eel basket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

WERDNA

does any one know were i can get a wicker eel trap

or somthing similar to catch eals

cheers

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
I have been thinking about starting to look for a trap myself - having seen one of the River cottage episodes a couple of days back where HFW had one made to a French design. I'll have a browse on the River Cottage website when I have some time. I think the flavour of eels are vastly underrated by many.
David

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
You could just use a sack or pillowcase with the end tied up. Make a few slits around it for the eels to get in, add the bait, tie the end and then secure it in the river. Next morning should bring you a few eels.

W

WERDNA

yea river cottage give me the idea too, thanks for the info guys

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Be carefull taking about this subject as you might find yourself with neg rep points saying .

staggering ignorance of both Ecology and the Law.

I did

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fish traps are an emotive subject :rolleyes: I have no bias on it, except that I'm really, really allergic to fish :(

I'm sure that someone much more knowlegeable about this topic than I am will be along to give clear guidelines.
In the meantime, please do not post information that might infer that all aspects of this activity are legal or to be encouraged.

Cheers,
Toddy

you could try googling Fyke Net as this is the name given to the eel traps used on the Norfolk Broads etc. They look like a large keep net & you must use an otter guard with them to prevent otters entering the trap & drowning (I think this would apply to all eel traps).
I found one for sale here....
http://www.netmanufacturers.co.uk/pro-tec/new/shopfront.asp?sfID=1&dID=2

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
European eels are having a hard time of it at the moment - over-fishing commercially coupled with a parasitic invader have seen numbers plummet.

Regional regulations vary widely, so it's best to check for the area you intend to use them in. Generally speaking you will need, as a minimum, a Fyke licence.

To find out more check out the Environment Agency, who now have an management strategy for Eels in place.
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/286019/?version=1&lang=_e

Crayfish on the other hand can be caught in well-made eel traps. Local fishermen will probably carry you through the town on their shoulders if you do this :rolleyes:

:)

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
den said:
Be carefull taking about this subject as you might find yourself with neg rep points saying .

staggering ignorance of both Ecology and the Law.

I did

That's one of the great joys of belonging to a forum such as this ... not only will ignorance be quickly pointed out ;) , but this will always be followed up with some appropriate advice/information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know a lot of basketmakers and I can make what I need, but if you want more information or want to source someone who will make items such as pots and traps for you then may I suggest the Basketmakers Association, or the Scottish Basketmakers Circle. I don't know the name of the Irish or Welsh groups but I've attached some links that may be of interest.

http://www.basketassoc.org/pages/links.php
http://www.basketassoc.org/pages/sales.php
http://www.scottishbasketmakerscircle.org/links.html

Cheers,
Toddy

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
toddy have you got any pictures / patterns or can you suggest any websites / books on the subject of pots and traps I've seen some lovely wood and cordage ones in the past but never made any and id really like to have a go.

James

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got a stack of of photos and some good books with clear illustrations. I'm hoping to get to the Scottish Meet up this weekend; I'll see what we can come up with :D
This might make a very good thread; there are so many different things that can be used to make baskets.
I practice using rolled up newspapers and when I'm happy with it I go and cut fresh stuff or soak willow.
If you have privet hedge leave part of it uncut for this summer; the earliest European fish trap we have is mesolithic and it's made form Privet :D
Docken stems were traditionally used to make cushie baskets (that's the kind that folks carried on their backs) for carrying fish. The dock stems wash clean better than the usual oat straw does.

Cheers,
Mary

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Do you need a licence, of any kind, to capture eels with what is referred to in at least one part of the country as a “clod”?

The method entails threading some 50 fat worms onto wool and then binding into a “clod” before bobbing up and down in the water. The eel’s teeth get caught in the wool and/or simply cling on to the worms when lifted from the water. There is no need for a rod or even a stick as is sometimes used when practiced from a boat.

Cheers!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Klenchblaize said:
The method entails threading some 50 fat worms onto wool and then binding into a “clod” before bobbing up and down in the water. The eel’s teeth get caught in the wool and/or simply cling on to the worms when lifted from the water. There is no need for a rod or even a stick as is sometimes used when practiced from a boat.

Cheers!

I've never heard it called that, but that is exactly the method taught to me by my grandfather many years ago.

ATB

Ogri the trog

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
1.You need an Enviromental Agency Fishing Licence to undertake ANY kind of Freshwater Fishing in England and Wales.

2. As has already been stated above, in some areas Eels (and many other Species of Fish) are struggling to survive, in waters that they have lived in for Millenia.

3. In virtually every case, this decline is caused by Man.

4. The Enviroment Agency (and some River Owners) are Continually Restocking Rivers (where feasable) with new stocks.

5. Do not increase the already Marginal Survivability of many Fish Species BY IGNORING THE LAW. These Laws have been put in place to protect their long term survival.

6. I really wonder wether it would be considered acceptable behaviour by some members here, to drag a Badger out of it's Sett for your next meal, or to Harpoon a Deer?

7. Fish are also Native Species, just because they live underwater, does not exclude them from the same Enviromental Protection that Land dwelling Animals have.

8. Using Inappropriate and/or Prohibited Fishing equipment, or Fishing without a Valid EA licence is POACHING and is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE.

9. If you intend to do any kind of Fishing, research the appropriate Venues and Legally Acceptable Equipment.

Reactions: Toddy
Whilst I fully understand & respect the feelings of anyone on this forum I feel that it needs to be pointed out that properly licenced, eel trapping is a lawful pursuit whether undertaken commercially or as Werdna wishes for occasional recreational subsistence/bushcraft reasons. Therefore I wish you luck & hope that with proper research you are able to trap your lunch!

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/286019/286074/288597/288606/?lang=_e

;)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
If you DO get some Eels, try this very simple Japanese recipe (Eels are called 'Unagi' in Japanese if you're interested)

Prepare Eels as usual by skinning (nail through head into a wooden post, cut just into skin and use pliers to draw down skin) gut, top and tail cut flesh into inch or so long pieces and flatten out the pieces. Marinate in a mixture of Japanese soy sauce and sugar for 3 hours (Japanese soy sauce is lighter than Chinese) Kikkoman is a good choice. and grill on the barbecue or oven grill. Serve with rice. Absolutely delicious :p

Just to ad one caveat:

Wild eel has the highest known dioxine level in the fat of any animal known in the Western world. It is not only the fattest fish, but being so, it is completely useless in a fish diet because eel seems to contain no omega-3 at all (it's just fattening)

Bon appetit anyhow... :sad6:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
bogflogger said:
1.You need an Enviromental Agency Fishing Licence to undertake ANY kind of Freshwater Fishing in England.

6. I really wonder wether it would be considered acceptable behaviour by some members here, to drag a Badger out of it's Sett for your next meal, or to Harpoon a Deer?

Thanks for putting me straight on the licence front. I only questioned the need having always understood that this was referred to as a “Rod Licence” and as such was keen to understand (I fish but one day a year on the Thames at Marlow) if the method described was exempt – as in no “Rod” involved. Now the position (law) is fully understood I simply can’t wait to inform my 4-year-old daughter that her plastic bucketful of minnows could see the Environment Agency raiding her piggybank for such misconduct.

With regard to harpooning deer and dragging badgers from their home I guess it’s a case of when needs must. Quiet frankly if I were hungry enough the thought of reeling in a Roe deer sounds positively delightful, especially if my aim resulted in a wounding shot. How much easier this method of retrieval would be in permitting ‘sticking’ the creature with my perfectly proportioned Ray Mears knife. Something I feel sure the true heroes of Telemark would not shy from either. As for extricating badgers from their cosy nest - with aid of a stout barbed dog rose stem, such does not have quite the same attraction and probably requires a rather lengthy operator “Risk Assessment”!

Sorry if you object to my flippancy but quite frankly as someone with more than a passing interest and experience of Deer Management “Best Practice”, as championed by both Forestry Commission Scotland and the BDS, I rather object to the assertion that my recount of a practice dating back to the introduction of the spinning wheel in anyway suggests a lack of respect and concern for the fauna of this wee Isle.

Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE