Fed up of normal life

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minstrel

Forager
Feb 9, 2009
Hartlepool
Grantdan...I feel for you. It sounds like you've spent 7 years chasing a skill you don't feel you want to pursue. That may be the case but as others have mooted....you are still very young :) Given your age you can feel chuffed that you've worked out what you want (and don't want) to do already....

To give you another perspective, I found myself in your situation around xmas 2009.. I was living in France, following what I thought I wanted and a family man - I'll spare you the gory details but I found myself back in the UK dossing on my brother's floor and wondering where to go next. Like you, I knew I liked the great outdoors, I enjoyed walking, camping, learning about the countryside and starting to take responsibility for my actions in terms of ecology... this led me to look for work in the environmental sector. I had no qualification but was lucky in finding a six month seasonal job with The National Trust working in The Lake District; while there I realised most of the positions I dreamt of filling required both experience and qualifications so I went back to school.. (aged 45!).
I headed to a rural land based college near Edinburgh to take on an HNC in countryside and environmental management; I'm still there, two thirds through and loving it.
I've volunteered as an access officer for West Lothian, we have a week-long field trip to Rum in a month, and I am waiting to hear from Flat Holm in The Bristol Channel about working over Easter as an interpretation assistant and wildlife monitor... I can't wait... :)
Further, as money was worse that tight, I've managed through a nasty winter in a camper van...and guess what - I've loved nearly every moment of it...

I do understand your frustration at losing 7 years but trust me...the best is still ahead if you're prepared to grasp the nettle. It always is, no matter what your age.

Good luck buddy, the world is your lobster.

Last edited:

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Ypu should come to scandinavia,especially swe or fin,we have plenty of wilderness and ways to get funds & apartement pretty easily if youre foreign and student of some occupatin or science.Start to study,you have to study some 6-8 months a year and then you have 6 to4 months vacations,and government offers you all sorts of money aids thru the year.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
i dont mind what the work is, i just feel like i need to find myself, and what makes me happier. i enjoy working outside, and all my previous work has been practical environments, which suits me better.

Being in my mid 20's would i be a suitable applicant for a youth hostel? and having no qualifications other than engineering/mechanical background?

I was an Asst YHA Warden for a season when I returned to GB in my 20s ...and my skills were in Computer Programming!
Poor dosh but I finished work each day at about 12 noon and started again at around 4.30 - 5pm so had loads of freetime (if only 1 day off a week and worked until about 10.30 most nights) and lots of fun!
Work ranged from cleaning Loos to cooking for up to 40 people, taking bookings to selling stuff in the hostel shop, advising folk on local things to do to cleaning gutters out...

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
If, in your life, you have regrets. Make sure that they're for things which you did, rather than for things which you didn't...

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
thanks for all the advice and directions i can take. i think ill spend some time this week looking at some farms around, see if they need a live in farmhand or along the lines. as im currently classed as jobless, i dont have the funds to buy a ticket and travel, although it is very appealing to just move around once i have the chance to save a little

TrashCanMan

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2009
Basingstoke
Pack a bag and go. Something will turn up along the way. Hitchhike if you have to, walk, travel as cheap as possible. It will be one hell of an adventure.

Be nice to all people you meet and tell them your story. Work will turn up, maybe a day's worth, maybe a week, maybe more. Go with the flow.

Just do it now while you can.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
thanks for all the advice and directions i can take. i think ill spend some time this week looking at some farms around, see if they need a live in farmhand or along the lines. as im currently classed as jobless, i dont have the funds to buy a ticket and travel, although it is very appealing to just move around once i have the chance to save a little

Go in to the Job Centre and ask about the Future Jobs Fund specifically in forestry and conservation.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Go in to the Job Centre and ask about the Future Jobs Fund specifically in forestry and conservation.

I am currently recruiting folk on the future jobs fund and through WWOOF. The future jobs fund is great for a six month placement but the pay will only be £6.50 an hour at the most and you'll have to find yer own digs etc. Also it is only for people under 26 who have been unemployed for more than 6 months.you might be better off on the brew.

WWOOFing is an excellent idea for the gathering of experience and broadening your horizons. A friend of mine has been WWOOFing for a year now (started at my place) and is currently stuck at 'Tinkers Bubble' having become involved with a lovely lady and her kin. He's learned many skills on the way including felling trees with a two man saw, weaving baskets, how to use a scythe etc. Very valueable skills. If you're very lucky you may find a long term wwoof placement that offers pocket money as well as digs and food.

Drop me a PM if you want to know more, sorting this kind of thing out is a huge part of my job.

Regards

Rob

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
well after a lot of thought and some research, i think im going to save a little cash and try and 'wander around' for say 6-12 months. i like the look of working on an organic farm. would there be any companions here that would like to join me? (the only part holding me back is being on my own)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
well after a lot of thought and some research, i think im going to save a little cash and try and 'wander around' for say 6-12 months. i like the look of working on an organic farm. would there be any companions here that would like to join me? (the only part holding me back is being on my own)

Take the opportunity to learn about yourself by traveling solo!

Time spent alone is a great way to discover the world, specifically the part occupied by you!

D

dakrido

i see what you mean grantdan, i had simmilar thoughts and now live in a camper, and loving life!
any questions, just let me now.

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol

my wife works for the Soil Association so if there's anything you want know just drop me a line

good luck!

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
does anybody have any pointers as to where i should be looking for work? i dont mind what it is, manual labour etc, but would prefer some form of accomodation/food and a little bit of pocket money?

Thanks

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I am currently recruiting folk on the future jobs fund and through WWOOF. The future jobs fund is great for a six month placement but the pay will only be £6.50 an hour at the most and you'll have to find yer own digs etc. Also it is only for people under 26 who have been unemployed for more than 6 months.you might be better off on the brew.

WWOOFing is an excellent idea for the gathering of experience and broadening your horizons. A friend of mine has been WWOOFing for a year now (started at my place) and is currently stuck at 'Tinkers Bubble' having become involved with a lovely lady and her kin. He's learned many skills on the way including felling trees with a two man saw, weaving baskets, how to use a scythe etc. Very valueable skills. If you're very lucky you may find a long term wwoof placement that offers pocket money as well as digs and food.

Drop me a PM if you want to know more, sorting this kind of thing out is a huge part of my job.

Regards

Rob

Not strictly correct on the age side of life, unless I suddenly got younger! It is for under 25s initially, but if a job doesn't get picked up within 2 weeks it is open to all. I'm mid 30s and there is a 40 odd year old and a really old ex-steel worker on out FJF. I take home 145 quid a week, not a great amount but I enjoy the job and will pick up some training on the way. I am looking at getting chainsaw licensed and I am on a First Aid at Work course on Monday so already I am becoming an asset to the work place. There is no guarantee that I will sta on after the six months, but the Wwoof thing may be my next step, I know my uncles place in France does Wwoof and I might go over and give my cousin a hand! :D

Seriously, if you are at home with your 'rents grantdan, then you could do a lot worse than at least ask. Take a look at your local Wildlife Trust and see if they have any places. You'll only work four days a week so you have time to do other things and look for other jobs to if you want. Badger your Job Cebtre and even ask to be advanced onto Stage 3, I did! ;) The support increases on Stage 3, and not many people ask to be advanced as they are happy to sit on the Old King Cole and work the system, but you sound like you want to do something constructive. FJF might be the answer short term, and you never know what may come of it! ;)

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
ill nag the local jobcentre next week, see what they say. just a bit curious as to how backpackers and the such manage, work for a few months then move on type of thing?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
ill nag the local jobcentre next week, see what they say. just a bit curious as to how backpackers and the such manage, work for a few months then move on type of thing?

here you go Grant:

http://www.wwoof.org.uk/

Also, the volly recruitment folk at my end will be in touch.

Phil ue: thanks for the info, the dole office are backward at coming forward with details.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE