Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's ME!! But how do I catch me out? Food for thought... or not.. maybe. Smaller wider foot than me, but I'm sure I could have faked that. Photographic evidence assures I never imagined it surely. I'm soooooooo confuzzled......

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Thank God! It's not me at all...

io3sb8.jpg

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
What a fantastic thread, in particular ref to JD's post.

Ill put my coppers head on if I may and offer a few observations.

1) If what your saying is true JD, then ive no doubt that the cause is human, wether it be a prankster or someone that has been living a little too long in the woods.

2) The sign that you have found, where exactly was it in relation to where your tent was and how soon after the incident was it found ?

3) How far away from your tent is the nearest cover, enough to hide a man i mean ? I ask this because could he have hidden himself and used something on a long stick to scrape your tent with.
( This would sound logical if there was no approach sounds heard and no sign close by around your tent )

4) The pistachios are intruiging. Not knowing what the shelf life is of a bag of pistachios, if they last forever then ' he ' has obviously took them in with him when he started. If not then he is getting them from somewhere. Are there any shops nearby. I would be asking at these shops if they have had anyone that appears a little out of the ordinary in buying supplies. If ' he ' is not actually living in the woods then he could of course be getting them from anywhere.

5) How far away is the nearest habitation ?

6) Maybe an e mail to Ian Maxwell at Shadowhawk would interest him enough to come along and offer his skills.

7) Do you know anybody in a mountain rescue team ? Im thinking if you do then ask if one of their SARDA dogs fancy a little exercise.

Following this thread with much excitement

Paul

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The sign was found a few weeks afterwards and has been consistant with the person being a regular for the last two years. At least two disused barrows were there before I first camped.

The nearest cover is about four metres away, he could well of used a stick with smaller branches sprouting at the end that gave the appearance of fingers.. good call, don't know why none of us thought of that before. I'd be more inclined to think it was a collapsable rod or something rigged to do just that rather than a branch though, as that would be more cumbersome and heavy when retracting quickly.

The nearest shops are about a mile and a half away.

I'm not really into persuing this person too much, this place is obviously personal to them and they only gave me a bit of a scare, they could have done a lot worse. I'm just intrigued though and want to learn more.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I'm not really into persuing this person too much, this place is obviously personal to them and they only gave me a bit of a scare, they could have done a lot worse. I'm just intrigued though and want to learn more.

Im with you on that one mate, wasnt thinking of persuing him and then having a go, more of a find him and ask him if it was him on that night..and then congratulate him on his skills and then leave him to it.
I bet if you asked in the local shops they would know who he was. With the best skills in the world you need to replen every now and then

Paul

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
First thing - don't watch scary movies or documentaries about the moors panther before going out (especially don't watch Dog Soldiers if you're camping in Scotland).

Get to know what wild animals sound like at night - foxes, deer, and owls can all make very scary noises (does anyone know if there are any DVD's of those noises?).

Try to camp with something solid behind you - a tree or rock or something - it may not do any good but it makes you feel better if nothing can approach from behind.

Don't camp near bubbling streams or gushing rivers - it may sound nice but at night you cannot hear anything alse and that can be scary.

Above all don't allow your mind to dwell on the ugly possible - train yourself to daydream the delights of being out in the wilds whilst you stare at the bushcraft TV.

Cheers,

Broch

I saw Dog Soldiers the other night for the first time, It certainly made me wonder as to what could be out there lol.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
The dark does creep me out sometimes, but only behind me. I get the "it's coming up to get me and if I don't look it won't get me, and I know it's not real but what if I look and it's actually there" feeling. Other times I feel completely at peace and feel nothing but calm.

I wonder if it's us or, at risk of sounding slightly spiritual, the place I'm in. I often think that some places just aren't welcoming at all, the feel of the area is wrong, out of sorts. Other times the area feels like home, even if I've never been there.

+1

Couldnt agree more.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Sorry!

Saw 11 pages and read it as 11 posts!

Give me a while and i will catch up, well, make that a long while

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I saw Dog Soldiers the other night for the first time, It certainly made me wonder as to what could be out there lol.

The thought of meeting a bunch of ham actors with bad NSP drills scares me more than the unknown.

JD at least you know it wasn't me sneaking around with a bamboo frond/elephant grass brushing the fabric of yer tent that night. I'd have been laughing way too hard to stay undiscovered.

Have you asked Ken Dodd's agent/taxman where he was on the night in question?

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thank God! It's not me at all...

You're never alone with schizophrenia mate, and being able to count in hexadecimal is always an advantage.

Should you be found to be both Schizophrenic and Dyslexic, music related therapy should help. Does Xylophone ring any bells?

I'm back...

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hey Liam, missed you mate. Heard you've had the belly-ache and slight sniffles.

I'm glad to be back JD, got broadband sorted out now as wifi was poor for comms. Been really busy on the farm, sister had a tumour removed and I'm just getting over some serious manflu.

It was all that boiled blackpuddin that did for him,oh and the old cavalry sabre wound from his time in the Napoleonic wars.(Dickie sharp eat your heart out!)

Hahahahaa, Sharpe was my batman you know.

Rumi

Forager
I have been following this thread with some interest. I recently looked into what seemed to be a case of sabotage of a bicycle. Overnight over a period of 3 months wheel nuts were undone, brake cables partially cut, gear cables adjusted, spokes cut and locks partially forced.

The least of the problems was the locks partially forced which did not explain the sabotage. Through careful analysis I ascertained that the saboteur was coming between 0200 and 0500 so I set up a trail cam hidden and well camouflaged. It uses wifi and transmits the pictures to the recorder. I am now getting a picture of the culprit, I don't yet know who he is as it appears they use a disguise.

Maybe a trail cam would work for you..

If the pistacio are salted then I will be able to give you an idea of their shelf life. You were meant to find those shells. Me thinks this person doesn't want you there and is trying to scare you off.

Last edited:

Rumi

Forager
Theres bee a new development in the bike saboteur. I think we may now have enough footage. I increased the number of cams and have multiple perspective on the stalker. Including one from below.

Sabotaging Bikes and cars is attempted murder, stalking and endangering life. The police are now in possession of copies of the footage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE