East Anglia Group! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I've had a week and i'm still not packed :yikes:

looks like we're in for a cool weekend! :super:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Got back OK and had a good time.

Tessa was impressed and say's thanks to everyone who was there, made sure she's got the BCUK website address, special thanks to Fenlander for showing her how to use a bow drill fireset and everyone who put up with her questions.

It was good to put faces and charicters to some of the names from postings, learn a bit more and make some new friends. Now I'm looking forward to the next one when there will be more wild food to collect and eat, Also will know a bit more what to expect and all that.

Next time might borrow a friends car and bring some ash staves from a friends land so I can teach bowmaking plus some clay for doing pots.

:lol:

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Thankyou to everyone, I had a great weekend! It was good to finally put faces to the names! A big thankyou to RAPPLEBY2000 for conceiving the whole idea, Fenlander for finding the site (and not burning himself to much), R-Bowskill for making that fantastic willow bow (Bow making sounds great for the next meet!), Desperate Dan for transporting me out there and of coarse Tessa for not walking into Kevin's Guy lines :biggthump :You_Rock_

Desperate Dan

Jan 18, 2005
Bury St. Edmunds Suffolk
I will offer my apologises for my lack of health (wimp I hear you all cry!) :cry: I will definently be at the next camp, in the meantime Ranger Bob and I often go out and spend the day in Kings Forest and Thetford Forest, so if anyone is interested in a day of exploration especially in Kings Forest which has large deciduous areas, just let Ranger Bob or myself know.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi everyone, hope you enjoyed the weekend!

We have just finished the first ever East Anglia Meet-up, it went really well!

Those present were:

Myself RAPPLEBY2000,
Fenlander
R-Bowskill
Tess friend of R-bowskill
Ranger Bob
and we had a fleeting meet up with Desperate Dan though he was ill!

We didn't exactly have nice weather, Saturday basha’s and Bivi’s were flapping everywhere, and hammocks / tarps (Basha’s) were shelter of choice.

Saturday was spent trying out new kit, putting up shelters and hammocks collecting wood and generally getting used to the site. Later Fenlander gave us several good demos on how to start a friction fire with a bow drill, R-Bowskill made hunting darts and R-Bowskill and I made weird whizzing humming things as seen on Crocodile Dundee.
Bannock breads of various types were made and some “cleaves” were found by Tess and boiled up (she also found several guy lines!), spoons were carved; personal Bow drill sets were found made and tried.

All day it was very windy in the Thetford area, not a “Bush hat” day or it was if you used staples, as the night drew closer small branches were falling from nearby healthy poplar trees and twigs were falling on us from the pine area we were in.

After burning Bannock and fingers we all headed for the warmth of our shelters only to find the wind getting much worse along with a heavy rain storm, swaying hammocks was one problem!

In the morning, Ranger Bob assembled a truly inspirational wood-burning stove made from cut metal sheet from an old filing cabinet, after burning more Bannock and witnessing a snow shower, we all went for a forage in the local woods and marsh area. Pickings were, as you’d expect a little sparse this time of year but food found and tried were:
Burdock root, Cleaves, and nettle.
Ranger bob also showed us a wooden bowl he had carved from birch, and due to the earlier finger burning incident R-Bowskill set about making a “Bushcraft” wooden pan holder and succeeded!

The hinged pan holder inspired a masterclass of engineering that involved a DIY furnace to heat a nail to burn a pivot hole, using a nearby copper pipe and some hosepipe.
R-Bowskill suggested we try forging some copper and emptied a small bag of minerals into the furnace we worked for some time taking it in turns to get dizzy from breathing into the fire, a copper pipe placed in the fire did melt, unfortunately we never found the result of the minerals but we did melt copper (900 degrees Celsius so I’m told) pretty hot in camp fire terms!

Before returning to came we “Found” a willow with nice branches and took them back to create a Bow (with re-curve) and a stave (which is still in my car). Ranger Bob showed us a bowl he was making.
We all had a Great Time and are eagerly looking forward to the next Meet-up, which we are starting to plan for April.

I’m afraid the picture I took were ruined and consequently there are none to show what we got up to but there were other pictures taken so they will get here eventually.

:You_Rock_

Great summary of the weekend guys....keep practicing with those bow-drills! :lol:

Lessons leant this weekend:

metal gets hot in the fire :oops:
pine resin works well on burns
Rappleby has a good eye for a bargain :lol:
Roasted Burdock root tastes good (cheers Bob :uu: )
as do Cleavers boiled
R-bowskill has great...well bow-skill :super: very impressive
and as for Tessa "mind my guy-lines :rolmao:
Dan.....enough said :lol:
Cheers everyone and here's to the next meet!!!

Dan and Bob...i am up for a day in Kings Forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE