Fight!! Fight !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
You should all stop attacking Bear! from watching him I have learned that I can jump on the back of a wild horse and ride to safety if I'm lost in the Rockies,(though bear failed to mention he jumped on the back of a tame horse complete with horseshoes) and I can jump in a river and float twelve miles using just my rucksack (though Bear actually failed to mention he also had a hidden lifejacket on) But even so , everybody knows wild horses will ride you all the way back to civilisation, they are our friends, like lassie and flipper, it was a really sensible survival idea and I bet Ray Mears is really sick he didn't show it in one of his programmes first.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
RM = Scaled down version of God

BG = Dangerous, poor advice giving wally who wouldn't know the first thing about true survival unless RM came up and smacked him round the face with it.

Sorry but this isn't even a contest or a fight, truth is if they ever came face to face, BG would be knocked flat on his face.

He is a jumped up adrenaline junkie/rubbish entertainer, RM is a trained survival instructor whose advice has probably saved countless lives and he is a great entertainer, who said he was boring?

Anyway, case closed, just as i expect this thread will be very soon :cool:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
You know I cant even imagine Ray saying " ah just what I was looking for: A wild stallion! I'm going to use an old trick I learned from the indians and jump on its back, this should take me to where I'm going..."

You know what...I'd turn off.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
You should all stop attacking Bear! from watching him I have learned that I can jump on the back of a wild horse and ride to safety if I'm lost in the Rockies,(though bear failed to mention he jumped on the back of a tame horse complete with horseshoes) and I can jump in a river and float twelve miles using just my rucksack (though Bear actually failed to mention he also had a hidden lifejacket on) But even so , everybody knows wild horses will ride you all the way back to civilisation, they are our friends, like lassie and flipper, it was a really sensible survival idea and I bet Ray Mears is really sick he didn't show it in one of his programmes first.

LOL you forgot to include the [SARCASTIC][/SARCASTIC] tags :lmao:

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
It wasn't SAS as such. He was in the TA SAS. Credit where it's due he did still have to pass selection but you get a lot longer to do that than regulars - from memory I think its about a year compared to 6 weeks although I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I remember from his Everest book (was a long time ago I read it mind) I worked out that although he passed selection, he couldn't have finished his continuation training before breaking his back and leaving. However, fairness where fairness is due, to pass selection, break your back, recover and become the youngest Brit to climb Everest is a hell of an achievement... and I don't think many of the people who bash that (especially with the 'climbing Everest only takes money' crap) have any idea of what it takes mentally to do either.

OK, so with the exception of his programme on paramotoring in the Himalaya IMHO most of his shows have been daft and dangerous... on the other hand anyone willing to copy him by say abseiling down a waterfall holding onto a vine prob doesn't have a great life expectancy anyway. From SAS selection to natural selection...

RM on the other hand - not got the looks, but a legend anyway! :rolleyes: :cool:

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
lol, there's a certain expectancy amongst many of you that this thread will be locked, im guessing due to a track record of other threads discussing BearVsMears, im sure we can keep it civilised we've done pretty well so far. ;) Having said that its probably been done to death. Im just looking forward to Ray's new show this coming Sunday :aargh4: Anyone heard if there's any credibility to him riding this kangaroo in the second episode? :p

S

Sheng_ji

Bear is hillarious - did any one see the show in the desert (this series) he had a wee on his bandanna and wrapped it around his head then later in the show strained water out of it directly into his mouth! Made me laugh for the rest of the evening (I did notice his forehead wasn't inflamed due to the urea being pressed into his skin in the heat....)

Also did anyone see the bit in the most recent show where he pulled a foldable paraglider out his bag.... anyone else got room for one of those? Better pack one on every flight I take over mountains, looks like a lifesaver!!

And what about the bit where he openly points out that there was no way of knowing how deep the pool 10-15ft below him is, yet tombstones into it anyway.....

And what about....

The point is, the information he gives is dangerous and if he ever did find himself in the wilderness, would cut his chances of survival dramatically - however, for us, its pure comedy genius, and the best bit is, no one else gets the joke ;)

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I've got to agree with the general consensus here that BG is a bit of an oddball showman.

I also have to say that I find his almost constant reference to "when I was in the Special Forces" :AR15firin more than a tad irritating! As I understand it he was TA SAS for three years, I'd guess 21 SAS.

Now, while SAS TA tend to put in a lot more training days than the average TA bloke (and the basic attendance requirement for a typical TA unit is a total of 27 days per year), speaking as ex-regular RAF and, more recently, a reservist myself, who did an average 50 days per year, I'd be surprised if he put in more than a total of 200 - 250 days in his three year stint, that's just over 8 months total time if you add the days up. Not such a big deal after all! :D

I've more regard for him for getting back to a standard of fitness that allows him to do what he does after suffering an apparently severe spinal injury while parachuting. :beerchug:

Given the choice of who I'd rather be stranded with, it's got to be RM any day - unless I was in Oz in which case it would have to be the Original & Best, Les Hiddins! :You_Rock_ Les!

S

Sheng_ji

Oh forgot to say... just because Ray Mears doesn't pander to attention span deficit disorders, doesn't make his show boring - he just doesn't feel the need to bite a raw fish every five minutes just incase someone turns over!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Come on now people, if it really came to a fight we all know Ray would clearly be the winner. I think he definitetly has the weight advantage, and has been known for packing one h*ll of a left hook. On the other hand, Bear has better reach, but has he got the heart to go all the rounds? Ray most definitely got the better chin of these two gentlemen.

My money is with Ray. The only way Bear would take this one home is if he resorted to dirty tricks (his affection for excrements has been mentioned, just hope he leaves the ring in an unsoiled state).

"Gentlemen, protect yourself at all times... Seconds out!"

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Come on now people, if it really came to a fight we all know Ray would clearly be the winner. I think he definitetly has the weight advantage, and has been known for packing one h*ll of a left hook. On the other hand, Bear has better reach, but has he got the heart to go all the rounds? Ray most definitely got the better chin of these two gentlemen.

My money is with Ray. The only way Bear would take this one home is if he resorted to dirty tricks (his affection for excrements has been mentioned, just hope he leaves the ring in an unsoiled state).

"Gentlemen, protect yourself at all times... Seconds out!"

Surely Bear's very name would indicate he would beat Ray?
But wait! What about Ray's judo.. :eek: - did you see the world of survival where he won the tournament of like hardcore tribesmen? :eek:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Surely Bear's very name would indicate he would beat Ray?
But wait! What about Ray's judo.. :eek: - did you see the world of survival where he won the tournament of like hardcore tribesmen? :eek:

Aha, Ray got all sorts of tricks to him. He certainly got better odds now, being a judoka and everything.

2.18:1 for Ray?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I hate to say it, but mears is beginning to bore me slightly. Austrailia is not something I find very interesting, would something closer to home hurt?

Bear's programs are funny yes, maybe not very accurate. The prusik knot he showed on his last episode was not the one I know of, it may be a variation but I don't think it was the true one. And I almost got excited when he was in the crevasse and I thought he was insinuating that he was going to get out without crampons, ice axes or the rope, but no. That would have been extremely impressive. But the kind of stuff he does definately appeals to me, maybe not all of it, but he does have an exceptional range of similes, for example: "Tastes like an explosion of pus in my mouth".

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
You know what the trouble is I find with Both Mears and Bear?
(and Id say Ray is more at fault what with it being more his area) Nobody has done a show for the average bushcrafter. Everything shown is about survival, or how our ancestors would have survived. Ive yet to see a show which says "Ok so you want to spend a week in the bush, well aside from lighting fires safely and what you can legally pick, youre still going to be mostly eating food from home, so here is what I pack when I go away , this is roughly the size of backpack, and this is roughly the weight. Here is all the equipment I like to bring..."

I dont think Ray has yet done a show where he has explained what exactly he does eat while away and all the stuff taken for say, a week in scottish highlands. I know his books are specifically bushcraft and not camping, but in the modern world for modern travellers we cannot really draw a clear line between the two. The closest I remember him coming to that is when he showed the stuff he would take to the desert.
Despite reading many books on bushcraft, mostly Rays and Lofty, I found myself looking to average camping camping books for more useful information on what to pack for the may meet!

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I've got to agree with the general consensus here that BG is a bit of an oddball showman.

I also have to say that I find his almost constant reference to "when I was in the Special Forces" :AR15firin more than a tad irritating! As I understand it he was TA SAS for three years, I'd guess 21 SAS.

Now, while SAS TA tend to put in a lot more training days than the average TA bloke (and the basic attendance requirement for a typical TA unit is a total of 27 days per year), speaking as ex-regular RAF and, more recently, a reservist myself, who did an average 50 days per year, I'd be surprised if he put in more than a total of 200 - 250 days in his three year stint, that's just over 8 months total time if you add the days up. Not such a big deal after all! :D

I've more regard for him for getting back to a standard of fitness that allows him to do what he does after suffering an apparently severe spinal injury while parachuting. :beerchug:

Given the choice of who I'd rather be stranded with, it's got to be RM any day - unless I was in Oz in which case it would have to be the Original & Best, Les Hiddins! :You_Rock_ Les!

You Sir have read my Canadian mind Perfectly!! I Could not have said it better :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ach! - the fight has to go to RM....BG would stil be in the hotel when the bell sounded - telling the camera how he was beating the elephant dung out of RM!:D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I am glued to the box every week with BG. You are right about it being comic genius. I don't stop howling with laughter from start to end. Even my wife (who takes a rather dim view of my woodland whittlings) finds it hilarious. We watch it for entertainment and not education though.

*effects Bear Grylls voice*

Peed on bandana......DONE!
Jumped off cliff.....DONE!
Fallen down crevass dramatically on camera...DONE!
Climbed inside a camel....DONE!
Given myself hypothermia....DONE!
Tombstoned into shallow pool...DONE!
Waved hands like a maniac underneath a moving helicopter....DONE!
Peed in my waterbottle.....DONE!
Run down a snowy hill/dune/anything with dramatic, theatrical strides and rolls...DONE

Can't wait for the next one!

(I feel a bit ashamed that my 400th post had to be on this subject :( )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE