Sloe gin - can't wait!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I make...a lot...of booze

Wine rack by British Red, on Flickr

Wine store by British Red, on Flickr

wine bottles by British Red, on Flickr

Over the years I've discovered a few things about fruit tinctures (which is what sloe gin is).

1) Booze quality does make a difference. Cheap nasty spirits will not improve the flavour. That is not to say buy £50 a bottle Genever instead of gin, but buy decent stuff. If you wouldn't drink it neat, don't use it. Keep an eye out and buy your spirits when there is an offer on - I guarantee you can get, for example, Gordons gin, on offer at some point in a year. Buy it then and keep it until fruit tincture time.

2) Leaving fruit until later does help because they ripen! Unripe blackberries aren't nice and nor are unripe sloes, damsons or bullaces.

3) Cheap white sugar tastes like chemicals. A quality demerara, muscovado or decent honey will have a gentler more subtle taste

4) Adding sweetening agents after the infusion (I dissolve the sugar in water first as a strong simple syrup). This allows you to add a little at a time until perfect

5)Fruits do vary by year and tree

6) Be creative.

Home made Stags breath with entire honeycomb was incredible

Stags Breath Whisk Liquer by British Red, on Flickr

.....as was Cranachan Speyside malt

Cranachan Raspberry Whisky by British Red, on Flickr
British red, I don't quite know where to begin... That is truly amazing and the advice is priceless and much appreciated thanks mate! Let's face it, you can't be worried about any type of competition from others! LOL!

I assume you and yours always have a very merry Christmas.... And Easter... And Halloween.... And birthdays...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A lot gets given away to be honest Ferret, we aren't big drinkers any more, but we find the world full of kind and helpful people. A bottle of something home made always seems nicer than a bought gift by way of a "thank you" :)

Oct 5, 2008
home counties
7870b764bf6c4d643efe78a5b7e9a94e.jpg

Second harvest ... keep (ahem) checking the first to see how it's doing ... tastes great after 4 weeks already ;op

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE