Farmer accidently shoots burglars....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If I caught those ones who are terrifying my mum in her house, Im pretty sure I would be interested in convincing them not to return. Im honestly not sure what I would class as unreasonable force.

Something for folks to bear in mind is that the person or persons who are in the process of being "convinced not to return" know where you live, unless they are thick enough to be committing acts of burglary, arson or wanton vandalism with some form of photographic ID about their person you are not going to know who they are, what there name is or where they are from (unless either of you end up in court). Now it may be that they will take a hint and look elsewhere after you have given them a good talking to, however it may be that they might decide to come visiting again bringing their friends next time.

I think if confronted most burglars will always take the easy option and run off, if cornered things are more likely turn nasty.

Last edited:

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Theres nothing to stop them returning again anyway, unless you can convince them.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Theres nothing to stop them returning again anyway, unless you can convince them.

Well there is returning with the hope of nicking the tools from your workshop or whatever and there is returning with the intent of burning your house down with you and your family inside (or anything in between those two extremes).

All I'm saying is that unless your family are a bunch of long haired hollow cheeked hillbillies who can scare the bejesus out of these intruders, so much so that you can be absolutely certain that they will never return, then the possibility exists that they will feel slighted enough by your admonishments to want to return months or even years in the future to enact some form of revenge.

So unless your 'convincing them' involves feeding them to the chickens there is always the risk that they will return.

Last edited:

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
lol

....I believe we are discussing what constitutes reasonable force?

How much reasonable force do you feel I should use to protect my mother if I catch these people in her house, especially when its quite obvious that police have no deterrent value or chance of even catching them?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
lol

....I believe we are discussing what constitutes reasonable force?

How much reasonable force do you feel I should use to protect my mother if I catch these people in her house, especially when its quite obvious that police have no deterrent value or chance of even catching them?

Well indeed, I was in your position once, my elderly fathers property was broken into while I was there, I detained the youth concerned, at the time all I could think about was what might have happened if my father had been alone on that night, I don't think I have ever been angrier.

However these people are no doubt targeting your mother because she is elderly, frail and alone if you can be there to catch them then that in itself is the deterrent that will have them looking elsewhere for easier takings.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Your stuck always if you go out and stop say for arguement, youths smashing your car windows bring them into your house and call the police,you can get done for kidnapping(its happened) if you go out and stop kids smashing your car windows and you try to stop them and they kick you to death, then get puny sentences for said crime again not a good outcome for you(it happen's)I dont have a firearm or intend to own one, but if i caught burgalars in my house(where my 3 young children are) id deal with them in whatever way i could to render them immoblie till the Police arrived, and take any consequences later, to me my family are at direct risk through no fault of my own, on the other hand sad but true these days i would not go out to stop a group of youths from fighting/vandalising(whatever) im not at direct risk neither is my family(id call the police and expect a long wait) and as i mentioned earlier its not worth the risk to your life as they (the criminals) seem to get pathetic sentences for awful crimes.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
unfit to be entrusted with a firearm and may present a danger to public safety and peace
if that member of the public happens to be sneaking around a drug barons warehouse at night then i suppose so yes, but im not sure calling him a danger to public is an accurate way to put it.
to me he shot something moving on purpose, and if he did think it was a fox the human screaming noises after the first two shots may have put him of reloading and having another go, so i doubt he was going for a fox really....
not sure he should be being portrayed as the bad guy in this though...

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
if that member of the public happens to be sneaking around a drug barons warehouse at night then i suppose so yes, but im not sure calling him a danger to public is an accurate way to put it.
"unfit to be entrusted with a firearm and may present a danger to public safety and peace" were the words the police officers in charge of the case used and presumably they have rather more information on the matter than us.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Not surprised that he heard no screams if he was next to a load of angry geese . But he fired towards an outbuilding he'd rented out and whether he was party to the drugs or not I imagine the "lease" would have covered 24 hr access .
I hope it's just coincidental but it's a bit odd .

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Ladies and gents! whats all this then? Yes yes it could of been a lot worse, yes yes it has been worse in other scenario's but look at the bright side things turned out good didnd they? =)

Anyway, as soon as this leg wound heals Im going back for my stash! :p

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
My 70 year old mum lives in sheltered housing. In the last week, three of her neighbours have been burgled.

Two of those were while they were in doors.

The last one, they stole her deceased husbands medals and wedding ring as well as taking her jewellery.

Another, they arrived in the middle of the day with a van and emptied the house of all their furniture - as well as their valuables. That place was also done a month ago as well.

I spent several hours last night on the phone discussing with my mum what she should do if they come for her stuff.

She has been going around hiding her stuff, which for the most part isnt even worth taking...

I could only suggest she yells that she is fully insured and would they leave a list of what they were taking.

She wanted to know how much she should have in the place for them to take so they wont put her in hospital, as she is still recovering from a leg wound that took nearly 2 months to heal where an excited dog jumped up in the park, and doesnt need any more.

The last woman heard them smash her double glazed window. My mum wants to know if she should press her care line button when she hears them, or if they would see that as a reason to smash her up.

I was pretty much lost for words.

God bless your mam , it just winds me up knowing these scumbags will be out soon if caught ! It would mentally kill me if i found my mam hurt or burgled ! and the only place i would be going would be FRANKLAND , for life ! you look after your old mam now .

Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Something for folks to bear in mind is that the person or persons who are in the process of being "convinced not to return" know where you live, unless they are thick enough to be committing acts of burglary, arson or wanton vandalism with some form of photographic ID about their person you are not going to know who they are, what there name is or where they are from (unless either of you end up in court). Now it may be that they will take a hint and look elsewhere after you have given them a good talking to, however it may be that they might decide to come visiting again bringing their friends next time.

I think if confronted most burglars will always take the easy option and run off, if cornered things are more likely turn nasty.

Says it all that about todays society just let them do what they want, take any thing they want !

Good job there were brave men and women in world war 1 and 2 that stood up to the same kind of people otherwise you and me would not be free to talk like this now !

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Good job there were brave men and women in world war 1 and 2 that stood up to the same kind of people otherwise you and me would not be free to talk like this now !

Sorry which side in WW2 believed in civil liberties and which side believed might was right and that the elements of society they didn't like should be disposed of?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
One side who was not attacked (the UK) thought that force of arms was the right way to end oppression of the weak and helpless because violent oppressors understand nothing else - we also learned, from Chamberlain, that appeasing bullies does not work

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yes, but let's be honest - the UK DIDN'T win the war. We were on the winning side, but we weren't the winners on our own.
And we'd shot our wad and bankrupted ourselves by 1943, and were happy to sit out the rest of the war, proving Gandhi's quote - 'an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind'.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hardly think we sat out the war from 43 onwards, thats a bit of a insult to all those who fought in North Africa,Burma,Italy,France,etc etc,yep we Bankrupt ourselves,we did in the First as well paying for ourselves and the French war effort, but to say we sat it out is wrong.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Hardly think we sat out the war from 43 onwards, thats a bit of a insult to all those who fought in North Africa,Burma,Italy,France,etc etc,yep we Bankrupt ourselves,we did in the First as well paying for ourselves and the French war effort, but to say we sat it out is wrong.

Then you don't know your history, my friend. British high command were not exactly the most eager to open new fronts, or make the most concerted pushes*. That's not a slight on all those who fought from 43 onwards, just an accurate assessment of the British tactics.

*yes, there are exceptions to this, before anyone wants to point out exceptions. But generally, the British eagerness for war had waned. Quite understandably.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE