Fight!! Fight !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
You don't often see Ray going 'This is an extremely dangerous bit of my journey to safety(hotel) I'm gonna have to cross this busy road, risking my very life doing so. But first I have to take off all my clothes....."

I like Ray, he's very informative and knowledgeable. You get the impression that he's very passionate about being outdoors and gets a real sense of enjoyment being out in the elements

I like Bear, in the same way I like other entertainers, he makes me laugh. You get the impression that he can't wait to get out there and grab nature by the b@lls and squeeze. One day, Nature will do the same to him.

RM programs? Watch, enjoy, learn

BG programs? Watch, laugh!

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
when i said Ray was boring, i don't mean the content of the show - i have all his series' on my computer, and love watching them. the boring was more in reference to his deadpan style - watch a Nigel Mansell interview and you'll see what i mean:)
i'll be watching 'Walkabout', but like fishy, i wish he'd do something in the uk for once
BG - take or leave him - i don't care enough to get angry about it

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Artists Rifles, in his case what kind of artist is that then.

Regarding commitment level to 21&23 SAS its was one evening a week and every weekend for the first three months I think, and one evening a week and one weekend per month thereafter. I personally have a lot of respect for those that are prepared to give up so much of their own time and have a very good chance of having regular deployments.

Pothunter.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Not that Ray's programmes are without moments of humour.

I must admit having a little chuckle - as The Perfectionist - deviates from his usual predictable self (and gawd we love 'im for it!):

Ray lost his paddle whilst canoe-ing
Ray burns his hand on a billy can over a fire
Ray falls through a snow drift when he steps off his skidoo
Ray emotionally sheds a tear when revisiting some tribespeople in Africa

H

High on Hex

Interesting that RM comes out with this just as his new show is about to start. Has he signed up Max Clifford as publicist or something?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I enjoy watching Ray Mears but I am sorry for anyone who may be offended by this next comment but I will make it anyway.

Bear is a complete and utter tool, his programmes are so obviously staged that its pathetic, I can't stand to watch the goon and would rather be stabbed in the eye with a thistle.

There, I've said it, slaps on the wrist awaited for being nasty to the poor (but grossly overpaid when you consider his advice) chap.

rancid badger

I think they both have there place and there value. RM for the more buschcraft and practical and BG for the entertainment and comic aspect.

I am sure BG is a competent individual considering his background but he has opted for the money making and shock side of the media.

Ultimately:
If you want to learn: RM's
If you want to laugh, shake your head muttering and eventually, shout at the TV:BG!!

Hah! poetry!!...get it? "shout at the TV:BG" see?

see ya!
R.B.

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
how do you people think about less throut (i'd rather eat more throut:p), he claims to don't have a camera crew.

I think he's pretty good, much better then bear, it is hard to compare with ray becouse survival and bushcraft are completely different(i like bushcraft alot more).

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
how do you people think about less throut (i'd rather eat more throut:p), he claims to don't have a camera crew.

I think he's pretty good, much better then bear, it is hard to compare with ray becouse survival and bushcraft are completely different(i like bushcraft alot more).

Les Stroud is a good un. I think BG has tried to emulate Les' style but in a quick n nasty way. RM is a different world from all as far as I'm concerned.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I noticed when Ray Mears featured on Radio 1 a couple of days ago Edith's questions were all survival this survival that, "what would you do in this situation" etc. Its obvious that the mainstream media and a lot of the public have difficulty in understanding any differences between Bushcraft and survival. They honestly treated him as if he was purely a survival-guy and as a result he'd pass a lot of comments off comically. Yes he has done a lot of survival techniques and methods, but im sure he's done a lot more on craft, education in history and nature, cooking and basically non-vital/woodsman stuff, as he would put it... learning to understand and become at ease with nature and feel comfortable in your natural environment. Why is it that so much of the public have difficulty understanding that Bushcraft dosen't have to be mostly survival. :yikes:

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
really lads i dont see the big deal - most of us tend to understand the difference between reality and the showman stuff - surely BG's stuff is just for the craic, i mean if you cant tell the difference between living at one with your surroundings and just doing what you have to to get the hell outta there then maybe these programmes arent for you - it is only tv after all

think about all the shows we watch even down to soaps that have people on seat edges - will Den come back again etc etc, here you have a guy about to decend a slipperry rock face on a waterfall with a vine - how more seat edge entertaining can it get - will he wont he fall. oh you mean you were all taking notes on his technique!! ha ha ha ha

i once learned a phrase - moaning is like sitting on a rocking chair - it passes the time but never gets you anywhere

i shall now get my coat...

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
really lads i dont see the big deal - most of us tend to understand the difference between reality and the showman stuff - surely BG's stuff is just for the craic, i mean if you cant tell the difference between living at one with your surroundings and just doing what you have to to get the hell outta there then maybe these programmes arent for you - it is only tv after all

think about all the shows we watch even down to soaps that have people on seat edges - will Den come back again etc etc, here you have a guy about to decend a slipperry rock face on a waterfall with a vine - how more seat edge entertaining can it get - will he wont he fall. oh you mean you were all taking notes on his technique!! ha ha ha ha

i once learned a phrase - moaning is like sitting on a rocking chair - it passes the time but never gets you anywhere

i shall now get my coat...
Well I wasn't going to post on this thread as I thought it had all got a bit silly (my dad can have your dad attitude),but this post has my vote well done mate.
Mike B...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Say what you want about the Bear, and I could spend quite some time on the subject, I am a bit surprised at Ray. He doesn't come across like he is portrayed in the newspaper article and so close to his new series seems like he is trying to get the viewer figures up before the series starts! Come on Ray, no need to use those sort of tactics, your natural ability in front of the camera should be enough, and make sure you do a UK based series next time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE