East Anglia Group! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i tried to get a east anglia group started earlier in the year but due to work and babies being born i was a little short of time.

over winter i will have a fair bit of freetime at weekends even weekdays, to do stuff.

does anyone want to meet up?
there are 365 pubs in Norwich! :naughty:

activities in the area could include:
woodland, naturewalks, hikes,
lightweight hiking/camping, long distance paths.

if you PM (Private message) Me i can send you an E-mail or text for my mobile number.

chears hope to meet you soon!
Richard (RAPPLEBY2000)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Only just seen this Richard. I would be up for meeting. We mentioned Thetford Forest last time IIRC. I'm driving distance from that sort of area but only just for a Friday night pub type meet. Distance however has never stopped me going to the pub before so if the time is right.

Would be good to go for an evening or one day meet first but whatever.

Count me in.

Bill

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hi out there you possible east anglian bushcraft group people, i met up with R-Bowskill today for a drink, we have already disscussed possible trips and camps! and others that may be interested.

anyone else want to meet up from the east angliqa region?
there are more possibilities than you may think!

PM me or E-mail (RAPPLEBY2000@YAHOO.CO.UK).

hope to hear from you!
:biggthump

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Howdy, just found this thread. An East Anglian group sounds like a great idea and I sure would be intrested. I'm located just south of Thetford forest.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
rangerbob, i`m from bury st eds too, but live in kent now , trying to move back that way , get back sometimes though

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Once the madness of Christmas / Hannukah / Winter Soltice (delete as appropriate) is over and I'm not working every day it'll be easier to get to either meet up or go places.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
as i say it would be great to meet up, christmas seems very busy for most of us, how about a meet up in spring?

couple of suggestions:

a pub meet then a walk (or visa versa) in a central location.

prehaps a camp at the coast over a weekend, so you can stay for the night or the whole weekend, try out new gear ect.

any ideas?

thetford seems quite a good central area to get to any other areas good to meet at?

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
Hi, just stumbled on this one. I'd be interested in doing something in this region too. I,m also, originally from the Bury St Edmunds area. Seems like a fairly central place for a few people.Anyone know of a wood we can legitimately borrow for a weekend? I'll be following up a few leads here.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
im not quite sure if i can find out but there was an area in thetford used by the scouts for survival camps, who owns it or how i find out i'm not sure.

just a thought off the top of my head, is it worth asking the MoD they have loads of land to spare in the area some quite small patches? anyone tried asking?

my father in law has several acres of land in the fens, all apple orchard and open farmland but there are areas which we could use, for basic shelters, fire lighting, camp craft, down side is it's right next to a busy road and theres the possibility we could be attacked by a big cat, well he thinks so :shock: . mabey more of a day out thing there?

even if we can't find a venue we could base ourselves on a standard campsite and go to a local woods to try bushcraft skills :biggthump

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I'm in subject to other stuff and gaining a weekend pass from my better half :wink:

I think there is room for a pub type meet and afternoon out as well as a whole weekend camp.

We have to get something going now there are several people interested.

Bill

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
im not quite sure if i can find out but there was an area in thetford used by the scouts for survival camps, who owns it or how i find out i'm not sure.

I think this is Thorpe Woodland, http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/caravanandcamping/sites/thorpe-woodland.asp
I know somone who has stayed here before and I know they allow fires. (At least they used to!)

There are only 2 campsites I know of in the Thetford Forest area. The other one is a private field on west farm in Hockham, but isn't really in the forest. No other info on this.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
just a thought off the top of my head, is it worth asking the MoD they have loads of land to spare in the area some quite small patches? anyone tried asking?

I've stayed on Stamford battle area about a dozen or so times when I was in army cadets about a decade ago. At that time cilvilians were strictly forbidden, and I've been asked to move further away when straying too close.
But, theres no harm in asking!

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I have access to a woodland site unfortunately its not very central for most of you, only a few miles North of me in Felixstowe.
Other places to try are the Scoutwebsite
http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/cgi-bin/camping/db.cgi?db=camping&uid=default
Dont Know if that will work
and look for sites for backwoods camping.
I dont know if they are open to non Scout use. The Lowestoft district site at Herringfleet was great when I last went there as a Wolf Cub.
I went past the Bradfield site which is near Bury but it seemed a bit too open for me.
The Hallowtree site near Ipswich is also a good site with views over the R. Orwell.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
my favourite campsite is called manor farm in east runton (north norfolk) yes its a standard site but smack ontop of the north norfolk coastal path, and you only have to walk yards to be in the contryside, it has all basic but sound showers ect, no fires allowed though.

norwich has a scout campsite i am very familiar with for over 15 years! called "eaton vale" i've campped as a scout and non and always enjoyed it, they used to provide half oil cans to burn wood in for your camp, also the obligatory scout camp fire area, a river runs through it and loads of local walks to be had in water meadows and woods, they also have a new center including an indoor climbing wall!

the thetford survival campsite i don't think was a regular site i think i can remember where it was i shall look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE