Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DutchWalker

Apr 25, 2011
Netherlands
2) Military observation unit in a fox hole complete with communication equipment of a non friendly government. In a bit of wasteland bush alongside railtracks.

Do tell ! But I wonder if any seriously compromising equipment is left in a foxhole and not a secured compound or bunker.

Normally I find woods peaceful and I can relax in them better than anywhere, but there are occasions when I've quickly left an area because I felt very 'unwelcome' it's an uneasy feeling and specific only to woodland for me! Anyone else experienced it or am a loon?

Often you get this tingly feeling when you are being watched. You feel uneasy, hairs on the back of your neck stand up etc.
This and the psyche can explain most, if not all, of these experiences. But I still sometimes think there's more to it than just that.

finite

Apr 28, 2011
Sydney
www.bushcraftoz.com
Great thread this one. Just finished reading the whole thing. Very cool to see all the theories and John maintaining the entire time it was a human hand. Well incredible that you camped on top of his hole. Look forward to more updates.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
OK, OK... I went back there today in stealth mode and caught some major works going on. There are a couple of smaller pits that can conceal supplies and a large person sitting down..

02May2011.jpg

I could hear chopping not far off so decided to make a hasty exit in the opposite direction. Really hard not to leave sign as the vegetation is growing at a scary rate of over a foot every week. I pushed further into an area I don't usually go into after sticking to a badger path so not to leave sign and found this...

02May20112.jpg

02May20113.jpg

It's big and very deep. The other side has a big recess cut into it, but I couldn't really get any pictures as the soil was still fresh and loose and would have left too much sign. He's certainly doing a major amount of work there. Now is the best time for him as the growing vegetation will soon cover anything completely.

Here's another example of the amount of work going on....

Looks like a tree.... it is, I know....

02May20114.jpg

That's what I thought... but not just a tree....

Pull back and part the branches and you have....

02May20115.jpg

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I cant believe it! You missed your big oportunity to get one over on 'statio. There lies, right infront of you, his mess tins. I would have left a nice big brown prezzie for him to ponder over untill your next visit. That'll show him how exposed he is.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I cant believe it! You missed your big oportunity to get one over on 'statio. There lies, right infront of you, his mess tins. I would have left a nice big brown prezzie for him to ponder over untill your next visit. That'll show him how exposed he is.

Oh I did much better than that. I nicked a packet of his pistachios. He gets them from Sainsbury's. I ate them by the side of the river with a nice bottle of cider on the way back.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'd love to see his face when he finds one missing (there were two, the other was open). That's why I was determined to leave no sign for him. Let's see how he likes it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That looks like a grave to me, watch your back out there Jon :)

It goes right under the side nearest to me, I just couldn't get any further in to take a picture as I would have left prints. He has already put the roof on that part (I was standing on it). I did lean over with my camera at arms length, but just managed to get the wrong angle. It was that point I could hear the chopping.

That hole was about nine feet deep.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Very interesting. I'm subscribed to this thread and keep reading through the replies, this is curious indeed. So do you actually believe someone is creeping around there and digging just for the purpose of living in the woods or pretending to be a sneaky hobbit? I just can't understand it. He can't live there surely?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Very interesting. I'm subscribed to this thread and keep reading through the replies, this is curious indeed. So do you actually believe someone is creeping around there and digging just for the purpose of living in the woods or pretending to be a sneaky hobbit? I just can't understand it. He can't live there surely?

No he doesn't live there. We believe that he is a follower of Tom Browns teachings. The Hunted film was based on Tom Brown, and he was technical advisor. He is an extreme outdoorsy/tracker type. All the evidence so far points strongly towards this.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
No he doesn't live there. We believe that he is a follower of Tom Browns teachings. The Hunted film was based on Tom Brown, and he was technical advisor. He is an extreme outdoorsy/tracker type. All the evidence so far points strongly towards this.

Ah yes I remember now from reading through the previous posts. What a strange thing to do, not tracking I mean, but digging pits and holes and sitting around in them is a little odd. I wonder if he is doing it from a survival or tracking point of view, or if he just likes digging holes and scaring people. Thanks for uploading the pictures. One further question though, in that picture where his mess tins are clearly visible, what on earth did he do with all the spoil from digging that pit? Have you seen any footprints that would indicate he walks around barefoot or shoe shod?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE