Fight!! Fight !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
PS anyone know how to insert icon thingys into messages? can just about manage typing bit but icon thingys are a bit complicated

Another useful tool is the quote (
quote.gif
) button, on the down-right side of every post. If you want to reply to a specific post, it's best to use that button. There will be some text in the typingbox which will 'quote' the text. Just typ your own text underneath it.
Then everybody know about what you are talking and to whom.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Did anyone else notice in BG's latest programme how he abseiled down a large cliff on a non doubled up rope and magically had it back on his back by the next scene. A little help from the camera men?

I did notice that. The only way I could think would be a sheepshank with the middle cord cut, when kept tight the knot will stay firm. When you get to the bottom, take the load off the rope and give it a shake and the rope will fall, apart from a loss of less than a metre. Maybe this wasn't shown for interest reasons, or if someone tried it and mistied the knot BG could be liable. But it does work.

Jan 1, 1970
shropshire
Another useful tool is the quote (
quote.gif
) button, on the down-right side of every post. If you want to reply to a specific post, it's best to use that button. There will be some text in the typingbox which will 'quote' the text. Just typ your own text underneath it.
Then everybody know about what you are talking and to whom.

Ta every bit helps

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I did notice that. The only way I could think would be a sheepshank with the middle cord cut, when kept tight the knot will stay firm. When you get to the bottom, take the load off the rope and give it a shake and the rope will fall, apart from a loss of less than a metre. Maybe this wasn't shown for interest reasons, or if someone tried it and mistied the knot BG could be liable. But it does work.

Isnt it just more likely that...you know, the crew untied it?, Then calmly descended down the wooden staircase next to waterfall?

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I like the idea of Bear Grylls as Comedy Bushcraft. How about "Carry on Bushcraft" starring Anthony Grylls as The Bear? "Any relationship between real events and situations is purely coincidental". "Do not try these stunts at Home (or anywhere else for that matter) as they have been performed by professional TV producers and although they might look real they are not".

"The producers wish to advise viewers to use caution when sucking animal dung (or anything else they find lying around outside), biting the heads off live snakes (even though you've got a knife), tombstoning into ice cold water, sleeping inside dead animals and staying at motels."

The main reason he gets me so annoyed is that his advice is often downright dangerous and I'm afraid that some people might be tempted to imitate him. It is also a shame that the show, which has potential to be educational and informative, is so poorly presented.

We've discussed all his idiotic, energy wasting stunts to death, probably because they annoy us so much, but he also shows very little respect to the people he comes across. I watched a show were he speaks to some French speaking Muslim nomads. The French is poorly translated, he shows no respect to their traditions and he ignores what the guy says and does his own thing.

The same with some Central American tribesmen that he meets. I can't remember what he did but again he showed his lack of understanding and respect for their ways.

Ray Mears on the other hand shows a lot of respect for the environment and people he meets. I don't always agree with Ray on philosophical issues but I hold him in high regard and I will go out of my way to watch his programmes and speak highly of him to others.

I wonder if Ray deliberately chose to show us that lizard on his new show thinking about Bear Grylls. He explained how you could eat it and get liquid from it if you were desperate and then instead of biting its head off he put it back.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
OK, so most seem to think RM is the better bushcrafter of the two, I agree. If you see RM in his programs you can tell he is at home in almost any type wild land, not having to hurry or do anything in a rush, as he is comfortable anyway. Bear on the other hand seems to be enduring (not for real as I understand he stays in hotels, but hey its television).

I have to say though Bear appears to have a great physical condition, allowing him to to endure. Also he does things I never would dare. So for that I have to give him credits. I wish I had his physical condition. As for serving in SAS, even if it was the TA SAS (wathever that may be). How many of you can say they have done this ?

The problem with bear are potentially when people start to actually try his techniques. They seem to contradict all the basic rules rescue professionals say you should follow when in a crises, making it more difficult for them to help / find you.

The thing that really troubles me about Rays comments (although I'm a big fan, and thankfulll that his programs got me back into the woods after a decade of staying at home), is that I just don't find them decent in to state in the media.

I believe in live and let live. I find his comments in the article to be unneccessary, as most of us really can make up our own minds. And to be straightforward I also find them a bit distastfull. So in that sense I'm sad to say but I'm a bit disappointed in Ray for this.

Well just my humble thoughts on the subject.

Grtz,

Niels

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, I can say I did 14 years in the Forces, and I did the real thing not the weekend warrior and then go on about it like I was on the balcony at Princess Gate! Maybe I didn't paraglide over Everest (There are doubts that Bear did either) but i flew off of the Tegelberg in Southern Germany, un-powered using just thermals and flew over the castle from Chity Chitty Bang Bang. I may not have climbed Everest at 21, but I walked up the hill where my parents house was in Plymouth. And I didn't use oxygen tanks!

Bear is full of it, but unfortunately most of the population are buying it and so the Producers will keep banging it out. It is a good earner. I'm a bit aggrieved as there could be something worthwhile on instead. Saying that, hopefully some idiots will take his advice and do the gene pool a favour!

J14

Aug 22, 2008
county durham
I think that Bears show is more of a worst case survival show and RM's is how to go into a wood and be able to stay there for a while and turn the surroundings to you comfourt

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Well, I can say I did 14 years in the Forces, and I did the real thing not the weekend warrior and then go on about it like I was on the balcony at Princess Gate!

Bit unfair there bro these guys are really committed to their role they get very little money for what they do and are treated like dirt me being one of the offenders im sorry to say, when on exercise we did train a group up prior to 82 and they were dedicated lads with their heads screwed on switched on from the word go I could not have asked for a better bunch you could spend a lfetime in the forces and still just be a mechanic with the ability to use a fire arm on the other hand you can specialize and become a machine :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE