Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schism

Jan 8, 2011
Kernow
Not sure if i missed this but where are the pits in relation to your camp that night?
such an odd story that just keeps getting better i'm almost tempted to come down and look around myself

I'm guessing there was no sign due to the water level but could you leave some sign traps around to see if anything gets moved or disturbed?

if you ever need help or a buddy for the night give me a shout mate would love to get up and see for myself

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not sure if i missed this but where are the pits in relation to your camp that night?
such an odd story that just keeps getting better i'm almost tempted to come down and look around myself

Sorry, my head is so stupid sometimes. This pit is right where my tent was that night. It must have had the undergrowth growing on top of whatever he was using as a roof. It's dug into teh bank and the entrance is about the same size as a large badger sett. No doubt this has balsam growing all over it in the Summer. he is going to go nuts when he sees whats happened to it all.

17Jan201115.jpg

I'm going up there tomorrow night to watch the otters.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Hmm, creepy stories round the campfire time.

I'm pretty much 100% behind the "...you're the scariest thing out there..." credo as it was taught to me. In the UK at least all humankind usually has to worry about is more human kind. Though remember dogs and cows don't mix, and deer get pretty wound up during the rut... enough to have a go and finish you off if they want too. ( Plus I knew a man who was pretty successfully eviscerated by a hare, but to be fair he had shot it first).

On to my campfire story. A number of years back I was camped at Loch Etchachan below Creagan a' Choire Etchachan ( it's right next to Beinn MacDuibu or Ben Macdui as its better known).

I set up my tent in the early evening on a slight rise near the water, good views all around, stunningly clear windless day. Cooked my tea over the Coleman multi-fuel I used those days, ate, tidied up and decided to relax for a while look at the view and read my book. ( You can do both, it's called savouring the time.

Decided to have an early night as it was a long walk out the next day. Warm night so lying on my sleeping bag reading 'till I doze off. I hear something hit the fly of my tent.

Brush it off as an insect or bird poo. Go back to my book. A couple of minutes later I hear it again. Put book down, can't see bird poo through the fly? It happens again, off to my side. Out of the tent... Is someone playing silly buggers? Look around, have a good 360 view of my surroundings for a good few hundred yards, and there's water covering a good proportion of that. I'm pretty good at finding hiding folk, worked with gamekeepers, have hunted, poached the odd rabbit. Pretty sure no-ones about, the only other folk I saw that day were this morning heading the other way in the distance.

Go back to the tent, not been in more than 10 minutes when it happens again... burst from the tent... Something definitely hit the tent. Nothing. Then remember stories of corvids dropping stones on things. Look up, not a sausage... no birds at all, Nada. Feeling slightly uneasy I head back inside as it's getting to-wards dusk.

Lie there, book tossed aside, waiting. And it seems not in vain, something small hits the left hand side of the tent, as I sit staring at nylon another thing hits the fly behind me. Now I'm officially concerned, burst out of tent to be confronted by....

Nothing. Think to myself whilst looking for non existent birds, maybe it's a loose guy line snapping about. No they're all secure and tight, and there's no wind anyway. Have a walk around to make sure no-one is playing silly persons and rather worriedly get back in the tent.

I'll shorten this down somewhat as pretty suffice to say, I spent the whole night awake, awake and bolt upright in the middle of my tent, facing the door ( why the door I don't know in a tent as it's all pretty flimsy) and I'm ashamed to say my knife in my hands. Anything coming through that door was getting it. The reason for this, for the whole night, and I do mean the whole night, sometimes every couple of minutes, sometimes for suspenses sake it would be up to a 15 minute gap, though sometimes in very quick succession, something would hit the fly of the tent, and usually from a different direction from the last.

I thought about making a bolt for it, but the nearest place is about 10 miles as the non-existing crows fly. And in the tent I had that childish head under the blanket feeling of safety.

As soon as it grew light enough ( everything was packed up way earlier believe me ) I grabbed my pack, scooted outside and collapsed the tent after a quick look 'round. While taking the tent down I noticed that there was an outline of little rocks like a mini drystane dyke in the shape of the tent. Something had been pitching pebbles at me all night after all. Tent was thrown into the sack and off I trotted at a much higher speed than is usually achieved.

No I've spent huge amounts of time living in the woods whilst doing research and just bumming around. I actually like the dark as I feel I've pretty good night vision and my other senses are pretty good. Not really scared of the thought of ghosts and boogles as well they aren't there to hurt you. But I was freaked that night, if it was a person, I'm sure I would've heard them shift position, and would they stay there all night?

Also some of the Scots may be thinking Ben Macdui!!! Well I hadn't been on there that day, and where I was, though close isn't really Ben Macdui - and I hadn't really heard of the Gray man at that point.

I still love being out at night, yeah sometimes things make me jump, but that happens during the day too. Just never been able to explain that night, and never camped near there since.

Cheers
Goatboy.

Ben Macdui you say ! u wont be the first to have a strange story from the Haunted mountain ,stories of hillwalkers tearing off the mountain at breakneck speed.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
It can be scarier in the open (a bivvy or dossbag) than in it is inside a tent or under a tarp. Much more exposed (pyschologically at least) outside IMO. A hooped bivvi bag may or similar help? Dosent do anything for the imagination tho.....:)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It can be scarier in the open (a bivvy or dossbag) than in it is inside a tent or under a tarp. Much more exposed (pyschologically at least) outside IMO. A hooped bivvi bag may or similar help? Dosent do anything for the imagination tho.....:)

I think it's much scarier being enclosed.
I like to look about when I hear something,that way you get to see the wildlife around you too.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think it's much scarier being enclosed.
I like to look about when I hear something,that way you get to see the wildlife around you too.

Agreed. If I could see what it was that was out there, then I wouldn't have been sat there for ages trying to muster up the courage to face whatever unknown it was. Being sealed in a thin nylon tent with something big outside is not re-assuring at all.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
The most scared I've been was sleeping in a hut somewhere on the west coast of NZ a good day and a bits walk from the nearest road. I was on my own and it got dark earlier than I expected :doh:
I set up a couple of candles and read a book that someone had left behind (to light fires with) and of course it was a book of ghost stories :rolleyes: I didn't have anything else and once I started reading I got drawn in. I was sure I knew the story and could see it all a bit vividly.
Anyway after a bit I put the book down blew out the candles climbed into my sleeping bag an lay down.
Then the noises started.
Finger nails on the tin roof.
I sat up trying to work out logically what it could be.
Must be the local wildlife.
Lay down again.
Clawing noises heading up to the apex of the roof, footsteps outside. (Oh boy, this was going to be a long night)
The whatever was on the roof started trying to lever the ridgeline off.
I kept telling myself I was imagining it, and that it was all perfectly normal.
After a while I realised I need a pee, try as I might I knew I couldn't put it off.
I sat up and pulled on my boots and grabed my torch and my knife.
I opened the door and was confronted by dozens of pairs of eyes shining green in the torch light.
They didn't look to tall so I took a step forward and made some sort of noise. The nearest one ran at me, I amazed myself by standing my ground. It stopped, but it was close enough for me to see that it was a possum. There were dozens of them, a couple on the roof trying to remove it.

The following night after a day walk I returned to the hut to find three big burly hunters who had been in the 'bush' for three weeks had moved in. All things considered I was surprised I was less worried that night.

Johnathan, I found two pits similar to your ones in the woods near me a couple of years ago. The bigger on was covered over with an old tarp. I meant to go back a stake them out, but didn't get around to it. I was over that way last month and the tarp had gone.
I wonder if there are more of these things going on that we might suspect.
Don't think I'd fancy camiping there though.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
About 20 years ago when i was a lot fitter i spent all my spare time backpacking round scotland.
One May i was spending a night at Ben Alder bothy on the shore of loch Ericht .
On my own and after a long day walking i went to bed about 10ish . Before bed i read the bothy visitor book ,
it mentioned the bothy mouse and the ghost .

I slept for a while but was suddenly woken by the sound of the door to the other room closing , i didn't dare get up and was soon sleeping again .
early the next morning i woke with a start to the voice of an old man asking if i wanted a cuppa , he was standing at the door with a steaming kettle in his hand .

Turns out he was a retired headmaster from about a mile from my house in Edinburgh , he was 76 and doing his second round of the munroes.
He had been late walking down from Dalwhinnie and got in about midnight , came in saw me sleeping and went to the other room.

I left about 8-30 and he was about halfway up ben alder by then . I'm 43 now and wish i had his get up an go.

Craig..............

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
It deffinately makes no sense as to how it got there, it was propped up in a tree well away from the bank when I left it. :-O

You could be right maybe he used it as some kind of walking stick then an ice axe to help him get out of the water.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You would have to be in the water to put it where it is. It's been put into the bank a fair distance too, more than half of the oars total length.

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
Is there anything to suggest that he may use some form of raft down the river/stream? Perhaps it also works as a mooring point, the bank looks high enough that he could dart down there and stick his head down and float off, without anyone knowing where he went to.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is there anything to suggest that he may use some form of raft down the river/stream? Perhaps it also works as a mooring point, the bank looks high enough that he could dart down there and stick his head down and float off, without anyone knowing where he went to.

No. it's too shallow in some places to use a boat or raft.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's not in the best place for fish. They are all in the deeper parts. It's right by my sitting spot. Not the best place to get in and out either so it may be an aid to get out. Certainly seems to have been there a while looking at it. I couldn't even get to it today as it was all under water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE