Earth Names

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Having recently seen brat camp on the TV in two out of the three series both the brats and instructors were given “earth names”

E.g. Shimering Aspen, Fire Shaper, and Reluctant Bison Charging amongst others.

I found myself quite liking this idea of a wilderness (outdoor name if you like) I could even go as far as to say I find it a touch of romance about it and would quite like one of my own or to have a bit of fun with friends giving names to each other.
I have seen a couple of examples of naming in the past:
The only real world example I have seen is the name of an African pupil at the school where I work and her names meaning in English is “people are dieing” she was given this name as her grandfather died around thetime she was born and names are given in her culture around events that happen at the time of birth may.
There was also group of users on the forum a wile ago that started a taking names for the selves “reverend so and so of the bushcrafti” if I remember correctly. If any of you are still out there how did you come to start giving/taking these names and how did you decide on them?

I quite like the giving of symbolic names and naming I’ve had had a bit of Google around but not found much. So does this type of naming used by the American camps have any roots with the indigenous people of North America or is it just made-up bunkum to add a spiritual edge to the course for the attendees? If it does have it’s roots in indigenous culture is there any ceremony or logic/convention to the giving of names in the Indian cultures and do words in the names have specific symbolisms?

If you have any other tit bits of information about tribal name giving through out the world maybe even in ancient European cultures please post anythings of interest all info welcome

James

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
jdlenton said:
There was also group of users on the forum a wile ago that started a taking names for the selves “reverend so and so of the bushcrafti” if I remember correctly. If any of you are still out there how did you come to start giving/taking these names and how did you decide on them?

James,

Have a look at Tomtom's signature ;)

IIRC that group you mention was the very first BCUK members meet up, organised by members themself. Thought it was the meet up in Ashwood forrest (??) in Sussex, by Paganwolf & Gary.

You might find your answer if you manage to find the old threads about that meet up.

Hope this helps!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
jdlenton said:

Urmm it was Maddave and the others that found a website that Ordained you.... it developed from there, probably not what you were after :p

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Is it like your gangster name? (Name of first pet + mum's maiden name. Mine's Fish Willis.)

Or perhaps you were after something more serious? ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Errr, not trying to be funny here but if I realised I was camping with people that gave out "Earth names" I think I would run a mile :eek:

Yours sincerley, Little Yogurt weaver ;)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Sorry -Switch=, marka & ilovemybed i have removed your posts ( they would not have made sence if edited) as they are not in keeping with the family nature of the forum and also have no relevance to my question.

I was quite serious in my question about naming especially naming ceremonies and ideologies of indigenous people sorry if this sounds a bit dry but gangster names, starwars names and the other type of name that your post have been moderated because they mention directly are not what I'm after I've seen most of them via email in the past and had fun with them. A quick google would find others in that vein but thats not what i'm after thanks for the replies

James

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ahjno said:
Thought it was the meet up in Ashwood forrest (??) in Sussex, by Paganwolf & Gary.

Nothing to do with Ashdown I'm afraid.... :)

I get called Bam by most of my bushcraft mates....it could be coz I speak (and type sometimes) before I think and "BAM", I've put my foot in it again.....but more likely it's just coz it's short for my username! lol :lmao:

There was a joke about how a little first nation boy got his name...something to do with a couple of dogs his grandfather had seen when he was born but seeing as the hand of moderation is already poised over this thread I'll refrain from mentioning the joke in it's entirety ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Back on topic.. while the bushcrafti came up in jest with other forum members i do think this is an intersting topic..

i have heard that in many other cultures people will change their names at different stages of life or because of important events in their lives such as coming of age or surviving a great ordeal.. i have also read that these names can be bestowed upon you by friends family or even enemys i guess.. i guess if you think of it in our culture nick names are common they may not sound so romantic for example my uncle used to call me 'tomtom me coot' i have no idea why but thats where the name come from and nowadays a fair few people call me by that name.. i also know a guy who has studys and practices the shamanic faith.. he told me that one day he was driving along and he felt an over wealming urge that he needed a new name and that he should find out what it is.. he obviously still goes by his christian name for most things it would be very confusing to change you name compleatly and he keeps the name mostly private.
anyways.. im rambling, good thread J :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
jdlenton said:
Sorry -Switch=, marka & ilovemybed i have removed your posts ( they would not have made sence if edited) as they are not in keeping with the family nature of the forum and also have no relevance to my question.

I was quite serious in my question about naming especially naming ceremonies and ideologies of indigenous people sorry if this sounds a bit dry but gangster names, starwars names and the other type of name that your post have been moderated because they mention directly are not what I'm after I've seen most of them via email in the past and had fun with them. A quick google would find others in that vein but thats not what i'm after thanks for the replies

James

Hi James,
Sorry for straying a little off topic. I'm worried though that people might think we were swearing blue or being properly crude from your response. I've seen more risque comments go through without any moderation. Still it was definitely off topic so you're quite right to delete them.

Anyway, for a more on-topic contribution:
You'll find that a lot of common anglicised names were originated through similar method, it's just that they're now taken for granted.

e.g. Christopher means "Carrier of Christ" and was given to St. Christopher after he carried Jesus on his back (Dunno why he did that...)

Alexander is derived from the Greek for "Defender of Men"

Philip is from the greek for "Friend of Horses"

Crispin means "Curly haired"

My favourite is Algernon, which derives from Norman dialect for "Having a Moustache"

I think the tradition has lapsed, with the advent of organised religion and widespread literacy it has become popular to name your child after a popular figure in history or lore. Surnames have also changed from their original use as a description of what you do or where you're from to a reference to your blood line. I think it's a trend carried over from Norman noblemen, who were keen to show their heritage.

I think the key to a tribal name, in the style you are suggesting in your original post, is that it must given by someone else, as a result of either earning it through one's acts or through some sort of unique characteristic. Once can't force open the petals of a rose, to paraphrase a much wiser man than I...

Hope you find some of that blurb interesting,
Neil

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Some of the brats on Brat camp received their 'earth names' with barely concealed distain. :)

I think 'earth names' are a product of your society. Giving urban living cynics names like this only labels the giver as a 'hippy type' and just reinforces the sterotypical image some of these people have of the 'knit your own sandals' crew.

On the other hand where you live in close proximity with nature and where everyone else has a name that signifies something, then it's a badge of inclusion and of extreme importance to a society that values such things.

In the same way I get annoyed seeing 'rotweiler man' with maori tattoos, the meaning of which he has'nt a clue, but had it done 'cos he liked it'

... anything like this taken out of the societial context ultimately devalues it.

IMHO

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
ilovemybed said:
Hi James,
I'm worried though that people might think we were swearing blue or being properly crude from your response. I've seen more risque comments go through without any moderation. Still it was definitely off topic so you're quite right to delete them.
Hi Neil your post weren't that bad really just not in keeping with the forum or anything to do with the original question please don't be worried its never nice when you get moded I know how you feel.

tomtom said:
he told me that one day he was driving along and he felt an overwhelming urge that he needed a new name and that he should find out what it is..
I'm sort of having a similar experience this is why I'm asking, get some info see where it leads.

James

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It's not only an olden day or primative thing...it happens today in various guises:

P.Diddy
Ice Tea
Snoop doggy dog
Eminem
Slipmatt

Jack the Hat McVitie
Mad Frankie frazer
The Governer

Golden Balls
The Wicked Witch

And so on....the top few examples I have given are quite reasonably "Tribal" names and although their tribes are urban in location and musically and mob related they are nevertheless tribal.

This is turning out to be quite an interesting thread JL....nice one :)

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
bambodoggy said:
It's not only an olden day or primative thing...it happens today in various guises:

P.Diddy
Ice Tea
Snoop doggy dog
Eminem
Slipmatt

Jack the Hat McVitie
Mad Frankie frazer
The Governer

Golden Balls
The Wicked Witch

And so on....the top few examples I have given are quite reasonably "Tribal" names and although their tribes are urban in location and musically and mob related they are nevertheless tribal.

This is turning out to be quite an interesting thread JL....nice one :)

Bam,

A point nicely put. :)

IMO a tribal name would be one given to you by others of your tribe/clan/group rather than a name chosen for yourself as it would give a honest view. We would all like to give oursleves a tribal name as we would like to percieved but it may not be what others see/percieve.

Cheers

StormWalker.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Personally i cringed when i heard about these Earth name things. I think its people borrowing from other cultures to try and give meaning to their own.

Amongst the things Bushcraft has taught me, is to respect my own culture and its history and not jump on another to appear more in tune with nature anymore than england`s rural ancestors. I do not see anything wrong with using the name my parents gave me at birth to me the name i use in the wild areas of our planet and I do not see anything gained by having a made up name. I`d have used it on here if someone hadn`t already chosen it.

In short its the hippy mentality as it appears to me, a lot of saying and not a lot of doing.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I think that the taking of a new name has been restricted in modern societies due to the systems in place for recording our actions.

if I suddenly changed my name or was given a new name tomorrow my friends and colleges would quickly adapt to the new name, however my bank, utility companies and the home office might have some objections!!!!

this is not the case in most of the world though, when I travelled around Borneo last, I employed a Murut driver to get me into the interior via the logging roads whos name was willy. an odd name for a Murut I thought but of course it was not his original name, just one he had assumed at some point and everyone knew him by it

In Mauritius most of the locals I met were not known by there original names, my wife I have always known as cindy (as she is known to her friends), but her family call her yolene neither of which are the first name on her birth certificate!

but then if you don’t live by the bureaucracy that we live by here why not change your name to something you prefer? Or be awarded a name by those that know you best

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE