Change of career

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi Ganstey heres my ten bobs worth.

You say you have a mortgage to pay well heres a solution rent out your home.

By renting out you get someone else to pay your motgage for you.

Secondly move down to your woods and set up camp and live like we humans are suppose to live like.

To quote Tyler Durgan

If you need some cash down there have a word with your local farmers,always cash to be made helping out farmers.

Failing that the pubs down cornwall always need a barman.

For all the cybercrafters who will now drone on about the laws on living on your own land i say grow a set of danglers.

I live by the law of the jungle and also the law of if theres no one around then i live by my law.

I bet that Shackleton didn't worry about laws,thats why our country is full of she male gender benders scared of there own shadow.

Good lucky Ganstey and i hope that you do it mate,don't become another cybercrafter too scared to get his woodlore knife/swanndri dirty.

:D Yeehar, well said!:D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I bet that Shackleton didn't worry about laws,thats why our country is full of she male gender benders scared of there own shadow.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Priceless. My art lecturer used to refer to "women of both sexes" :D Then I went on to a college, within 24 hours I'd undergone a stern induction lecture by militant feminist NUS official's informing me I was bad, very bad because I was A/ white B/ Male. I never really got on in college (or the art world later on for that matter) simply because I was one of the few who dared to defy this dogma and basically ignored it just got stigmatised and stereotyped as a sexist/racist/neo nazi/misfit etc etc from time to time :lmao: But sadly I cant think of many area's of life in the modern UK that arent "feminised" nowaday's :D

:D Yeehar, well said!:D

Thanks,needed to vent the old spleen abit:D

Good luck to you Ganstey,many people here will be jealous of your situation.

You are at a crossroads,one way leads to a lifetime of servetude as just another worker drone in sector B and the other direction leads to a life of uncertainty but absolute freedom.

The reason why our western democracies are in decay is because we have turned our backs on our natural instincts.One only has to look at the Hadza,Saami's,Abo's,Inuits,Nenets et cetera to see that we have got it all wrong.

In their worlds the women forage and the men hunt and no one talks about feminism or sexism or political correctness.

Yeah their worlds are not ideal but at least they do not die slumped over a desk working as a corporate ***** for a multinational conglomorate.

At least they are not upto their eyeballs in debt paying off the latest merc or a plazma screen TV.

Shed those self imposed shackles and again good luck!

p.s. Ganstey you already know what to do,follow your heart and do not listen to the poo pooing cybercrafters

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
First of all good luck with what ever you decide.

I have a slightly different take, perhaps.

I've felt exactly the same as you. Now I've not told anyone this here, but I allowed myself to be put on antidepressants in the summer of 2006. I say allowed, because I felt and still feel less of a person for it.

Now I've tried to break away from what I've been doing for the past 10 years, however, partly money and responsibilities and in no small part myself has stopped me.

So I've taken a new approach. This time last year I came of the med's that was a little tougher than I'd expected. But more importantly I've thrown myself in to a course via work to become qualified in the field I work. It's going to take time, but the ultimate aim is that my earnings will increase significantly, the qualification will allow my family to emigrate if we decide to and if we stay here I'm hoping I can build my own forge and perhaps even buy my own wood!

However, that's not to say if something came along tomorrow I would seriously consider taking it up! I'm trying to stay a more fluid than I've been in the past, if that makes sense.

What ever your dream find away fella, good luck!

Pib

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Well said Pib, and I agree with Greg, well done for being upfront about it. It isn't something to be ashamed of, it's just a phase that many of us go through at one time or another. I'm going through it now, though I guess you could also call it mid life crisis too :p

Gangsty, don't feel pressured to make that jump if you aren't ready for it. You can try and prepare some sort of safety net first. Chances are that your company rely on you more than they either realise or are prepared to tell you. If you are going to leave anyway, then it's worth exploring your exit strategies. I'm currently waiting to be pushed rather than jumping from my job so that I can cash in on what redundancy I can squeeze out of them (though the statutory amounts are so low as to almost not being worth bothering with.) If you are just going to resign then talk to your boss(es) and tell them. You've nothing to lose by giving them an ultimatum once you've decided that you are going if nothing changes. It might well be they will cut you some of the slack you need rather than lose you. However, speaking as someone who has been a boss, no one, and I mean no one is irreplaceable. I've had people who were cocky because they thought we couldn't get rid of them. They found out just how wrong they were. But I'd be willing to compromise rather than lose someone I didn't want to lose, or where it was going to be a pain in the backside to replace them.

I've sat pretty for the last year or two while I've gone through one crisis or another, and now it's time to me to decided what and when I'm going to do next. Personally I think I'm going to stay there because I enjoy it and there are very few people to tell me what to do. But I'm going to start to make some steps.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Ganstey - go contracting if your IT skills are good. Its easy enough to make enough money to live on in six months and then do whatever you like for the next six. In the six "free" months, you are ready set up with a company etc. to do any self employed work etc. that comes your way - if you make reasonable money, you never take another IT contract. If you run short of funds, so a contract for another six months and try again!

Red

I'm an It contractor. I don't know of any people who can do this - after you get paid for 6 months it's hard to take 6 month's off!!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not hard for me or BB Dave - I finished in May and started back to work in November, BB the same. I guess it depends if you "live to your means" or "earn to your needs" ;)

Red

ganstey

Settler
Crikey guys, thanks for all the ideas, opinions, and support. I'll try and cover what's been asked/suggested, but if I miss something then its an oversight rather than me dismissing what's been said.

Re: health. I've seen my GP several times over the years and his solution has always been medication. This to me smacks of just masking the symptoms rather than solving the problem. I see 3 different holistic healers (chiropractor, acupuncture, TCM nutritionist), and have done for a couple of years or more. They all say that the only way to 'get better' is to have a change of lifestyle.

I am willing to retrain on a full or part time basis, but this (adult education) is an area I know very little about. I'm going to try and find out more about how it works and what courses might be available through the local colleges.

The problems at work have been brewing for a few years now. I've tried talking to TPTB but they've dismissed it as me trying to make trouble, or demanding an inappropriate amount of support for my position. As an example, I'm still waiting for a date to be fixed for my annual review, which was due in June! There is no signs of any redundancy in the foreseeable future, as the company is doing well and is currently recruiting.

My dream would be to live and work in my wood, but I don't see this happening any time soon. There are all sorts of restrictions on the land (TPO/conservation area/etc.) and due to the antics of my woodland neighbours they are being policed very closely by the local council. The best I can hope for at the moment is to find somewhere within walking/cycling distance, but given the location I think this is unlikely without a big cash injection. I am already investigating properties within reasonable commuting distance from the wood, and will continue to do this.

There is a dairy farm very close to the wood, and I get on well with the farmer and his family (they are supportive of the ideas I have for restoring the wood). So I guess there is always the chance of a bit of casual labour work there.

I will be organising a small meet in my wood next year. I'll have to be a bit careful about numbers to avoid worrying the locals that we're having a 'rave with knives'. Then you'll all have a chance to share my little bit of heaven.

My thoughts at the moment are that I just need a complete break from things to get my head straight. Having thought about what was posted yesterday, I'm coming round to the idea that I do just need to take the leap. That will then force me to make things happen, rather than just sitting here feeling sorry for myself.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed so far. It is helping me to start straighten things out in my own mind.

Cheers
G

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"I don't have the confidence to just make a leap into the unknown. I need to have an idea as to where I'm heading."

Yep I can understand that its scary having said that you don't need to know the destination, just take that first step and have faith that it will turn out OK. People do not starve in this country...you will be OK, Like Red says the single most important thing is cut your expenditure, learn to live cheap, then everything becomes possible. How much do you want this? would you live in a caravan on your neigbours dairy farm for a couple of years? Rural comunities need IT help too, get down there put an add in the parish magazine.

"I'm coming round to the idea that I do just need to take the leap"

Just the first step...thats the most difficult of all if you can do that you can cope with anything else that comes. Good luck.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I gave up on computers at an early age after a short career as a programmer/operator in an comercial bank - it took 1 year to convince me that I was not cut out for an orafice job!
These days I write for a couple of mags and work as an outdoor skills instructor and relife support worker for Mencap, all on a freelance basis.
Support work is an area that always seems to be crying out for people and gives "on the job training".
The pay is rubbish but the job satisfaction makes up for that!
Luckily our house is paid for, my wife has a secretarial job 4 days a week and apart from council tax insurances etc we have few overheads.
I deliberately refuse to work hard enough to pay income tax - I refuse to pay for the mis-government we endure - but we live a pretty well if not with many "luxuries".
I have not had a holiday in 20 plus years - but I get paid to lead expeds in various forign parts!
Money is essential in this life - but not as much as you might imagine!
Go for it!:)

ganstey

Settler
I think I do live a reasonably frugal life - I don't smoke, rarely drink alcohol, most of my pasttimes don't need lots of money to enjoy (except bushcrafting :D ). I've been on a few big holidays recently, but they are exceptions. Indeed, this year I couldn't actually think of anywhere I wanted to go, so I didn't. The only 'holiday' I do go on each year is a TaiJi summer camp, and that is paid for by the teaching that I do. I'm trying to increase the income from those lessons by getting more students, but for whatever reason that's not happening at the moment. Still, it pays for the hire of the hall and my summer study week, so I'm happy with that.

I have accumulated huge amounts of 'stuff' over the years, and hopefully I could kill 2 birds with one stone by getting rid of a lot of it on eBay. I like to think I could live happily in a caravan, but apart from summer holidays in a caravan park I've never tried it. But its definitely something I would consider. I guess if it was a case of having to, then I would, and I might even enjoy it.

I know a couple of people who, like John, work with handicapped people. They too say that they earn barely enough to live on, but the job satisfaction is amazing. I'm not sure I'm cut out for exactly that, but I do have a real sense that I need to give something back to society/the planet. I'm moving further and further away from a materialistic point of view, which I admit I've had in the past.

I'll be having a chat this evening with a mate of mine who has been unemployed/self-employed for a number of years about the practicalities of what I want to do, and we'll also have a chat about some of the topics raised here. I suspect I'll end up with more questions than answers, but that's no bad thing.

G

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The best of luck to you Ganstey. I am also 'trapped' in an IT job - I have a family to support and the money is good so it's a case of keep going with the head down. I applied to the FC for what would be an ideal job but would mean a drastic cut in pay and probably an increase in hours and I wondered if I am being selfish by denying them not only the money but also time. I think yes is the answer and so wasn't too gutted when I didn't hear back from them about it but was glad that I had the balls to post the application forms off and got real satisfaction just from doing that.

I am still looking for a change and have hopes yet which my wife is fully supportive of and I'm waiting to hear about something in the new year that may be just the ticket.

I got immense satisfaction from the bushmeet that I set up recently so if you can do something similar with your wood then that will provide a great vent for your frustration.

Just keep looking and grab it when it comes mate.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
December 14th, 2001 was my "day of decision". I quit my "job" of 25 years working in the computer department of a small local college. When I quit, I had worked my way up to being a programmer/analyst. (Old main-frame computers - not these newfangled "infernal machines" that sit on top of a desk!) That next year I was going to earn $15 per hour! But only because I had been there 25 years! They split my old job up between a new person and extra work for two other employees. That new person started at almost $25 per hour with very little experience! So much for that small friendly family college caring about "their people".

I left with no job to go to, and some large debt. It was quite a shock! But I'd been living very frugally for years, and i just shifted to working as a blacksmith and living history interpreter. Getting by these past years has been ... rough. I'm usually pretty broke. But I'm in a WHOLE LOT BETTER STATE OF MIND nowdays! That stress/worry of that old job was killing me! Nowdays, I work pretty much when I want to, play whenever I feel like it, and do what I need to "scrape up another tomorrow" - as that old Country song goes.

I currently live on less than $400 usd a month. The only vacations I take are part of attending 18th century living history events. But I am also shed of SWMBO, any "dependants", and that old mortgage. There's usually little funds available, but I require very little to get by. So life it pretty good.

And I'm in a WHOLE LOT BETTE STATE OF MIND/CONTENTMENT nowdays.

Job opportunities are fairly limited in my area - working the fast-food joints, the large department store, or the factory farms. To do any better, I would have to leave this pretty rural backwater, and move to one of those ... (spits into the dirt) ... cities ... (spits into the dirt again).

So life goes on, and I have reached a pretty good level of personal satisfaction. But those first few days/weeks/years after quitting that old job where ... rough. And it took a long time to finally reach that decision. But the "boss" kept making it easier and easier every day. I could never live up to "her expectations" - nor be like her "model employee" friend. But she never expected me to just quit. She, and many at the college still won't talk to me after all thes years. They feel I "betrayed them". So it goes. Ain't my problem anymore. I only feel sorry for the other people I worked with who had to do all the extra work.

Everybody's situation is different. And their expectations of what to do in the future. Just try to balance out what you would be leaving against what you might be gaining. And your mental health is a large part of that! But also be realistic about possible opportunities in rural areas or smaller communities. They are few and far between! And the economic scale is usually greatly reduced. A GOOD job in this area is $8 usd per hour with few benefits. You have to be pretty frugal and creative to make a go with that - especially with a family.

I personally haven't had any regrets about quitting. It's been rough, but the mental benefits far outweigh those. And that "trevail" has made me stronger. I know far more about what I can and cannot do now.

Just my humble rambling thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
If you are running that process just now Gangsty, have a look at this thread. I've linked to this Board before and while it's not bushcraft related, it is all about people trying to Live Below Their Means, and in the past I found it very good. Not that I ever managed it myself... :rolleyes:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
That's true. I don't have the confidence to just make a leap into the unknown. I need to have an idea as to where I'm heading.

Others have said before that I'm making excuses and should make the leap. However, no matter how hard I think about it, I just can't bring myself to do it. I have a clear idea of what I don't want to do, but only vague ideas as to what I do want to do.

G

I've already PM'd about my experiences of a comparable situation, but if you can't force yourself to make the leap while you are still reasonably able, then you may just keep going down and down until you are forced to do something - and at that stage, there is a much bigger barrier to overcome to get yourself back on your feet. Then again, it may be that someone who can't bring themselves to make the leap needs something dramatic to happen in order to force them into action.

Whatever happens, I can say that if you are able to rid yourself of the shackles of an insensitive and uncaring employer, then there is a very good chance that you will be rewarded with a much better quality of life. You will probably come out of it a markedly changed person, but almost certainly a better one.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE