Change of career

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Having had a good read of the replies you've recieved Ganstey, i think that you've probably done the right thing asking people who are removed from the situation yet still want the best for you. Whether it's experiences or opinions, you have access to lots of people on here who are probably of a similar outlook to you. I too have had health problems i'm sure BR siad he has had recently as well and when it comes down to it, it's not really a case of if you can afford to do it in a monetary sense, it's a case of can you afford not to do it from a health and welfare perspective. Pibbleb has told of his tale of woe, and there but for the grace of a superior being go many of us. I'm glad to hear he's coming out of the back end of it, but i'd hate to be in his position, what do you think?

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Ganstey,
I also work in the IT industry for a very large organisation and through the years have become quire senior in my role much to my distaste. I would recommend what I have done which is go part time/freelance so that you get a balance of cash and being out and about in your woods.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Another point.

There is nothing like doing all the research and being absolutely sure that you DO have the OPTION to change to make you feel happier with status quo.

Sometimes, when things aren't going well at work, all I need is to know that I have options. This is often enough to let me ride out the storm and go back to enjoying my job when I can. It might also push you to seek better remuneration, or responsibility from your existing job. Your woodland can still be a weekend/holiday solace to help you take stock again when you need to.

ganstey

Settler
Jedadiah, I think you've summed it up pretty well. I decided to raise it on here because I've come to respect the (often differing) opinions of the people on here and, as you say, none of you know me (AFAIK) so none of you have an axe to grind (sorry ;) ) or vested interest one way or the other.

There's been some interesting and thought-provoking suggestions and opinions put forward. Thanks to all.

My current thinking is to try setting myself up as a general odd-job handyman and TV/PC setter-upper for all those who are cash-rich/time-poor. A friend suggested maybe trying small-scale at first offering to do work evenings and weekends when people are home, rather than them having to take time off work just to workman-sit me. Would allow me to continue my current job in parallel. The only drawback is that I may well have less time of my own than I do now. However, if I really do get rushed off my feet then I'll know that I no longer need my current job.

Still lots to ponder on... :rolleyes:

G

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm in a similar situation to Ganstey, after leaving school at 16 I've been wearing The Navy Blue for the queen for 21 years. I lost a job offered recently that would have been great and I'd be happy but they wouldn't let me out early despite the need to shed people and save money. I leave next year and readily admit I'm institutionalised and that the break terrifies me but it needs to be done. I can put 4.5'' bricks on a beach for you and make a submarine earn her pay but I don't know what to do when I leave. I guess I need to do further research and consider my lifestyle, I do feel it's important to be happier with my life than earing a wedge but that also scares me. Whilst the advice wasn't offered to me initially thanks and I'll take it all into consideration.

ganstey

Settler
Hi all,

Just thought I'd update you with where I am...

I've decided to start up a part-time job, evenings and weekends, to test the market. Initially I'm offering a service whereby I setup PCs, TVs, Digiboxes etc. This is something I've done for friends for a number of years, and I have most of the required kit anyway. I'm hoping that by doing evenings and weekends I can tap into the market of those who are out at work all day.

I'm also going to offer what I can best describe as handyman services on the same basis. I'll do all the niggling little jobs that full-time trades people don't want to bother with.

I'm going to keep my own accounts right from the word go, in case I get to the point where I need to file a tax return.

If its gets to the point where I'm busy every evening and weekend then I'll know its time to chuck in the day job. I have an advert going in one of the county-wide newspapers this week (for a 10 week run), hoping to catch all those who have had some new equipment for Xmas or in the sales, but don't want the bother of setting it up.

Once the weather picks up in the spring I'll start focussing more on the handyman/gardening side of things.

The worst that can happen is that I get no takers at all, and have to write-off my expenses to date. But at least then I'll know that there isn't a living in that direction. And in the meantime I've got the financial security of my day job.

So I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those that contributed, and wish you all a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2008.

Cheers
G

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
G,
Just seen this thread, since I've only just joined the forum..

I'd just like to applaud you in the action you've taken - I know how difficult it can be to take those first steps...

I've been in a similar position to yourself, IT, 10 years, stress etc - and I know how bleak things can look. While I haven't yet made the leap into IT contracting yet (only a matter of time, unless my lottery win comes through first :D), I have been doing some other things which have helped immensely - including doing some volunteer work as a mediator.
The main two things that have/are helping though are Reiki and some NLP work I've done, most of the good stuff though is covered in a book called The Power of Now.. The former is something I'm happy to talk about at length through PM (I'm a practitioner as well as having received many treatments) as it's a bit off-topic for this forum, and the second I can very much recommend to help you manage the job-related stress side of things...

Let me know if you want to talk about anything though - always happy to help people work through stuff like this..

Cheers,
Dave

p.s. Pib - I've been there myself, went through a period of depression a couple years ago - and I guess it's important to realise that the anti-depressants are just a tool we can use to take some of the pressure off while we deal with the underlying issues - no different from using a crutch when you've broken your leg, and no more 'demeaning' or anything else..It sounds like this is just what you've done/are doing, so all credit due! :)

p.p.s. General point about stress/depression stuff. Just something I've learnt about in many cases like this - it can be a great opportunity to re-evaluate your life, to work out what might be out of balance etc, as it's often a result of some specific things that you're unhappy with in your life 'making themselves felt' if they've been ignored - so I can't recommend enough finding someone you trust to talk things through with - be it a spouse, sibling, priest, counsellor.. While I'm sure they come in varying guises, and perhaps with varying fields of expertise, the value in having someone trustworthy who you can discuss things with cannot be overstated - if nothing else it's a great way to give yourself 'permission' to take some time to really look at things, and at the same time another person's perspective on your situation can be immensely helpful...

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
p.s. Pib - I've been there myself, went through a period of depression a couple years ago - and I guess it's important to realise that the anti-depressants are just a tool we can use to take some of the pressure off while we deal with the underlying issues - no different from using a crutch when you've broken your leg, and no more 'demeaning' or anything else..It sounds like this is just what you've done/are doing, so all credit due! :)

Dave thanks for your comments and the points you have made are very true.

I did, at the time feel all of the cliches weak, powerless etc and if I'm honest this remains a fear a 'what if' factor if you like.

Whilst suffering, I let people down spoiling some relationships and strengthening others in part this resulted from not being honest and open with some people. However, in reality not feeling able to discuss was certainly, in part, the cause. What I did struggle with is how differently people were treating me if they knew and if it comes up in conversation now, continue to, even on this site.

I came off the tablets last year some time before Christmas and have managed well, although I have been left with something of a butterfly personality and I'm really struggling to settle on anything at the moment, which is unlike me.

The weird thing is that this year has probably been the worst fand certainly by far the toughest for me in respect of difficult events and lifestyle type struggles, but I have been able to get my coping mechanism back in order.

It's good to hear success stories, so crack and make it work! Sorry for the hijack!

Pib

ganstey

Settler
Hi All,

Thought it was about time I updated you, as I've not been that active on here recently.

Over Christmas I had a long think about things, and decided that I needed to make change happen. So I took out an advert in the paper offering to help people set up their PCs/TVs/DVD players etc. I decided to run the advert for 10 weeks to see if there was a market for that sort of thing. Well, there obviously is, as I've been busy every week since mid Jan. I've also done some local advertising and put the word about that I can also do handyman-type jobs and garden maintenance, fencing, decking, and so on.

During the middle of Feb I was busy everyday weekend day, and every evening that I'm not teaching over a 2 1/2 week period. So then I had to decide what to do as I knew I couldn't physically sustain that lifestyle for very long.

Having discussed it with close friends and had a long hard think about it, I've now decided that that's what I'm going to do full time. I've got a business name (GPA Services - www.gpaservices.co.uk), and am in the process of sorting out insurance, bank account, and so on. I handed in my notice at work last week, and will be leaving full-time employment on 28th March. Then I'll be on my own and it'll be down to me. I'm fully aware that's its going to be tough to start with, and maybe for the first year, but its a gamble I really had to take.

I'm not sure whether it means I'll be on here more or less often :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you guys who have given me moral support during this momentous phase of my life journey. :You_Rock_

And if any of you in the Wiltshire area need any jobs doing...:D

G

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Well done mate, I don't have the courage to do the same myself but everyone I know that has made a similar decision is happier if not any richer because of it, and at the end of the day it's your happiness that's more important.

All the best with your (ad)venture, hope to see you around the communal fire with tales and updates on how you're getting on.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Cool, sounds like you have tested the market well, I like to think I am not afraid of risks but like to calculate the risks first. Very sensible and I am sure it will work out well for you in the long run.
Best of luck. One piece of advice, don't sell yourself too cheap...its obviously OK to start out at a reasonable rate particularly when you are starting the business up but as soon as you start getting to the stage where you are getting hassled by not being able to do it all either put your prices up or learn to say no to the stuff that you don't enjoy. Think how much you pay an hour to have your car serviced or your plumbing done.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Well done fella, most impressive. I bet you look in a mirror now and cannot wipe that daft grin off your face! Be happy, you've earned it and you deserve it!

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Well done fella,
I did the same last Sept and quit a £35k job after 17 years with the same firm. Timing was poor, since Mrs has just started 3 year full time course. I'm now working part-time in the same field, but only doing stuff I like, and you know what? I should've done this years ago! OK, we now have about a quarter of the income we had a year ago, but its enough, and we're happy and we got time to spend together.
My wife had breast cancer 5 years ago (successfully treated) and it really does make you re-focus on what is important in life.
My main feeling since making the change is one of self-confidence. The firm I was with had eroded that, made me feel undervalued, unnappreciated. Now, I realise what skills and experience I have and that its now down to me and I'm gonna make it work.
All the best

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Go for it gantsey.
I've been doing my night time job now for just over a year and do one week on, and one week off, and I love it (not the one week on :( ). I'm now officially 'time rich'
I go away regularly sea fishing, walking in the woods, carving, studying plants, photographing, spending time with my lad, reading, camping etc. I'm getting a reasonable wage but it's not that great to be honest considering I work nights, but having said that the job is easy if you can put up with the moaners, whingers and rude people on the telephone.
I don't care about money as long as I can pay the bills, but I consider myself better off than the maggots who squeeze themselves onto the tube or sit in traffic jams, and get stressed about deadlines and meetings every day and earn 50k a year, and are too tired at weekends to do anything and all they have to look forward to is their 2 weeks in Florida or Torremelinos each summer. I don't have a plasma TV or a nice car. I don't even have a car at the moment but my friend who is emigrating to Canada is giving me his free when he goes.
When I walk home on the morning after my last shift of the week, I see the faces of the people walking the opposite way to start their day at work, boy do they look miserable :rolleyes: and I'm grinning like the proverbial moggie from Cheshire. I get a week off every other week to do as I please.................And 26 days a year holiday each year.
It's out there if you want it, whichever it is that you want. :)

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Good luck, I quit my salaried 'safe' job last August to go freelance, I ummed and ah'ed over the decision for years even though the stress of running a dept. and meeting budget and deadline demands was making me very ill. So far it's the best thing I've ever done, sure it gets a bit tight now and then, but I manage to make ends meet.

My two bits of advice, keep receipts for everything imaginable and a good, sensibly priced accountant is well worth the cost if the work starts to snowball.

ganstey

Settler
Thanks guys.

Robin: Pricing is the thing I'm finding hardest at the moment, even though I regularly do quotes in my current job. I charge by the hour, with a premium for the first hour of each visit. I started with what I thought people would be prepared to pay, but then when I did the sums to include travel costs etc., realised I wasn't making much at all. So I increased the price, and I've not had a single person question it.

Jedadiah: At the moment its more of a look of sheer terror :eek: However, I'm sure that in a month or two it will turn into :D :D

Hopefully it will give me the time and space to do more of what I want, which includes getting to a few meets. So I hope to see you all soon. You'll be able to spot me, I'll be the one with the smug grin on his face :lmao:

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE