Fight!! Fight !!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
obviously RM has the knowledge for real, but on the other hand, he is the Nigel Mansell of bushcraft - brilliant but boring

Do you think RM is boring? I think he presents his topic really well. I will always try to watch him when I can. Bear i can take or leave - mainly leave.

Cheers,

Huon

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
I think they both have there place and there value. RM for the more buschcraft and practical and BG for the entertainment and comic aspect.

I am sure BG is a competent individual considering his background but he has opted for the money making and shock side of the media.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Do you think RM is boring? I think he presents his topic really well. I will always try to watch him when I can. Bear i can take or leave - mainly leave.
Second that, I think Mr Mears does a great job the way he presents his shows! You actually learn something (me as a newbie anyway), get to see some of the great outdoors and have enough time for it. Not just another series of useless flashes with a lot of stunts that sell good. He's not a bad teacher imho...

Cheers

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
I think they both have there place and there value. RM for the more buschcraft and practical and BG for the entertainment and comic aspect.

I am sure BG is a competent individual considering his background but he has opted for the money making and shock side of the media.

Seconded. Plus he's fiiiiiiiiiiiit. But I'd choose to watch RM over BG any day - Bear really annoys me sometimes.. Particularly the way he calls himself Bear. And his son Marmaduke. And his programs. But he's entertaining I guess!

I also agree about Ray - I don't find him boring at all :eek: and really informative too..

Feb 24, 2008
North Wales
I think they both represent different ends of the spectrum, I enjoy watching both but if I had to live out rough for a year I would want RM as my wingman. Whilst BG can be informative and entertaining he's mainly reckless, the last thing you should be when out in field.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
This will be interesting, I wonder if BG will respond, I doubt it. :rolleyes: BG annoys me because he gives out what I consider to be dangerous advice, at least some will see it as advice even if its not meant to be portrayed as that.

Ray Mears is a real master in his area, no doubt about it. As we all know he is very knowledgable in the wide variety of nature and our relationships with it. He works with nature and shows appreciation towards it, BG fights against it and uses it to put on a show and make money. It seems very silly in my opinion. I've got a small peice dedicated to Bear Grylls here. ;)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I like em both,however I do feel Bear gets alot of flack unfairly to be quite honest.Its tv/entertainment.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
This will be interesting, I wonder if BG will respond, I doubt it. :rolleyes: BG annoys me because he gives out what I consider to be dangerous advice, at least some will see it as advice even if its not meant to be portrayed as that.

Ray Mears is a real master in his area, no doubt about it. As we all know he is very knowledgable in the wide variety of nature and our relationships with it. He works with nature and shows appreciation towards it, BG fights against it and uses it to put on a show and make money. It seems very silly in my opinion. I've got a small peice dedicated to Bear Grylls here. ;)

Couldnt agree more. One day somebody will get themselves killed following his advice. I believe that his shows should be made to have a warning at the start saying something like:

THE INFORMATION IN THIS PROGRAM IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT VALUE ONLY.
COPYING ANY OF THE ACTIONS WILL PROBABLY RESULT IN DEATH.

I am amazed to hear he was in the SAS. In fact I think that is bull. I wonder what Lofty thinks of him.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

It isn't called "Man vs Wild" in the states for nothing. Its how the entire show has been set up, and I find it very American.

Making money isn't a bad thing, that's why almost all shows get made.

Think RM could have left out the personal comments about BG. Especially when he admits he has had to argue with directors himself.

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
I am amazed to hear he was in the SAS. In fact I think that is bull. I wonder what Lofty thinks of him.
It wasn't SAS as such. He was in the TA SAS. Credit where it's due he did still have to pass selection but you get a lot longer to do that than regulars - from memory I think its about a year compared to 6 weeks although I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Take him with a pinch of salt and treat it as entertainment. To be honest I can't watch as it just gets me annoyed so one less viewer for him. I think the term "showman" or "entertainer" is probably right on the money.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
...BG annoys me because he gives out what I consider to be dangerous advice, at least some will see it as advice even if its not meant to be portrayed as that...

Agreed, if I paraphrase something I wrote on an earlier thread,

"If television companies believe that a particular formula will make them lots of money, then we're going to see more of that kind of programming. If Mr. Grylls adventures prove to be popular we can expect to see more of the same from him and others.

Programming which deals with the subject of bushcraft in a calmer, less gladiatorial style will no longer be made.

More importantly, when the viewing public pick up on the fact that the adventurous antics depicted in the more 'exciting' programs may not have been so adventurous after all and change the channel, then the TV companies will move onto the next big thing and we'll have no bushcraft type programming at all."

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I have watched BG a couple of times but found him really annoying, anything he does 'bushcraft' wise is never explained fully and the whole show is sloppy and IMHO not particularly entertaining, if I'm going to be spending an hour of my life watching something I want to learn from it in some way, even the cinematography is poor.

RM informs you a lot better and the photography is fantastic, you get a real sense of the atmosphere from his programmes than from BG.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE