Favourite bird

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Cormorant: It can fly, dive and walk. My dive instructor when I was 16 had a close relationship with a cormorant which use to follow the dive boat to share the fish he caught while we dived. It also used to visit him at home and share fish. It fascinated me then and cormorants still.
We used to watch them dive and try guess where they would pop up again.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
That’s why they are protected. ;) We would have no flora and fauna left if everything was shot!
Completely and utterly wrong, they only predate fresh water fisheries because their natural food in the sea has been reduced to an unstastanable level, they are not naturally a freshwater fish preditor.
They will however destroy fisheries that are peoples lively hood and businesses and any found on fresh water should be shot and the rest of the population culled

• Haha
Reactions: Spirit fish

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Oh yes, the wren, king of birds!

You're right; they're all a delight (although I can't agree with pheasant in general though understand you're appreciation of individuals)

But then, a dunnock when you look at it through bins has fantastic turtle shell patterning on it's back; jays and green woodpeckers look like they belong in a different country, yellow hammers shine out in the snow like yellow LED lights - the list just goes on :)
fo r pattern it's either woodcock or nightjar for me like nature's camo

Reactions: PoppyD

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
It will also completely ruin fisheries before moving on to the next one..... They are protected but should be shot on sight.
Fish arn t for sport there for food cormorants have always been here what makes u think your superior to them ,I don't care if they ruin Car p fisheries Car p fisheries are pointless anyway

Reactions: MrEd

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
The merlin for me. Smallest of the native raptors but just as fierce in flight!

second up is probably the greater spotted woodpecker, and the kestrel. I spent an afternoon once with a group of primary school kids watching a Kestrel hunt, we were supposed to be on a hill walk but the group were so engrossed I thought it would be more benefit to let them watch than to move them on. It was a fantastic afternoon.

Reactions: PoppyD

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I would like to have a pint with Sally Philips but she's a different class of bird altogether.
As far as the feathered varieties go, I've always had a soft spot for great bustards.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I take it that no-one else has ever heard of the " oooooohmee gooolie" bird as mentioned in many 1960s Rugby songs....sorry all, I just couldn't resist the temptation.
Chuckles and regards
Ceeg

• Haha
Reactions: JonathanD

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Any raptor, but over the last couple of years I have grown to like buzzards, there are a pair nesting in the big oak trees n the field edge near my house so I have watched them a lot and watched them rear young twice, really rather majestic birds.
Although they do seem to get quite bullied by the crows!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Sibirian jay is a winner easily, one of the few birds that for some reason have little natural fear for humans. When one is walking through their territory they come to look who goes and they come to see if they can get something when on the fire and eating. Just absolutely delightful things.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For their gorgeous, comical faces, it's the puffin. Having said that, I do love blackbirds for their distinguished appearance and heavenly song.

For non-U.K. species, I rate the Kea for its extraordinary 'intelligence'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE