Dutch ovens at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Right then, I was just thinking that it might be a great idea to have some dutch oven cooking on the same evening as the Hangi that we do. So if anyone has a dutch oven bring it along and cook something we can add to the food, it's a taster evening so there's no need to do a five course meal...unless you want to of course :D We'll make sure there's enough bricketts/coals to use and we can cook them in the fort. I've no idea who's got them and what you like to cook in them but it could be great fun trying new things.

Ideas and thoughts in this thread for anyone that's interested.

Matt and Sam can do something and so can Richard and Linda Cook :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Excellent idea Tony,
not only will that ease the job of the hangi team, but I'm all for seeing how other folk cook!
There have been some great threads recently showing cooking equipment, so I'll be taking great interest in seeing it in the flesh and chatting about recipes.

Ogri the trog

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have two in the basement that I have upgraded with a different one now. I was going to offer this up for sale eventually when I can take it to the UK at the end of July, sadly that's going to be too late for the Moot. It's a 4 litre cast iron one with two handles and a lid.

I'd offer it up now for anyone wanting it but the postage from France would be crippling.

I could find out if anyone would like to have themselves a Dutch oven.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit Tony, but another dutch oven turning up might help with the numbers and all.

Last edited:

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
won a large one at Ronnie sunshines open day so will bring that along. I have a couple of dutch oven cookbooks with loads of recipes in. will bring those too for folks to have a look at.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I would, but I'm travelling by train, and I have to physically carry everything I want to take.
Adding a couple of Dutch Ovens to my pack is not a popular option with my back :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would, but I'm travelling by train, and I have to physically carry everything I want to take.
Adding a couple of Dutch Ovens to my pack is not a popular option with my back :D

This is as much a question as it is a suggestion since I don't really know how feasible it is. Would it be possible to send heavier items ahead for someone to pick up and hold for you? I do NOT mean send by post as I know that would be cost prohibitive. Rather I was thinking of the possibility of sending as freight on an earlier train or bus. I know the train and bus lines here will do that to an extent and it's considerably cheaper than the post.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It's not a bad idea, but I have a little problem.
I'm in Saudi at the moment, my gear for the Moot is in Dundee.
I'll be flying back into the UK, arriving at home on Thursday around Lunchtime.
I need to get to my storage locker, find my stuff, choose what I'm taking, pack my rucksack, etc
Then I travel down south to the Moot on the Friday morning.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
chillie is good :D

Anyone know how to bake desserts in them?

The easiest way is to follow whatever recipe you'd use in a conventional oven. Just place the dessert in a disposable pie tin and place that in the DO. Coals under the bottom and coals on the top to regulate the oven temp. With practice you can bake desserts or breads this way (especially quick breads)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've done a steamed sponge in a dutch oven.
I put the mix into a bowl and poured water around it, then put it into the coals.
As long as it doesn't go dry you should be fine.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I only have a small one... But its perfectly formed :)

Not really a desert person, but I can make a rather good chicken chasseur- or some type of soup, cold or hot.

I'll consult my cookbooks when home!

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE