Fire blowing tube

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
If I may I'd like to pick your collective brains. OK I could do a bit of trial and error but I thought I'd do it this way.

Off my local Surplus stall I've picked up a couple of boxes of Tubing, rubber 1/8 inch internal diameter, x 1/32 wall thickness x 50 feet.

Is this wide enough to make a effeciant blow tube for fires?

What lenght is "best", I was thinking a arms lenght.

How long a brass end piece at the working end do you recomend?

What sort of mouth piece do folk use?

If the tube is suitable would anyone like a couple of feet or yard to make their own? They cost me 50p a box so a SAE would be all I needed.

If anyones interest drop me a e.

ATB

Tom

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Not quite sure what you mean exactly, if you are talking about a blow poker then you would want a length of metal tubing about 1/4" in diameter and 2 - 2.5 feet long, with a bit of tape round the mouth end so you don't cut your mouth when using it. Afraid I have no idea how you would use rubber hose for this, except as a short length for a flexible mouthpiece maybe? Possible better use for that tubing would be as shock cord or bungee for a tarp.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I've got a piece of brass tubing about six inches long and then about 2 feet of plastic tubing pushed over one end. Hodl the brass tube in the fire and blow down the plastic tube. Much more comfortable to use than an all metal low poker and much less likely to suck instead of blow !.....

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
I saw a guy, on a one day forging course, use the lanyard hole of his knife to great effect. Just put it to his lips and blew through it, it did make a massive difference in concentrating and directing his breath.

A neat little trick I'll be using in future.

Oh, it was 'Jasons' who's on this forum BTW so kudos to him.

Kim

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
2ft sounds about right (the further I keep my face fur and glasses from the fire the happier I am ) . I've seen telescoping jobs for sale in the US but fancy something that will pack up really small, ideally inside my tinder box.

I had a trawl on the net but couldn't find a pic but they seam to be used by some scouts.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/scoutnotebook/fires/advanced.html

It's just occured to me that if 1/8th" isn't wide enough then I could make a brass end to fit the tube on my platypus water bag thingy , I think I may have a manky / old / spare one to try with.

Thanks folks!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, 5 mins faffing answered my own questions, I knocked up the blower below

Blower1.jpg

from some brass tubing from my aeromodling supplies, the working end is 3.5 inchs long x 1/8th" and the mouth piece a inch of 1/4" tubing.

And the tube isn't wide enough to work properly. :-{C )

From blowing down various dia of tube 1/4" worked best, there was no percieved benefit from wider.

Anyway, does anyone have a couple of feet of 1/4" surgical rubber to spare? I want it to be a light as possible so I may substitute Ally' tubing for the mouth piece.

ATB

Tom

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
i made something similar but i used an old telescopic car ariel and the rubber tube. folds down nice and compact but also mean you dont have to put your hand too near the fire to direct your blow pipe .

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
As it happens the engine on the wifes Mondeo died a death 2 days ago and its now only fit for the breakers. If I get the chance I'll have it away with the ariel! Either that or one of the kids remote controls (for their toy planes not them, thats a future project ;-{D) will have a accident...

ATB

Tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya, good thread, I use an old spare DAX aluminium tent pole section... It can also be pressed into use along with the spare tent one ( same length / diameter) to fix a busted tent pole... when the tent is there too. Like my kit to do two jobs. Goatboy.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've been told that fishermen use rubber tube for something (what?) and on ebay tackle stores do sell various sizes in 50 foot lenghts so I will pop into my local shops and see if I can get a yard or two, rather than a whole pack that will never get used.

I've seen folk using rubber tube to syphon water from in accesable places, as a sling but what other uses could I get out of it? Would it be suitable to make a sling shot?

ATB

Tom

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
I use a foot of brass tubing with a leather strip rolled around the upper 10 cm to hold and put to my mouth.

:thinkerg: About cheap telescopic ones: couldn't you use a sterea antenna, bit then just the 3 thickes parts, pull the thinner ones out.......?

Edit: Whoops, dr jones uttered that already.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Iron mongers shops or pet shops sometimes stock plastic tubing for use with goldfish tanks, that's what |I use with a bit off an old broken matal arrow at the end which goes into the flames or at least the fire end. I found that the best length of the plastic tube was about two feet, so that you do not need to get your face too near the fire or crouch down too far. Being able to coil it up is good for carrying. But I think my invension was fround upon. by some of the bushcrafters who prefer to use a hollow elder stem (more natural)
but not always to hand when you need it, to my way of thinking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE