Favorite bit from Ray's new series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I loved all of last night’s programme; my only problem was that it was about 3 hours too short. Nearly every topic he covered could have been a programme in its own right. I especially liked the knife making and the bits with the Reindeer Herder.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
stotRE said:
I agree Tony that stove is such a simple but great idea (simple ideas usually being the best.)
My favourite bit was the whole episode in Sweden, what a beautiful country.
I like the concept that people are free to roam and practice bushcraft everyday without somebody slapping an ASBO on you because your woodsmoke is blocking their view. :(
I know where me and Stoddy will be going next year! :)

Sweden is a beatiful country and some of us are lucky to live here =)

"The right of public accesss" gives us a big freedom to do bushcraft but it´s also a big responsibility something that some people don´t seem to understand.

If coming to sweden to do bushcraft read and respect "The right of public accesss".
I always tell people that i take out in the wilderness what they can and cannot do and what their responsibilities are. You can do a lot of things as long as you do them right, because as some people have learned we do some things a little diffrent here.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Andy Brierley said:
(...) I would love to see an hour spent on detailed fire lighting of every type, or an hour on sharpening.

:D That would be a great idea for Woodlore to exploite: making DVD's with indept info about one specific subject, or a combination of 2 - 3 subjects / topics by RM (IIRC there are some videos by other schools - Mr. Hood in the US does them, doesn't he :confused: ?)
Some DVD topics:
- Axe / Knife sharpening, safety, using it, etc.
- Fire building: tinder collecting, fire flash, piston, flint & steel, battery, etc.
- Shelter: tarp, iglo :rolleyes: , debri shelters, etc.
- Etc.

Ok - before anyone jumps in for telling me that you'll learn more / better by doing it: I fully agree!!! But it isn't a bad idea - just for having a bushcrafty evening, if you can't go out - some of the blokes around here do have a proper job you know: can't go out as much as they want to. ;)
And: it's good to pick up some ideas for the next time you're out ... and it's cheaper then doing a course (although it can't replace it) ... and it's a great birthday pressie :D ;) ... and it's everything we all want ever since the beginning of these series ...

I'm baffling again ..., I'll stop now, before you guys glue my jaws together with a pine resin & charcoal mix :eek:

My favourite bit ... hmmmm ... how much time do you've got? ;) I loved all of last night's programme - but especially the part without the snow (canoe & Lars & ski making part). Also the part in the very first programme in which RM cooks a reindeer's leg in moss on some remote coastline - absolutely brill!!! :D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Ahjno,

I’m embarrassed to admit whilst trying to change my life not long ago, I wrote to the man himself, asking for a job and with some of these ideas! I didn’t get a reply, but you never know some of the ideas might have got through.

Eric_Methven said:
I missed the beginning, but that lass singing at the end had all the little hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Did anybody catch the name of the singing style. Maybe she has a CD out. If so, I'm going to buy it. I loved seeing the knife being made too.

Eric
I think this is the lady you are looking for.
http://www.samiskaveckan.sapmi.net/mari_boine.htm

Im afraid I dont understand a word - my swedish is limited to drinking toasts and 'hedgehog' - dont ask :D

Mar 6, 2005
London
innocent bystander said:
Caught the name but don't know how to spell it. When i found out i will also buy the cd.
In the mean time Mari Boine is good to listen to....

This episode and the canoeing one were my favorites so far.....
It was similar in harmonic and style to Finnish folk music, which I have loved for years. A good introduction is a group called Varttina, who combine traditional acapella folk music with more modern stuff. I agree though, it sends shivers down my spine.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
demob69 said:
It was similar in harmonic and style to Finnish folk music, which I have loved for years. A good introduction is a group called Varttina, who combine traditional acapella folk music with more modern stuff. I agree though, it sends shivers down my spine.

Did i arrive at the right name without knowing it ??? :confused:

Viking said:
Sweden is a beatiful country and some of us are lucky to live here =)

"The right of public accesss" gives us a big freedom to do bushcraft but it´s also a big responsibility something that some people don´t seem to understand.

If coming to sweden to do bushcraft read and respect "The right of public accesss".
I always tell people that i take out in the wilderness what they can and cannot do and what their responsibilities are. You can do a lot of things as long as you do them right, because as some people have learned we do some things a little diffrent here.

Thankyou Viking, it is a great responsibility and i imagine that not only the authoritys but the general public take a stern view to anybody abusing your beautiful country. Rightly so!

I wish that people in this country had the same respect for the countryside as we would have a similar privilege and more freedom to do what is after all a natural and healthy pastime

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
The singer is in Ray's new book, her name is Yana Mangi and the traditional songs are called jojks, pronouncd yoik. She apparently does have CD's but I'm not sure, there are a number of responses on Google but most are not in English so I don't know what they are. My favorite one was watching the birch bark canoe come to life, wonderful.

Brian

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Brian said:
The singer is in Ray's new book, her name is Yana Mangi and the traditional songs are called jojks, pronouncd yoik. She apparently does have CD's but I'm not sure, there are a number of responses on Google but most are not in English so I don't know what they are. My favorite one was watching the birch bark canoe come to life, wonderful.

Brian
Well found Brian :) It has been driving me nuts since people asked... :rolleyes:

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Thanks for that Brian. ;)

Hope the next episode is as good! Really nice to watch a hobby on TV instead of just hearing or reading about them for a change. :)

Does anyone know when the series will end? :(

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Her name's Mari Boine and she has about a dozen or so albums out. I typed her name into Amazon.co.uk and came up with lots of her CD's. 'Buy now with one click' is going to bankrupt me, lol Her music reminds me of a mixture of Native American and West Highland Gaelic.

Eric

M

magicaltrevor

Hi all! I was really looking forward to the Swedish Arctic episode as I went on Woodlore's Arctic course with Ray. I have to say that this series is fantastic! I got all nostalgic seeing all the techniques that I tried out in the Arctic.

I agree with whoever said that the sunsets were amazing. I've got some great pics of the sunsets and of course the Northern Lights which I expected to be on the show.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
For me, the best part of any Ray Mears programme is the honest, postive and enthusiastic manner in which Ray talks about the environment and the natural world. The skills and techniques as seen (and often repeated) in all of his series are only touched upon so as to appeal to a wide viewer platform.
He has not only played a major part in putting bush craft on the map, he has re-lit the fire of enthusiasum for the natural world in a countless number of people.

Of course, Ray might be the one in the lime light but there are also those who teach, run courses and practice bushcraft for real who are also playing a vital role in promoting the value of wild places and forgotten skills.
Long may this continue.

S

Skippy

i agree, Moko, why learn how to live in the wilds, if one doesn't appreciate why.
Not only does ray do an excellent job of sharing skills that everyman should have anyway.
He also brings alive the reasons for wanting to learn them.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
So many good bits, where to start - The Pine stove, the knife handles, the canoe and paddle building, but for me the best two bits (equal first) were both from the episode where he took the canoe trip.

1. Ray Goodwin surfing the wave - made it look sooo easy - I'd be swimming long ago :D

2. Again Ray G with the firelighting by friction - fabulous I felt every stroke of it.

For my money, the best full series Ray's done - up there with some of the very old tracks episodes - I just wish the BBC would repeat the series - not just Rays bits but Pete McCarthy and also Mr Crabtree goes fishing - all vintage stuff!!

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE