Favorite bit from Ray's new series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I have to say, and I did on the series thread, that I liked the tree trunk stove that I saw tonight, get a round, saw or split it and then light it on the inside, fantastic :D

What are others favourite bits of the show, not what you think of the show as a whole but specific bits, there have a been a few over the past few weeks that have been very good....

What think you?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I missed the beginning, but that lass singing at the end had all the little hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Did anybody catch the name of the singing style. Maybe she has a CD out. If so, I'm going to buy it. I loved seeing the knife being made too.

Eric

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Also replied to the other thread, lol.

Yeh, Ray did it again and he really amazes me. Great fan of him. Nice to see Lars too!

Thought the knife handle construction was the best.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'll probably get lynched for this but I have felt a little disappointed with the new series. It does seem to be yet more of the same. Now I am a huge fan of Mearsy, but I do wish there was a few more things that he could show. This episode did go some way in this direction, like the log stove (excellent), ski making and the knife making in particular, but the fish holes, fish cooking, dog sleds have been done many times. How about making a bow? Building different shelter types? Carving something different than a spoon or a paddle? I'm sure there is so much more he can do. Great viewing though!!

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
I love Ray Mears, lol. :)

The only thing I can pick at though, is how he calls loads of different plants/trees "Old Mans Beard" - is this right? Surely there should only be one plant with this name, but hes said it in 3 episodes in a row now. :confused:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Eric_Methven said:
I missed the beginning, but that lass singing at the end had all the little hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Did anybody catch the name of the singing style. Maybe she has a CD out. If so, I'm going to buy it. I loved seeing the knife being made too.

Eric

Caught the name but don't know how to spell it. When i found out i will also buy the cd.
In the mean time Mari Boine is good to listen to....

This episode and the canoeing one were my favorites so far.....

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Eric_Methven said:

Eric

If it was a sami singing it was probably "Jojk"

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Mutley...he doesnt name them that lol its simply what local poeple call them. Yes there are a lot of plants that also get called Old Mans beard, you can add Groundsel in this country to that list. Anything fluffy generally get called old mans beard by someone.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
he has made a bow, him and a bower, made one in the series before this one using flint tools. it was intersting to watch.
last nights was good, liked the forging of the blade, impressed with the speed at which he finished that handle :D
thought the log stove thing was a neat trick.
sc

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I think my favourite bit was seeing the other Ray trying the bow-drill. Nice that it got accross that this is a technique with plently of scope to NOT work just so every time, and that you can work up quite a sweat trying to get it right. Sometimes stuff can be made to look too easy, the reality beiong quite a shock when someone has a go for the first time.

Generally though its tough to pick the best bits, this series has been simply fantastic.

Dave

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
I liked the making of the knife blade. There is an open farm near me that has a resident blacksmith making gates, etc. I could watch that for hours, smithying (?) is a fantastic skill.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I have to agree with all the other comments about the split log fire, I hadn’t seen that before and it was wonderful.

Much as I love Mr Mears’ programmes and watch them time and time again, I agree with Space Monkey. We have seen the majority of this many times before, not that I don’t enjoy it, at least I think this series is a great improvement on the last. I have worked a great deal in programme making and I am sure he is being ham strung by the commissioning editors. I would love to see an hour spent on detailed fire lighting of every type, or an hour on sharpening. But your average chuckle head wouldn’t sit through it and sadly, as ever in the modern climate, everything has to be aimed at the lowest common denominator. Pitching the programmes must be incredibly difficult, to interest those of us who are like minded yet entertain those waiting for “Celebrity Chefs dogs and their garden designers, abroad, against the clock” at 9pm. He can’t win, but he comes close and frankly I’m amazed, but grateful, that he is still allowed the exposure he gets. Probably his only opportunity to tell us the things he wants to is within the confines of a Michael Palin type show with a bushcraft slant.

One last rant, Mutleys “Old Mans Beard” comment, thank you I thought I was the only one who was scratching his head. I gathered a load of “Old Mans Beard” in the north of Scotland a few years ago. I couldn’t get the bloody stuff to burn; I even put a blow lamp on it! It’s now lagging my pipes. I have a suspicion the asbestos industry is dumping its waste in the braches of northern trees!

Feel better now!

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Mr Mears is as entertaining and informative as ever. The content of the show was superbly varied and I, for one, did not mind the small amount of repetition of material. I would certainly look forward to the inclusion of more blacksmith footage and tool fabrication in general, in future shows [hint, hint].

One minor observation...churlish to mention it really...and I could be wrong...but: When Ray and the ski meister are sawing up the donor trunk with the two-man saw, it seemed to me as though our hero had positioned his limbs such that his corpulent quadriceps lay beneath the rapidly descending blade. Did I see this right? :eek:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
anyone tape it :( since the serise started i have worked every episode.. my perents have mannaged to tape about 1 hour of footage and it hasnt all be from the same show!? little help... please

will of course pay postage ect!

Tony said:
I have to say, and I did on the series thread, that I liked the tree trunk stove that I saw tonight, get a round, saw or split it and then light it on the inside, fantastic :D

What are others favourite bits of the show, not what you think of the show as a whole but specific bits, there have a been a few over the past few weeks that have been very good....

What think you?

I agree Tony that stove is such a simple but great idea (simple ideas usually being the best.)
My favourite bit was the whole episode in Sweden, what a beautiful country.
I like the concept that people are free to roam and practice bushcraft everyday without somebody slapping an ASBO on you because your woodsmoke is blocking their view. :(
I know where me and Stoddy will be going next year! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE