First ever attemp at Sloe Gin...should be ready by NewYear...Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi,

I'm about to do my first batch too and found a question that google couldn't answer;

When ageing (for years) is it best to:

1) strain after 3 to 6 months and then leave to age for years in a bottle (heard the fruit goes funky after 6 months);
2) don't strain it and just leave it for years with the berries in it;
3) something else?

would be interested to hear of peoples results using all the options!

Stu

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi,

I'm about to do my first batch too and found a question that google couldn't answer;

When ageing (for years) is it best to:

1) strain after 3 to 6 months and then leave to age for years in a bottle (heard the fruit goes funky after 6 months);
2) don't strain it and just leave it for years with the berries in it;
3) something else?

would be interested to hear of peoples results using all the options!

Stu

Good question...well presented! ;)
I'd like the answer to this one too..
Quick update..all the sugar in my 3 lots has dissolved now so I guess its just a case of leaving it to blend for the next 3 months...giving it a gentle shake every now and then..
Get a move on you Winter Gods...I want December here now so I can took into my Sloe Gin...:lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've done option 1 for about thirty years, no problems.

I think people over think it - I have some in jars that tastes great after a month - could strain now and drink to be honest. It improves a little with keeping, but really - don't sweat the small stuff - it'll be fine - quality of fruit and type of sweetening agent change the taste far more than six months in the bottle.

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
almost forgot about my gin until I was reminded by someone else on another forum. Has it really only been less than two weeks?

I couldn't get a hold of sloes so I did 3 bottles: 1 blueberries, 1 raspberries and 1 strawberries.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Wow you guys have commendable patience. I don't drink now but when I did I woulda been opening the bottle coming out the shop. :lmao:
Some folk can wait months for a drink? My genes must be rotten. :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I like the thought of anything Calvados related :)
Its one good thing that comes out of France-that and pieds et pouces....Actually sloe calvados is not a very fine taste-its exquisite. I'm not a foodie buff obsessive by any means , but even I could appreciate its superb mellow richness
I know you like your whiskies Red, so it probably sounds like sacrilidge:bandit:, but I prefer Calva to Whisky (although I did enjoy somw whisky and water over Christmas..:))

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sacrilege at all. Half my team used to be in France and I went there regularly. I developed a real taste for Calvados - used to bring it back with me. Its a silly price in this country :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE