East Anglia Group!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
just to highlight the point i do not have........

your phone numers!

i would like to get back in touch with you guys but i don't have your numbers! :(

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Hi to all
New to the forum and actually trying some of the activites associated with bushcraft but willing to learn, have done camping and hill walking/climbing but really enjoy getting out into the woods,i would like to come to a weekend meet whenever the next one is? (cant do easter of to the lakes),apart from the kit list what else is needed.

Weekender(martin)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Thanks for the invite fenlander but i shall be away those dates, i see you do your own courses i could well be booking something (more in my price range then other firms :D )but i would be interested if you had any other informal meets coming up soon after.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
whats happened to the East anglia group?

A big thankyou to fenlander for all his hard work in the region.

because we are discovering more and more bushcrafters it may be time to start a more local one?

as an experiment i would like to start a much more local group to Norwich, (call it Norwich/Norfolk as an area).
nothing personal i'm just thinking some of the group have found it difficult to travel.

so as a brother group i am going to try to get a Norwich one started

MikeS said:
I hope everything went well over the bank holiday. If so are there and thoughts of doing it again as we missed out. :sulkoff:

Mike

Jeremy's working on something at the moment, and I'm sure Andy (Caretaker) would be willing to organise another meet if you hassle him a bit ;)

There's a medieval fayre at Snailwell near Newmarket on 13th & 14th May, where people might like to meet up.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
Hi Kevin

13th and 14th May I am in North Yorkshire again. I'm not doing very well at the moment. I look forward to whatever Jeremy is organising .

Mike

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hello all,
i met up with Snufkin today coulden't spend much time together i had family duties (had to swap children with my wife).

but snufkin is a nice chap we talked about flint knapping and potential teaching, tried some of the many leaves (beech, hawthorn, gorse flower) on offer in the bushcraft supermarket that is mousehold heath.

if we can meet up i'm sure there is plenty of knowledge snufkin seems pretty clued up on loads of stuff.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
hello all,
i met up with Snufkin today coulden't spend much time together i had family duties (had to swap children with my wife).

but snufkin is a nice chap we talked about flint knapping and potential teaching, tried some of the many leaves (beech, hawthorn, gorse flower) on offer in the bushcraft supermarket that is mousehold heath.

if we can meet up i'm sure there is plenty of knowledge snufkin seems pretty clued up on loads of stuff.
Very kind of you to say, don't know that I'm particularly expert at anything. I know very little about alot though :)

MikeS said:
Absolutely fantastic day. The site was great, I haven't unwound that much for ages.

Thanks very much.

:You_Rock_

....and you got you first success with the bow-drill :)

Mikesfirstember.jpg

.....and Reed Mace stems and rhizomes for lunch.

ReedMacestemsrhizome.jpg

plus Bakewell Tart.....I mean Willow catkins ;)

Thanks for coming, it was good to see you again.

The crayfish trap was empty this moring by the way :(

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Congratulations Mike......it's fantastic and most satisfying when it goes up in flames for the first time isn't it.

After the Rutland Easter met I got home and made up my own drill set with the bits I collected while at the site.

Just to see if I could still do it I nipped into the garden and had a go. Am pleased to say that I had a fire going in about 2 minutes this time. The kids were very impressed.

Thanks to Fenlanders tuition and helping me with the choice of woods for the various parts etc.....it seems so easy now.........the use of "bits" for each end is a great idea......simple but great. It was also really helpful having Fenlander watch and giving advice like "Slow down, use the whole bow,steady, now speed up......" etc etc. I'd been going at it full pelt, ended up knackered and sweating and fed up when nothing happened.

I'll have to try it in a howling gale with driving rain next, and I'll let you know how I get on.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi folks. As I am based in Milton Keynes and my partner (Sandspec) is based in Lowestoft one or the other of us is forever travelling through your area. As "your neck ofthe woods" would not be too far for either of us to travel, would you mind if we came along to one of your meets and said "Hallo" ? I have a strange work rota of shifts, so cannot make many of the wekends that others might, but when I do get a weekend off it tends to be a 4 day affair.

Some idea of when and where you were meeting up would help me to check my rota and see if we can get to the meet.

All the best, Longstrider.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi guy's
if all goes well the Norfolk/Norwich group is having a Meet up this sunday at hevingham heath all of you are welcome to join us!
check out the thread for details.

can you PM me details of you next weekend Meetup i'm sure the guys in Norfolk/Norwich group would love to come along!

Cheers
Rich

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Very good news!

i have just booked the Garlveston scout camp site (near Dereham)for the Norwich and Norfolk group, anyone from the East Anglia Group is welcome
for the weekend of:

5th-6th August
£1.50p per person/night
(there was no space in july)

it sounds like a really nice site surrounded by trees,
a small wooded area,
huge field
3 flush loos
and a campfire area.

unfortunately we can oly light fires in the "camp fire" area though you can camp near it.
we are welcome to use hammocks but there's not space for many so prehaps be prepared to use a tarp insted, the warden also suggested using pioneering poles to make some sort of structure, but thats up to you.
many of the "trees" are too small for hammock use.

be aware
there are no shops in garvleston, the nearest is Tescos in dereham several miles away.
there's no mention of showers but hey i'm sure we can rough it!

there are no neighbours apart from a church yard (they don't make much noise).

the site will not have anyone else on it so it's all ours!

so make your excuses to the boss and family,
make space in your diary,
pack your bags,
and come along!

i will need details ASAP about whos coming, to figure out the cost.

to get to it i was given some rather confusing directions but i've de-coded it.

from Norwich follow the A47 southern bypass to Dereham,

at Dereham take a left on to the wymondham road B1135,

a few miles down the B1135 is Garvestone, turn right into the village.

aparently the entrance to the camp site is a small track next to a church,
there apears to be 1 church track next to it half way through the village on the right.
grid ref: TG 023 073(if that's any help)

Biddlesby might be able to clarify that one for us a bit!

the campsite will take 60 people and it'll be all ours!
hope to see you all there!
cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE