Favourite bird

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To those of you favouring ravens: what makes them better than other corvids?

Their size for one thing. They appear to be more intelligent, but that may not be true. The book 'The Mind of the Raven' is a worthwhile (but not easy) read that gives a great deal of clarity to their intelligence and social structure; I can recommend it.

The BBC's Natural Histories 'Raven' is worth a listen to as well. When the raven says 'Hello' it's hair raising IMO :)

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Can't say I have a favourite, but here's a few that appeal:

Swifts and Swallows: by far the aerobatic masters of the sky. Probably one of the more challenging birds to photograph too!

Starling: just because of their wonderful iridescent colours and seasonal murmurations.

Tawny Owl: because I so dearly love to listen to their calls when sat around a campfire. Oh and I'm also desperate to see one (rather than always hearing them!)

Blackbird: for orchestrating the dawn chorus

Crow: for their intellect and because they're never afraid to stand up to the bigger birds.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
For me it's the large size combined with their effortless and stylish flying. Plus if you've ever been within a metre of one flying and got a good look at them they really are beautiful.

Similarly one of my favourite animals are red squirrels because I've been less than a metre away from one getting a right telling off eye to eye! If they were as big as us they'd be lifting big SUVs and throwing them they're that hench!

I often reckon that all it takes is one amazing, close encounter with an animal or bird to fully see how impressive they really are and they mean more because of the experience.

Also like stoats and weasels because of a few close encounters with them. Amazing, comical animals with great character and great hunters

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have a pair of Ravens that nest and roost in my wood. They always fly out, swooping low and making that deep wooden croaking noise, I reply, and they return to the roost. When I first started going down there they would stick at it for half an hour or more.

I used to travel hours, to moorland, to see ravens, buzzards and kites - now I see them every day :)

Reactions: JonathanD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You’re lucky, we have none here. I did see one circling the clearing in the wood I was in on Monday however. He was making a right noise.

Reactions: PoppyD

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Today, sitting out with a cuppa just ten minutes ago, first a Red Kite, then, joy of joys, a Peregrine spent several minutes over the house gaining height - no swoop unfortunately, but a pleasure to see :)

Another magnificent bird!

Reactions: billycoen

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Neighbor cut down a small grove of spruce, a raven family of five spent about three days objecting. I don't think I have ever heard some of those sounds before.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I once sat in a stationary traffic jam coming off the m6 near my old house. Got day b so all windows and sun roof open. I looked up to see a kestrel hovering right above me looking intently on something in my car. It was over the top of me for the 5 minutes I wasn't moving before it just moved off.

Another time near there I took a left from the first location and down the hill. There was a grass verge then a footway. A kestrel was on the grass with wings hiding its kill. I could see it plucking away at whatever it caught. Looking around and up in case something was around to nick its dinner.

Then there's the 8 minutes or so I stood just to the side of the spot a hen harrier was hovering in the forest of Bowland, which has it as their symbol on signage and promotion material.

Or dippers bobbing around Yorkshire rapids like oversized, water loving Robins.

Or....

There's just so many amazing birds sights to see if you just get out there to give yourself a chance. Sooner or later you'll see a bird that just captures your attention and puts itself into favourite bird contention.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Neighbor cut down a small grove of spruce, a raven family of five spent about three days objecting. I don't think I have ever heard some of those sounds before.

I'm with you there; the range of vocabulary from Ravens is amazing - and that's just the sounds we can distinguish: little 'clicks'; deep throated croaks; booming noises; whistles; moans ... it's a whole language :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE