Firefly - the TV series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've just finished watching the series and really enjoyed it and then I found out they jsut did the first series and binned it which i thought was a real shame.

Anyone else watched the series? What did you think of it?

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
If you enjoyed the series Tony then watch the Movie "Serenity" , its fantastic and is like a big budget version of the series taken one step further !

Personally I thought the series was fantastic , the setting was believable and the stories cool , the charavters are really good and easy to get into as well (I was called "Jayne" by my mates after they watched the series :) )

Big thumbs up from our household !

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Yup liked it a lot too, seems like there was loads of scope for a huge amount of development of characters and plot and it left you with loads of unanswered questions but the networks canned it apparently as it wasn't mainstream enough.... :confused: Has a huge (and disturbingly fanatical) fanbase

Cheers,

Alan

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
They didn't even finish the first season - I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a full US-style 22-episode season, and we only got 15 or so... Serenity is worth watching just to get some of the questions answered, but I didn't find it nearly as good, and there's some pretty dodgy retconning involved. Still, it does have River Tam. :D

I did like the overall feel of it, even if the whole "Western Frontier in Space" thing didn't really work for me that well. Great characters though, which is what really counts - and some absolutely brilliant lines.

Not a patch on Farscape though... ;)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
The larpers at the middlewood meet last year were all some kind of serenity/firefly LARP
They looked freezing!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It's brilliant! :D I saw a bit of Serenity at a BB get together and thought it looked good, then I heard of the series. Shame they didn't get to finish it :(

I borrowed the dvd box set from a friend a few years ago and watched the whole lot in the space of about a week. The only trouble with that was that I started to use phrases such as 'shiny' and 'goram' in everyday speech, which confused the heck out of the farmers that I was lodging with at the time :lol:

keep meaning to buy the set as its one of those series that you can watch over and over, just dip into for the odd episode when bored. I've got Serenity and it gets watched regularly, but that's partly because i don't have much of a collection

I'm a leaf on the wind

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Well you see people died and got hurt in Farscape and Firefly whereas in Star Trek the nauseous generation, people fought and then resolved their differences through communication and mutual understanding and respect.:rolleyes:

I loved Farscape and Firefly :)

You have to love the Klingons though anyone who goes into space battle with a big scary knife and pointy boots has to be a bit cool :lmao:

A fantastic series written by Joss Wheedon of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame.

Unfortunately 20th century fox pulled the plug half way through the first series, so not even the first series was completed.

Then Joss was given the go ahead to make Serenity the film, basically because fans had given 20th century pox such a drumming.

Unfortunately the film crammed what was going to be an ongoing story into a couple of hours and didn't really do it justice.

Many questions were left unanswered like where did Book the preacher come from and what secrets were hidden in his past? I guess we will never know.

I've also been following Defying Gravity on television at the moment... BBC2 on Saturday night at 11:10 this week (they keep moving it's time slot). This again was promising to be a good series but the financing company have again pulled the plug and only the first series will be made.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, i've watched Serenity a few times over the last few years, great film and i suppose watching that first was good, in some ways. It's one of those films i put on when i want to veg and relax.

I do hope they do another series, i've heard they've talked about it a bit but it gets harder and harder to do as they all have other work. And you can't trust the fan sites as they're jumping on any titbit and turning it into a full scale comeback.

I also enjoyed studio 60 and they pulled the plug on that at the end of the first series...all about money, that's all that counts...

More please :D Firefly that is :D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Loved this series, or what they did of it. I thought the acting and scripting were spot on, with some truly funny moments.." this is what going mad feels like" from Jaynes Town. You get the impression that they all just worked well together. I think the film was 4 or 5 years after the series was binned? There are many reasons as to why it got binned, they messed up the scheduling getting eps out in different orders etc plus the Men In Suits, didn't get it, they thought it would be better to have it a 'cop' program, chasing bad guys, instead of the reverse.

I can't see another series being made now, too much time has passed and the film nailed the lid on it really. It tied up a lot of loose ends that the series would have used. Oh well, you never know.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Fantastic series :D! Far too intelligent for the TV execs though, who seem to think that us dumb old public can't cope with anything that is remotely well written.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Add me to the list of people who loved Firefly (and Serenity). Very fresh and utterly captivating -- wonderful characters and writing.

Firefly and the remake of Battlestar Galactica, which is just extraordinary, show that there's a lot of life left in sci-fi on the small screen.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Was a very witty well written series, with nice dark undertones.
Enjoyed the series immensely and the follow up, serenity.
In the film, the primary baddy 'The Operative' was one of the coolest villains to hit the screen IMHO.

Both series and film helped me get over my Stargate SG-1 withdrawal.....well some of it :(
Atlantis was binned and Universe is but a pale imitation......

TV does need a funny and well written Sci-Fi series, a 2nd series of Firefly would really fill a void.

FYI - Morena Baccarin who played Inara the 'Companion' is now starring in a remake of the Sci-Fi series 'V' sporting a pixie haircut :eek:
.......yep you read it here folks :)

Tom

Atesca

Jan 22, 2009
Waltham Abbey
Joss Whedon went on to make Dollhouse, which has just gone into its second series, aaaand... been cancelled, 2 weeks after I watched the whole first series, wouldn't you just know it.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I enjoyed all the series and film.

To be honest I have a feeling that it was better for being dropped, as with all TV series, not to have everything wrung from the story makes it all the better.

Look our for a very young Adam Baldwin (Jayne) in 'Full Metal Jacket' playing Animal Mother also Nathan Fillion with a little part in 'Saving Private Ryan.'

I digress....Sorry!

Swyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE