Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
"Gasp...gasp... I made it. Home safe. It can't get me here. I think I shook it off back there... it came out of nowhere... so fast. It was... it was horrible...those teeth, the smell of its breath... if the dog hadn't defended me I... my god, the dog. The poor dog. When the lead went slack I just ran... I could hear it behind me... I've never run so fast...ran till I couldn't hear it any more. Lost it about half a mile back. Got to tell someone... describe it, warn people...

What's that? The window! My god, no! Get back! Get away! Noooooooooo........"

Hahaha! That had me cracking up :D

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Watch out for Gnombies...

gnombies.jpg

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i have to say, as the plot thickens 'fruit-loop' is a term i seem to hear in my mind in regard to stachio-man. those are some serious earth works going on. very strange, proactive person seeking refuge. is the behaviour seasonal do you think? is it a work all summer to create the hides, to be easily concealed in the winter? thats how it seems to come across, so who is he hiding from during the winter? or does he inhabit somewhere else in summer months and prepares a second site, via multiple visits, then what does he use it for? bloody nora many questions! this isn't someone very knowledgable who's on the run is it? why would yo need to hide, and operate stealthily in a area that is unused? and why does he eat stachios in the woods? so he's either nicking them or he has some kind of income?

'retired/invalided ex-spec-ops, fort bragg trained commando, long hair, big muscles, interests include hiding, hunting and eating things that would make a billy goat puke, seeks remote hideaway, bare earth walls and plenty of zen in the air to relax those battle weary muscles'
location location loaction!

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i think i know who this guy is.....

2925844_std.jpg

in all seriousness though, it is very weird. theres a local hobo who lives in one of the woods i reguarly camp in, he wears no shoes, but has hardly any forest skills, he just begs and goes back to his tent. this guy seems very adapt at what he is doing, it sounds alot like Tom browns stuff, walking around the woods naked and caked in mud ect.

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
On my last trip to scotland i was sleeping under a tarp, together with a friend. Big winds that night. In the middle of the night I wake up of the sound of my friend waking up (im a light sleeper), he is totaly night blind an i see him looking at me and back out again. Bob! There's something outside! With the beam of confident from my Fenix LD10, and my F1 in reach I shone out from under the tarp and there it was: A big bad twig that had broken of the tree and made some noise. he was asleap before my nightsight return enought to enjoy the stars.

long story short: keep a light at hand, when in doubt 100 lumens of pure monster vanishing power!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
A few stories on here have been real pant browners and clearly were unexplainably terrifying but I've had a few creepy nights out in the past..

One time I was walking with two friends at night through an alley way where several people have been stabbed and I was lagging behind, out of no where I got poked in the chest by what felt like a hard finger...and there was nothing in front of me but my buddies who were about 2 meters infront and I had an indent on my jacket. I soon jogged up to their pace haha.

Another time I was with one friend sat around a small camp fire at about midnight in our favourite woods cooking spot and started to hear some kind of beasty stalking around in the dense brambles around us..me having drank a few cans and naturaly being a paranoid wimp started to freak a little bit 'dave..dave! what the .... is that??' next thing to happen as the noises got closer ..about 3 meters away our fire just went out.. I was bricking it! after my friend started to freak out I quickly decided it was best to grab the hatchet for my self and climb the nearest tree shouting untill the noises stopped and my friend got the fire started again.

That just goes to show how silly we (Me) can be at times when there is really nothing to worry about.

The other times where it can't be explained is just disgustingly horrific..

I've tried ways to make myself less scared of the darkness by going out at night along the river banks and woods where dog walkers are and trying to remian hidden but while trying to keep up with them, to see how easy it is to be unseen.

The scariest thing other random soul hungry ghosts that want to finger your tent are the sick sorts that want to stab you repeatedly while you sleep in your hammock.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
"I've tried ways to make myself less scared of the darkness by going out at night along the river banks and woods where dog walkers are and trying to remian hidden but while trying to keep up with them, to see how easy it is to be unseen."

Now the dog walkers know why they feel they are being followed.... Carry on doing that and good chance you'll feel yer collar getting felt! hahaha

KP

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha I don't mean stalking them..just following the rough track in the same direction but unseen. I used to creep around the woods as a kid when no one was around to practice stalking.

I read all the posts today and the statioman part is one of the most interesting things I've read. I read the first 7 pages last night in bed but finished them today and the story is fantastic.

Are there more updates?

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Years ago, I was involved in a live firing exercise in Otterburn. We were blatting away, in the very best artillery CQB style, when we heard loads of shouting and a scream. Obviously, we thought we had managed to shoot some people (which would have been ironic, as we had missed all the targets). So, we checked firing, unloaded and advanced with 1st aid kits ready........nothing, nada, nothing at all. Oh well, it'll be the wind/echoes/us shouting. So we get our bashas up, light up the hexis and get ready to doss down for the night. After a couple of hours...... shouting and a scream! Then again a couple of hours later (I'm getting goose bumps typing this) more shouting and a scream. One of the chaps thought he heard the voice say "Let go!" No-one slept all night. When we got back to the camp we discussed this, and the range officer told us that the previous week 2 guys had been killed in a grenade training accident, when one of the chaps froze and after pulling the pin and just stood there looking at the now live grenade until it blew him and the instructor to pieces!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Years ago, I was involved in a live firing exercise in Otterburn. We were blatting away, in the very best artillery CQB style, when we heard loads of shouting and a scream. Obviously, we thought we had managed to shoot some people (which would have been ironic, as we had missed all the targets). So, we checked firing, unloaded and advanced with 1st aid kits ready........nothing, nada, nothing at all. Oh well, it'll be the wind/echoes/us shouting. So we get our bashas up, light up the hexis and get ready to doss down for the night. After a couple of hours...... shouting and a scream! Then again a couple of hours later (I'm getting goose bumps typing this) more shouting and a scream. One of the chaps thought he heard the voice say "Let go!" No-one slept all night. When we got back to the camp we discussed this, and the range officer told us that the previous week 2 guys had been killed in a grenade training accident, when one of the chaps froze and after pulling the pin and just stood there looking at the now live grenade until it blew him and the instructor to pieces!

Sounds right to me Maggot.

In that things can be 'recorded' by 'nature' in some way.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London

The sceptic in me wonders which year you refer to? Obviously a fatality at Otterburn ranges can be validated? Sounds incredible, I just wonder if true?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The sceptic in me wonders which year you refer to? Obviously a fatality at Otterburn ranges can be validated? Sounds incredible, I just wonder if true?

Unfortunately accidents like this are not uncommon. Mid Nineties I had to pick up the pieces caused by such an accident.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Unfortunately accidents like this are not uncommon. Mid Nineties I had to pick up the pieces caused by such an accident.

I do not intimate the accident itself is incredible, I suggest that the incident can be validated if further detail is provided.

The dit is so sketchy it could easily be a soldiers myth, which leads me to think: if true (and can be validated), this is an incredible story.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I do not intimate the accident itself is incredible, I suggest that the incident can be validated if further detail is provided.

The dit is so sketchy it could easily be a soldiers myth, which leads me to think: if true (and can be validated), this is an incredible story.

Possibly not, incidents like that normally fall within the remit of 'non disclosure'. Death would have been recorded publicly within the broad umbrella of 'accidental death during training excercise'. Further details may not be available.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Plenty of things covered by the media that doesn't tell the full story.
Families won't get all the facts at times and for good reason.( well according to some ).

Please don't anyone start a conspiricy (sp) debate.
Ta.

Last edited:

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
I do not ask for details of the accident victims, Maggot would not know this in any case.

I ask for the year this incident took place and any witnesses to the screams and voices heard?

If true, an incredible story, however I suspect that it is a second or third hand Army myth which has been embellished over the years. Folklore.

No conspiracy theory, no disclosure required, just simple facts from the story-teller - if challenged on any of my stories I am always happy to provide that level of information.

Come on chaps, you can't seriously make a claim like Maggot's and not expect anyone to be inquisitive?

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
strange turn of phrase for a tragic incident?

You are right, it is because I do not believe most of what I read on this forum.

I am a sceptic, I am open to evidence, I cannot be spoon-fed myth and embellished yarns without questioning or challenging the originator, my sincere apologies for any offence caused but it is the way I am.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE