Fight!! Fight !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Say what you want about the Bear, and I could spend quite some time on the subject, I am a bit surprised at Ray. He doesn't come across like he is portrayed in the newspaper article and so close to his new series seems like he is trying to get the viewer figures up before the series starts! Come on Ray, no need to use those sort of tactics, your natural ability in front of the camera should be enough, and make sure you do a UK based series next time!
I have a feeling the newspapers put a spin on this. They often single out a quote from an article or something said off the cufff, and often if can be months ago or even years ago. I remember richard dawkins being duped into slagging off his book prize rival peter kay.
Kay had said in his book he felt drawn to religion because it was comforting. Dawkins was asked over the phone how he felt about people who were religious because it comforted them. He said he felt it was silly to believe what you found comforting without facing the reality that what you want to be true doesnt become the truth because you find it nice.
The headline the next day in a paper was that Dawkins was having a go at his rival Kay and calling him illogical and silly, even though he had no idea the question was being applied to Peter Kay! Newspapers work in mysterious ways!

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Here we go....the gloves are off

I can picture the episode now:

Scene one - We are walking with BG through shady English woodland towards a sunlit clearing. BG is excitedly explaining to camera about the forthcoming face-off and how he will need to use some techniques learned whilst he was in the special forces to take his adversary down.

Cut to RM, Swanndri-clad, who is standing silently behind a majestic oak holding a sturdy-looking branch.

Cut back to walking with BG. Just as he is about to enter the clearing, RM steps from behind the oak and the branch descends rapidly towards BG....fade to black.

Scene two - We follow RM through typical English woodland and he chats to camera and collects seasonal wild salad ingredients such as hawthorn and beech leaves, wood sorrel, hedge garlic, etc into his billy.

Scene three - Back in the clearing, RM explains to camera about preparation and use of the bowdrill, and demonstrates by getting a small fire going

Cut to RM sitting on a log, holding his billy lid and a wooden spoon. In the background, next to the fire, we can just see the world's biggest ponassing setup. There is no sign of BG.

RM raises his spoon for the first mouthful, chews experimentally, then cracks a smile. "Hmm," he says appreciately, "wild food. Delicious."

Rat

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I personally much prefer Ray's shows for the simple fact that I feel learn more from them. But it is glaringly obvious this has been started by Ray or at least the BBC on Ray's behalf to promote his new show. I find this distasteful. Why? Because the 'who is better' stuff that inevitably results in the press from publicity driven criticism of one of them by the other is all a bit fatuous unless there is a serious debate - if Ray really thinks that Bear is a dangerous boy-scout he should lay out his arguments with a lot more than interview sound bites, and preferably not the week before a new show airs! I suppose in the end, sadly, Dunelm is absolutely right, 'the public' are thick - they lap this confrontational bull-**** up and a few more people will find their way to Ray's show as a result.

Chris

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Indeed it is very funny!

Strangely enough, today was a day of spotting lookalikes in Bradford for me. I spied Boris Yeltsin who looked remarkably well considering he died last year, and I'm not sure what Bear Grylls has been up to but he was wandering along in Bradford on crutches with a bust up leg and a fag in his gob! I love spotting lookalikes! :D

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Indeed it is very funny!

Strangely enough, today was a day of spotting lookalikes in Bradford for me. I spied Boris Yeltsin who looked remarkably well considering he died last year, and I'm not sure what Bear Grylls has been up to but he was wandering along in Bradford on crutches with a bust up leg and a fag in his gob! I love spotting lookalikes! :D

:lmao: We play this game. We call it 'kat, as in our local broad dialect for 'look at...'

I play it in Manchester with a mate at work and get bonus points for when you 'kat' the actual famous person :D We've have a few recently, namely Badly Drawn Boy aka Damon Gough in the Arndale (just outside Aldi) and John Henshaw - the bloke from the Post Office ads in Aldi (in the Arndale).

Jan 1, 1970
shropshire
As an ex military jungle survival instructor i can reliably tell you the main aim of SURVIVAL is to conserve energy find shelter water food etc but the key word is SURVIVE. If you go jumping round the trees and climbing waterfalls like some hyperactive lunatic you will, in yr weakened state through lack of nutrition, hurt yourself.
Ray Mears has excellent knowledge and passes on that info in an entertaining format, calm, in charge, and confident.
Bear Grylls on the other hand is pure thrill seeking entertainment. Sorry to rant a bit as im sure you are all aware of that but it annoys me slightly to pay to watch such unadulterated ***p

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
As an ex military jungle survival instructor i can reliably tell you the main aim of SURVIVAL is to conserve energy find shelter water food etc but the key word is SURVIVE. If you go jumping round the trees and climbing waterfalls like some hyperactive lunatic you will, in yr weakened state through lack of nutrition, hurt yourself.
Ray Mears has excellent knowledge and passes on that info in an entertaining format, calm, in charge, and confident.
Bear Grylls on the other hand is pure thrill seeking entertainment. Sorry to rant a bit as im sure you are all aware of that but it annoys me slightly to pay to watch such unadulterated ***p

Welcome Bri :)

As I read your post I have Jonathan Ross interviewing Neil Diamond as a back track and I read your words in his dulcet tones so it didn't sound like a rant at all :D

As you're an ex military jungle survival instructor I hope to hear some good stories if you get the time.

Jan 1, 1970
shropshire
Sorry m8 dont do lisps and my hairs falling out on a daily basis. I have seen one or two wierd and wonderful things in my time and may get round to boring the pants off everyone in the future.
Just read all threads on this subject and tho we never met it was nice to see les hiddens writing some pearls of wisdom.....per ardua

PS anyone know how to insert icon thingys into messages? can just about manage typing bit but icon thingys are a bit complicated

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Sorry m8 dont do lisps and my hairs falling out on a daily basis. I have seen one or two wierd and wonderful things in my time and may get round to boring the pants off everyone in the future.
Just read all threads on this subject and tho we never met it was nice to see les hiddens writing some pearls of wisdom.....per ardua

PS anyone know how to insert icon thingys into messages? can just about manage typing bit but icon thingys are a bit complicated

LOL I mean't Neil Diamond, not Wossy :lmao:

Anyway, when you click on the reply button the 'smiley' icons should be just below the large text box that you type into.

If not then it may be that your settings are wrong. In that case look towards the top left and find the User CP link. Click that to go into your user control panel.

On the left under the Control Panel click on the Edit Options link.

Scroll right to the bottom to the Miscellaneous Options bit and make sure that the Message Editor Interface is set to 'Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls'.

Click on the 'Save Changes' button at the very bottom and you should be good to go ;)

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Did anyone else notice in BG's latest programme how he abseiled down a large cliff on a non doubled up rope and magically had it back on his back by the next scene. A little help from the camera men?

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I knew there was a good reason I've been spending more time in the woods and less on this forum of late. 75 posts and going strong.

Yawn. It's telly.

Scoops

Jan 1, 1970
shropshire
:) :You_Rock_

Thanks M8
I know its only telly but there are people out there who take what they see on telly as true...especially with an 'ex special forces' tag on it ( more like special needs ).
I love the bits where u can eat a grasshopper or a beatle and have enough protein to last for days:D

Oi Bear:buttkick:

Jan 1, 1970
shropshire
:) :You_Rock_

Thanks M8
I know its only telly but there are people out there who take what they see on telly as true...especially with an 'ex special forces' tag on it ( more like special needs ).
I love the bits where u can eat a grasshopper or a beatle and have enough protein to last for days:D

Oi Grylls :buttkick:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
mind you, it is useful to know that camels have a belly full of drinkable water, unfortunately bears other `advice` is so dodgy I dont know if i can trust him. it was probably poisonous!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE