty and I'd might as well catch them if I can. I'm canoeing in the sea/bays on the south coast. I'm interested in spinners, lures, jellies, what sort of line to get and also how to rig up a line. Hope that all makes sense.
Thanks in advance,

Will

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Tinsel or feathers, tinsel seems to get more fish. Just drag it out of the back and you’ll have some fish, a Bass if you’re lucky. Check the line often.

Not to tell you what to do, but I used to fish on tinsels when out to get the lobster pots off Bognor and came back with bucket loads. Luckily friends and family love them so all none were wasted, but if you hit a shoal, you’ll have a full line over and over, might be more than you need.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Get a short rod and reel. The rod will keep the line away from the canoe, you can play the fish if of a decent size and keeps the line tidely tucked away when you do not fish.

Lure- depends on what you want to catch, I would go for several smaller, light, shiny lures.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Get a short rod and reel. The rod will keep the line away from the canoe, you can play the fish if of a decent size and keeps the line tidely tucked away when you do not fish.

Lure- depends on what you want to catch, I would go for several smaller, light, shiny lures.

“I'm just thinking of simply tying a line onto the back of the canoe as I paddle.” The guy wants to canoe, not go fishing.

We used to put out a line out to go to the pots, and a line back in. It wasn’t fishing, it was an opportunity to grab breakfast cooked on a paraffin stove in a fisherman’s hut on a beach in Bognor. I have fond memories of this sort of fishing, we even used to cycle our bikes there the night before and use the tiny bunks in the hut so we could get out early and bait the pots with mackerel scraps while gathering lovely crabs and lobsters. A single lure will almost certainly catch your tea, a tinsel or feather line will feed you and others. Bit of a weight on it and it’ll be in Bass country.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
For sure, but if he gets a decently sized fish it will be difficult to get in, he can not ‘play’ it.
He also writes he has never fished and want advice, which I have given to the best of my experience.
Lure/lures need to be maybe 10-15 meters behind the canoe ( that is what I used to have) and it is practical to be able to hide and store that line on a reel.

Last edited:

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Not sure how much gadgetry one would want, but the outfitter stores have clamp-or-bolt-on rod holders. I prefer the rod on the midships thwart so I can keep an eye on it and the line is outboard far enough not to interfere with my paddle. Thread doesn't indicate the water: sea, large lake, large river, small lake, small river. All have different best rigs. A trolling diver gadget might be indicated if one is on big water.

Upthread posters: please describe "tinsel" as it relates to lures.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need a rod and reel. Hand-lining fish from a canoe is a recipe for a struggle. Don't do that. Please.
I had the luxury of being a professional (got paid, whether I caught fish or not).
I was a trawler man. There were many days when I wished for the silence of a single line.

You need a rod and a reel. Does not have to be anything special, big or fancy.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Family holidays in Cornwall as a kid we used to have a day trip to Looe, hire a boat (like these https://twitter.com/boatbuilder9/status/568893160572788737)
and then pootle around the bay with handlines and feathers trailing behind, hauling in the mackerel.

What's an outfitter store? Don't think I've ever seen one

Do you think I could do this off my SUP? Holidaying in Brittany last year, drifting about I did wonder if I could expect to catch anything by throwing a line off. A bit further west this year but still at the coast with some boards so would be interested in what kit could make it work, if you think it's plausible.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Thank you all for your replies - that's really helpful.
Can I ask those who mentioned it, do you literally mean tinsel as in Christmas decoration tinsel?
Also, should I weight the line to get it away from the surface?
Sorry for the ignorance of these questions - completely new to this, but really keen to learn.
Water wise, I'm currently paddling in fairly shallow water around Holes Bay and Poole Quay. Hoping to get out a bit deeper as I gain experience. Yesterday was also my first day canoeing - today will be my second!! It's amazing! I was a keen kayaker as a teenager, but canoeing feels completely different. I'm starting slow, but hope to hit the open sea by the end of the summer if my skill and confidence has built up sufficiently...

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Now why did you have to go and do that? ;) Now I'm in danger of finding a new hobby and getting in a hell of a lot of trouble!

Sorry I live about as far from the coast as is possible in England, miss the smell of sea air, dead jealous of you, so I might as well make you suffer :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: Ascobis

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hand line is simple, use a Cuban reel or similar, my trick was to attach the line to your paddle near the blade, when you go through the water it jigs the line and you know when you get a fish on the line. I preferred a simple spinner on its own, easier to manage with mackerel and sea bass.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Will, how far from shore do you plan to paddle?
I'm not too sure. I guess I was imagining no more than 300 yards but I'll probably try and meet up with more experienced canoe/kayak folk when I'm a bit more confident and follow their lead. That's probably still 6 months away yet. I'm not terribly comfortable knowing that I can't simply roll a canoe back up if I capsize to be honest!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE