Bushcraft fire bellow/tube

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I saw this on YouTube and thought I would recreate it take a piece of elder a piece of wire or greenstick, hollow the centre out to get rid of all the pith one fire tube/bellow

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpeg
    IMG_0218.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0219.jpeg
    IMG_0219.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 13

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
How's it going, is that all the way through? If it is, have you used it yet?
Hey Tony, yes, it was all the way through, and yes it works. To be honest, not as well obviously as the metal ones but as it turned out the piece of wood I selected was slightly tapered as well to make it more effective. I will put some more photos up. Once I find it again lol I seem to have misplaced it. I guess if you forgot your bellows like I did on that trip if a good substitute

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
Hey Tony, yes, it was all the way through, and yes it works. To be honest, not as well obviously as the metal ones but as it turned out the piece of wood I selected was slightly tapered as well to make it more effective. I will put some more photos up. Once I find it again lol I seem to have misplaced it.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Hi just wondering would most reeds not be a good use for this to and or may be a length of bamboo between knots , i have had some longish piece to , funny the things we have in our hands and never think of the other use for them .

Reactions: John Elstob

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
Hi just wondering would most reeds not be a good use for this to and or may be a length of bamboo between knots , i have had some longish piece to , funny the things we have in our hands and never think of the other use for them .
Yeah I guess they would be ideal. Especially the bamboo as you could make the hole taper using different diameter pieces

i learned something similar in Japan using bamboo called "fukiya"(iirc): cut a section about a foot (or a bit longer) with one end just below a node and poke a small hole in it which faces towards the fire. the "mouth end" has a larger opening. (hope my description makes sense...) it's amazingly effective and i've even used it for small campfire forging projects...

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I've managed, in the past, to take the pith out of a length of elder to use for this purpose. Then a couple of years later I read that all parts of the elder except for the flowers and berries are toxic. Oops.

I no longer have the elder tube, but I have the piece of pith.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
i learned something similar in Japan using bamboo called "fukiya"(iirc): cut a section about a foot (or a bit longer) with one end just below a node and poke a small hole in it which faces towards the fire. the "mouth end" has a larger opening. (hope my description makes sense...) it's amazingly effective and i've even used it for small campfire forging projects...
You could probably do the same with a piece of Japanese Knotweed.

Reactions: forrestdweller

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE