Sloe gin - can't wait!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've been meaning to do stuff like this for ages, being especially inspired by the potions shared around at the Naughty Corner at Bushmoot - though obviously not Mr Budd's!

A very pleasant morning's foraging with Colin as part of the Suffolk group's recent Boone Challenge yielded a load of sloes amongst other things. I stuck them in the freezer for a bit. This is all that's left:

Sloe%20gin%202015-10-08%20002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A couple of bottles of cheapish gin from Lidl (about a tenner for 50cl iirc)

Sloe%20gin%202015-10-08%20003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Half fill a jar and a bottle from Ikea with berries, stick in some caster sugar (I put 2 large tablespoons in the jar and a 'looks about right' amount in the bottle, then topped up with the gin. Shake to dissolve the sugar, then leave on the side until Christmas. I've been giving them a shake every day, and watching the colour get deeper and deeper. These two were done a couple of days apart:

Sloe%20gin%202015-10-08%20004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've no idea if it'll taste nice or not, but I can't imagine I've gone too far wrong. Just got to wait now....

Sloe%20gin%202015-10-08%20005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Looks good. When I make it, I generally use less sugar than the recipes say. I can always add more before bottling if needed.

I'm glad you reminded me though as I had totally forgotten a litre or so I started last year that I found at the back of the cupboard! Amazing colour. Must strain it tomorrow and see if it's ready for the sink or nectar of the gods!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Don't you turn the bottle upside down once a week? I thought I remember a guy I used to shoot with doing that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Don't you turn the bottle upside down once a week? I thought I remember a guy I used to shoot with doing that.

Yeah I know you have to move it around regularly. I'm thinking that I'll shake it every day for a week or something, then maybe go to every few days / when I remember.

I've not done anything like this before, so happy to take advice!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I give mine a good shake every morning until all the sugar is disolved and then every time I remember :)
Started 2 bottles worth today ...

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Question for sloe gin connoisseurs this one, as I'm kind of teetotal. I have picked sloes for my cousin and his girlfriend for quite a few years and they use the same methods and materials each time to make sloe-gin for xmas. Either they or I rinse and freeze them as part of the storage and prep. However, they report some very different results in taste. Assuming that some sloes might be more acidic than others by seasonal weather and location etc is this enough to make big differences?

From descriptions such as 'gorgeous' to 'like *******g cough syrup'!!

For those who experiment with such things, does the gin you add also make a significant difference?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've done this for a few years now, using the cheapest gin/vodka I can find. I think it is the amount of sugar that makes the taste.
Morrisons vodka and gin 70cl £10.45. 3lts sloe gin, and 2lts raspberry vodka started this morning.

Sloe drinks 001.jpg

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Thanks for that my friend, I'll pass this info along! It seemed to make practical sense them using the cheaper stuff, otherwise what would be the point of buying an expensive gin for the process, you could just simply buy an expensive sloe gin straight off the shelf in the first place.

There's alot of different approaches out there, some which say to add most of the sugar a week or so near to drinking, to get the level of sweetness you like; others say to put everything in at the very beginning. There also seems to be an 'old school' consensus that you should only harvest the sloes after the first frost has fallen on them... Don't know what wisdom you or others can add to this?

Of course I believe the oldest wisdom probably still holds true... after you've drunk enough of it you don't much care!!!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for that my friend, I'll pass this info along! It seemed to make practical sense them using the cheaper stuff, otherwise what would be the point of buying an expensive gin for the process, you could just simply buy an expensive sloe gin straight off the shelf in the first place.

There's alot of different approaches out there, some which say to add most of the sugar a week or so near to drinking, to get the level of sweetness you like; others say to put everything in at the very beginning. There also seems to be an 'old school' consensus that you should only harvest the sloes after the first frost has fallen on them... Don't know what wisdom you or others can add to this?

Of course I believe the oldest wisdom probably still holds true... after you've drunk enough of it you don't much care!!!

Nicely put, I tend to put the sugar in at the beginning and hope for the best, works for me. The idea of waiting for the first frost, was back when we didn't have freezers, and you would have to ***** each sloe before using it.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Yeah, that's why I started freezing them, so I could store them longer and also as they burst open because the water expands, but then with the taste changing so much thought deep freezing might be too harsh and ruining some of them. Hey, your methods seem to work fine for you guys, which is plenty good enough for me, I will let them know about your experiences, thank you all very much. Enjoy the fruits of your labour, or possibly ermm...'Labour of your fruits'!?!

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I could check it out for you before you give it away (just in case it has not improved satisfactorily), no charge either :)
Lmao!! Thanks rorymax!! That's what I love about this Bushcraft stuff, the sense of community, commitment to purpose and self sacrifice!!! LOL. We could join forces, you could be the taster for the very first BushcraftUK sloe gin / new sustainable biofuel!!!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No thank you.

As a matter of fact I am so short of gin this year some of it will be made into sloe cider.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
No thank you.

As a matter of fact I am so short of gin this year some of it will be made into sloe cider.

I know that it is big of me, (no acknowledgements or praise please) I extend my earlier offer to cider base products.

rorymax

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I make...a lot...of booze

Wine rack by British Red, on Flickr

Wine store by British Red, on Flickr

wine bottles by British Red, on Flickr

Over the years I've discovered a few things about fruit tinctures (which is what sloe gin is).

1) Booze quality does make a difference. Cheap nasty spirits will not improve the flavour. That is not to say buy £50 a bottle Genever instead of gin, but buy decent stuff. If you wouldn't drink it neat, don't use it. Keep an eye out and buy your spirits when there is an offer on - I guarantee you can get, for example, Gordons gin, on offer at some point in a year. Buy it then and keep it until fruit tincture time.

2) Leaving fruit until later does help because they ripen! Unripe blackberries aren't nice and nor are unripe sloes, damsons or bullaces.

3) Cheap white sugar tastes like chemicals. A quality demerara, muscovado or decent honey will have a gentler more subtle taste

4) Adding sweetening agents after the infusion (I dissolve the sugar in water first as a strong simple syrup). This allows you to add a little at a time until perfect

5)Fruits do vary by year and tree

6) Be creative.

Home made Stags breath with entire honeycomb was incredible

Stags Breath Whisk Liquer by British Red, on Flickr

.....as was Cranachan Speyside malt

Cranachan Raspberry Whisky by British Red, on Flickr

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Lmao!! Thanks rorymax!! That's what I love about this Bushcraft stuff, the sense of community, commitment to purpose and self sacrifice!!! LOL. We could join forces, you could be the taster for the very first BushcraftUK sloe gin / new sustainable biofuel!!!

I look at it is akin to being the first to go to Mars, no coming back, and an eternal commitment to the benefit of mankind.

I would gladly accept ( dirty, filthy, unpleasant) the post you proffer\propose Ferret75.

I only ask that 2 or more bottles of each submission are supplied for tasting ( scientific evaluation and cross sampling to prove\disprove effiicacy and quality).

I have big shoulders when it comes to helping out all of my good friends on BCUK.

Gimme the stuff NOW.

rorymax

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE