Fish traps ect...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

edwred

I've been doing a bit of reading and stumbled upon a surviv guide that reccomends using a fish basket and leaving it in a rockpoll at low tide then checking on it on the next low tide. It also shows a crescent shaped flatfish trap, built on the beach using rocks at low tide and checked the next low tide.
Has anyone used fish traps, gorge hook set lines ect for easy food gathering in coastal areas?
It also claims you can throw a baited hook into the surf to catch lobster- you can from piers but from surf????
Cheers

Sent from my Nokia 4.2 using Tapatalk

E

edwred

here's some photos
1742c77001802658ed834c10ff0768db.jpg
bf91d0a443d5faa87dc2eef0a46fb91d.jpg

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I used to set lines during winter on the north west coast. I would visit them every low tide, I would catch lugworm with a bait pump on the way out before re-baiting 24 hooks and heading back with my catch. Once finished with I would dig it all up and clear the whole lot away leaving no trace.
I’ve never seen a lobster caught in the surf, I think that may be editorial fluff.
One of my pet hates are plastic and steel fish traps or as I call them “zombie traps” if they get lost they can turn into perpetual killing machines as a succession of fish or crustaceans get caught and die in them. A fish trap should have the potential to rot away, even in a low oxygen environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: edwred

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
It also claims you can throw a baited hook into the surf to catch lobster- you can from piers but from surf????
Obviously location makes a difference. I could see this working adjacent to rocks or some sort of underwater cover or by the outfall… :D
Probably better at night when the beasts are on the March.

But on a relatively open beach line in the surf I doubt you’ll consistently get anything big. Probably quicker to hand catch small crabs.

Last edited:
Reactions: edwred and Ystranc
E

edwred

I used to set lines during winter on the north west coast. I would visit them every low tide, I would catch lugworm with a bait pump on the way out before re-baiting 24 hooks and heading back with my catch. Once finished with I would dig it all up and clear the whole lot away leaving no trace.
I’ve never seen a lobster caught in the surf, I think that may be editorial fluff.
One of my pet hates are plastic and steel fish traps or as I call them “zombie traps” if they get lost they can turn into perpetual killing machines as a succession of fish or crustaceans get caught and die in them. A fish trap should have the potential to rot away, even in a low oxygen environment.
Aye I think the lobster things either false of for places like north America or warmer waters. Would a fish basket that would rot work in the UK?
Ive also thought about using a setline of 5 gorge hooks baited with worms in the Tyne estuary. Gorge hooks mean less dogs Hooke's lol I would ofc put warnings around it ect

Reactions: Ystranc and Ozmundo

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
As long as you’re there to collect your catch and re-bait the hooks there shouldn’t be an opportunity for dogs to get entangled. There are hooks that have their points turned inwards these days which makes them much more difficult to foul them or hook yourself.

Reactions: Ozmundo and edwred
E

edwred

As long as you’re there to collect your catch and re-bait the hooks there shouldn’t be an opportunity for dogs to get entangled. There are hooks that have their points turned inwards these days which makes them much more difficult to foul them or hook yourself.
Aye I've got some snelled circle hooks. People are just ignorant though with dog walkers. I almost Hooked one fishing on the beach for flounder and the owners just laugh. No control of dogs on the beach really

• Sad
Reactions: Ystranc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE