East Anglia Group! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i think we can now say that after meeting we get on pretty well and we can all assume that we shall move forward and the group will get bigger.

what do we want to call ourselves?

some ideas that i have thought of:

if we want to use ancient terms or ideas how about a referance to(please note my history is not up to scratch:

Pedders way (it runns through suffolk, and norfolk to the north norfolk coast!).

bodacia (she was around here for a while!).

the Angles (anglo saxon people).

bannock burners (ask fennlander)

the fenns are present in most of the east anglia's counties(both fennlander and i origionate from the area)

not many hills in east anglia so flatland/lowland/plains are relevent (i'm clutching at straws)

i see no reason why we can't also call our meets a "moot" too if you wish.

any other ideas very welcome!

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
bannock burners (ask fennlander)

[i see no reason why we can't also call our meets a "moot" too if you wish.

a) Bannack burners......lets not tempt fate :eek:):

b) I'm all for moots!

I was in a Tolkien-esque mood when I read this, and the rather long winded name of 'The East Anglian Company of Rangers' popped into my head..... :shock:
I'll keep on posting them as they come!

Is "Ranger" appropriate?

As we first met in February.....this is an extract from a paper on the Anglo

Saxon calender...

February was known as Solmonað. According to Bede, the name comes from the cakes which they offered to their gods in that month. However, the word sol is not used in any Anglo-Saxon source to mean 'cake'. It's most common meaning is, in fact, 'mud'. Two possibilities arise. Either the kind of cake offered was called 'mud' due to its colour or texture, or, more plausibly (to those familiar with the English climate), February was simply known as 'Mudmonth'.

Solmonað's is a suggestion.....maybe not :rolmao:

how about "The Icknielder's" from the Icknield Way which runs throughout East Anglia.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Historically, the word 'ranger' was applied to someone who travelled in wild places or 'ranged' or, and probably more so, to a mounted man. It has fallen into misuse in recent times, being applied as a warden or keeper of a particular tract of land. From that perpesctive it seems appropriate to me.
Not sure about using the ickneild way, as it isn't distintivly East Anglian!?!
I like the idea of using old english though! :biggthump

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i don't know if you realise but there used to be a branch of girl guides (older girls) called "the Rangers", also there is a current "US Army Rangers" corps as well as "park rangers". the term could imply a neo-militaristic theme which could have a neggative feedback.

all the same some people could be drawn to the "organised" sound of the name which would be good.

any of the ancient names would be good conversation starters

i have been around here all my life and i've never heard of:
ickneild
or the term Solmonað (which seems pretty apropriate phrase for gardening and cooking)!

by the way how to you pronounce these two?

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
To misquote shakespear ...an East Anglia Bushcraft get together by any other name would be as good.

Maybe we could go really mad, what about the 'British Bedouin', after all East Anglia is technically semi desert if you use the annual rainfall measure. :eek:):

RAPPLEBY2000 said:
i don't know if you realise but there used to be a branch of girl guides (older girls) called "the Rangers", also there is a current "US Army Rangers" corps as well as "park rangers". the term could imply a neo-militaristic theme which could have a neggative feedback.

all the same some people could be drawn to the "organised" sound of the name which would be good.

any of the ancient names would be good conversation starters

i have been around here all my life and i've never heard of:
ickneild
or the term Solmonað (which seems pretty apropriate phrase for gardening and cooking)!

by the way how to you pronounce these two?
Take a look here....

http://www.icknieldwaypath.co.uk/

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cool,

could it be an activity for us? with a bit of lightweight/bushcraft camping along the way?

The folk, sounds nice, any other opinions?

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Desperate Dan, Fenlander and myself met up today (mooted?) and stopped off at west stow anglo saxon village for some advice on old english. We came up with the following words:-

Bush = Dyfel or Wrid.
Craft = Craeft.
People/Folk = Folc.
Forest = Weald or Wudu.
Wood = Bearu, Holt, Holtwudu, Hyrst, Wuduholt.
Knife = Seax
and not forgeting.....
East Anglia = Eastengle.

Between the three of us we came up with : The Bushfolk of East Anglia = Dyfelfolc (of) Eastengle, or Eastengle Dyfelfolc.
Anyway, i'm going to contact http://www.angelcynn.org.uk/ also at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2471/ to get advice on old english grammer! Anymore suggestions...?
Thanks Desperate Dan and Fenlander for a great day :biggthump :You_Rock_

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
The Bushfolk of East Anglia = Dyfelfolc (of) Eastengle, or Eastengle Dyfelfolc.

I like it! I like it alot!

not too much of a mouthful either!

i prefer "Eastengle Dyfelfolc"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE